Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting a Maple tree

Options
  • 02-04-2012 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi folks... Looking for a bit of advice please and to get a general consensus so to speak....

I have just planted a Maple Tree in my front garden that was originally blown in to a pot by seed, I presume. I planted it about 25 feet from the house and only 7 feet from a wall.. Does anyone know if I have planted a tree that is really not suitable for a garden out will it be ok if I just keep it topped at a certain height...

Any and all advice greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It will be fine, won't need any attention for a good few years and then as you said keep into desired shape.

Trees are great in a garden it's just that people are either afraid or forget to prune them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭NJS007

bbam wrote: »
    It will be fine, won't need any attention for a good few years and then as you said keep into desired shape.

Trees are great in a garden it's just that people are either afraid or forget to prune them.

Thanks for that . Was concerned about root system as well, but will keep it under control.. Thanks again.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

NJS007 wrote: »
    Hi folks... Looking for a bit of advice please and to get a general consensus so to speak....

I have just planted a Maple Tree in my front garden that was originally blown in to a pot by seed, I presume. I planted it about 25 feet from the house and only 7 feet from a wall.. Does anyone know if I have planted a tree that is really not suitable for a garden out will it be ok if I just keep it topped at a certain height...

Any and all advice greatly appreciated..

Trees in general put out roots as tall as the tree grows

Do you know what type of maple it is , as its quite a big family?

Just beware the roots if you let it get too big

http://www.aboutmapletrees.com/maple_tree_root_system.shtml

No don't know what type of maple it is but i'll definetly keep an eye on the height and not let it'd get to big.. Thanks for the link....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

Some Maple Trees grow very big and are not suitable for a small garden. and their roots can damage water and sewerage pipes. I would find out what kind of Maple tree it is if I were you..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bbam wrote: »

Do you know what "type/variant" of Maple tree it is??

You also need to know how to prune a young tree propperly,especially with regards the leaders.

Otherwize,you will make absolute shyte of the tree.

kynzvart wrote: »
    Some Maple Trees grow very big and are not suitable for a small garden. and their roots can damage water and sewerage pipes. I would find out what kind of Maple tree it is if I were you..

I think that it is a Norway Maple tree. From recollection of the leaf last year, the leaves were green with the 5 points, again really tough to know what to do with it.... Maybe i should just replant it into a large pot for the moment until i can decipher what variety of tree it is....

What do you think? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I think that it is a Norway Maple tree. From recollection of the leaf last year, the leaves were green with the 5 points, again really tough to know what to do with it.... Maybe i should just replant it into a large pot for the moment until i can decipher what variety of tree it is....

What do you think? :confused:

Yep, control the growth by pot size - good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

Good idea to put it in a pot, I have a Rowan tree in a pot looks great, and I can keep it to the size I want.

Thanks for all the posts guys, really appreciate it... If I put it into a pot will I have to change the compost every year, or do I simple feed it with miracle grow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That description of a seed being blown into a pot and growing sounds a lot like sycamore to me. I really doubt you would want a sycamore in your garden. Are there any maples in adjoining gardens that the seed could have come from?

looksee wrote: »
    That description of a seed being blown into a pot and growing sounds a lot like sycamore to me. I really doubt you would want a sycamore in your garden. Are there any maples in adjoining gardens that the seed could have come from?

Hi looksee, not really sure to be honest. but i have just had a look at a sycamore tree leaf and it is not dis-similar to the maple ( or am I mad?)
    Are sycamore trees to big for a garden? . Maybe i will grow it in a pot like i had mentioned earlier and then plant it in the green area just out side the house... (The green area is only for 2 house as we are in a secluded part of our estate....) What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RobTree

Hi looksee, not really sure to be honest. but i have just had a look at a sycamore tree leaf and it is not dis-similar to the maple ( or am I mad?)
    Are sycamore trees to big for a garden? . Maybe i will grow it in a pot like i had mentioned earlier and then plant it in the green area just out side the house... (The green area is only for 2 house as we are in a secluded part of our estate....) What do you think?

Sycamores are Maples. If I had one in a pot i'd put it in the post and send it back to America. Go and buy a Field Maple whip from a nursery and plant that instead, it will probably cost a couple of euros, it doesn't grow a fast, it doesn't get as big and it's a non invasive native species.

Saying that a mature Sycamore is a fine sight, I just wouldn't go there to start with.

Advertisement