Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a little help please

Options
  • 02-04-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I am baking a cake for a surprise party on Saturday, the cake is not the issue however i could use a little help with the finishing of it... i was thinking of using either fresh cream or butter cream icing. The thing is i will have to travel with the cake for about 20 miles, i'm worried that the cream will drop off.. any advice as to what i should do regarding the topping would be brilliant :D

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I made a cake for my mothers birthday that was covered in a fresh whipped cream mousse. Drove 79km and none of it shifted! Just make sure the container it's in doesn't move around during traveling and it should be fine. If worst comes to worst, you can scoop up the fresh cream and reapply it to the cake, its not always as easy with buttercream.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭skyline1515

Thank you for the reply, i will do that, it has put my mind to rest about the whole thing... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

i'd use buttercream and have your cake in the fridge before you leave so the butter in it has solidified, will give you more leeway on melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gin Fizz

What sort of cake are you making? You can get some very nice ready made icing in different colours that you just roll out

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭skyline1515

Thank you all for your help, i made a triple layer chocolate cake, and cheated by using betty crocker vanilla icing in a tub, i added a little melted chocolate to some of the icing for colour and it turned out amazing, he was delighted...:D

thanks a million again, mods can lock this thread if you wish to..

• Advertisement
Advertisement