Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities for 11-15 year old boys in Dublin, during July

Options
  • 02-04-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, we're having some nephews and a family friend's son (+parent) come to visit for the first two weeks of July. They're Spanish, but have some English (and in any case they will have my either my wife or one of my kids to hand to translate for them) and we're looking for ideas for activities to put them in (the idea being that they mix with lads roughly their own age, have a bit of craic and improve their English. They're soccer-mad, but it would appear that any of the summer soccer camps are full up at this stage :/

We're based in D3, but stuff around that's not too far away by car would be fine.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Failing anything outdoorsy, I guess we could enroll them in a language school, but that's a last resort.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Around that time of year there are loads of summer cames,Sportslink out in Santry have some great ones wit football,swimming,basketball etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

If you are interested in Hurling or Gaelic Football, Parnell's GAA in Artane always have a summer camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Lars1916 wrote: »
    If you are interested in Hurling or Gaelic Football, Parnell's GAA in Artane always have a summer camp.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the lads, being Spanish, won't have a rashers about GAA, and at that age will be miles behind lads of their own age in terms of skills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Yakuza wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the lads, being Spanish, won't have a rashers about GAA, and at that age will be miles behind lads of their own age in terms of skills etc.

They could pick up Gaelic Football skills pretty easily. Particularly if they have played both basketball and soccer. Xabi Alonso played GAA for the summer when he was 14, maybe one of the Spaniards will be the next Xabi Alonso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Dublin City Council run tennis lessons in all council parks (the ones with tennis courts). It's very cheap, my 8 year old daughter loved it for the last 2 years. Ring the parks dept for info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

DCU do sports summer camps which include soccer, basketball, swimming, rock-climbing, trampolining etc.
    Westwood in Clontarf do tennis camps.
    If not too far you could try Fingal sailing school Malahide. They do sailing, wind-surfing, kayaking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

They could pick up Gaelic Football skills pretty easily. Particularly if they have played both basketball and soccer. Xabi Alonso played GAA for the summer when he was 14, maybe one of the Spaniards will be the next Xabi Alonso

Wow! I didn't know that. Very interesting. Oddly enough, my nephews (and my kids) have a second cousin who played for Barça and Espanyol (De la Peña), so you could very well be right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Wow! I didn't know that. Very interesting. Oddly enough, my nephews (and my kids) have a second cousin who played for Barça and Espanyol (De la Peña), so you could very well be right :)

If you're based in D3, both Scoil Uí Chonaill and Clontarf GAA have summer camps, aimed at kids of all abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Jeez :) you kick it and you pick it up and kick it :)

Also I don't believe the soccer camps are full yet. But check them out because some of them are ripoffs :(

Some schools also run mixed activity summer schools. Swimming, football, art, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Piliger wrote: »
    Jeez :) you kick it and you pick it up and kick it :)

Also I don't believe the soccer camps are full yet. But check them out because some of them are ripoffs :(

Some schools also run mixed activity summer schools. Swimming, football, art, etc etc.

As far as I remember, there is always a few free spots in Parnell's GAA. And they take a Fiver each day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement