Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filter installation?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hey,
    Just got a 2 inch LPR filter to de-orangify my photography. I cant figure
    out where to connect it. My current set up is SCT - Focal Reducer - T ring - Camera (Cannon 350D). It wont screw into any of the components. I assume I need an adapter but I cant figure which of the first light optic ones (if any) will do the job.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Hey,
    Just got a 2 inch LPR filter to de-orangify my photography. I cant figure
    out where to connect it. My current set up is SCT - Focal Reducer - T ring - Camera (Cannon 350D). It wont screw into any of the components. I assume I need an adapter but I cant figure which of the first light optic ones (if any) will do the job.

Filters normally screw on to the bottom of the eyepiece, so it stands to reason it should fit onto the end of the focal reducer.

Telescope > filter > focal reducer > T ring> Camera

what focal reducer do you use, maybe you just have to look for any 2 Inch dual "threaded" focal reducer, thats with the normal threads on one side for the t ring and an extra thread on the other end for a filter

Posting pics may be helpful

Out of curiosity do you shoot raws, edit them (with filters etc) and save them to jpeg and then stack them or just shoot jpegs and then stack them?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Hi Slade_x,
    Thanks for the reply. My scope is Nexstar11 gps. Focal reducer is a celestron one, screws straight into the scope. Scope's bore will not thread
    a 2inch filter. Other end of the reducer is exactly the same size as the filter so cant thread there either. A celestron T-ring fits over this. If I use a 2inch dual threaded reducer it wont connect to the scope as far as I can tell. Im seriously thinking of cutting the glass out of the filter and sanding it down until it fits over my camera aperture but that will comprimise the optics to say the least. I will try take pics tonight.
    I take RAW fits, batch de-dark them, then batch square and demosaic before aligning and stacking, save to a 16 bit TIFF then edit polish and ultimately output as a jpeg.

Advertisement