Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Town Advise

Options
  • 02-04-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hello,

Planning a weekend to Sligo and need some advise as I've never been before :)

I am just wondering how close the Glasshouse Hotel is to the bus station in Sligo (is it walking distance? :))

Also how much approximately would it cost to get a taxi to Sligo Airport?

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The Glasshouse would be about ten minutes walk from the bus station. Not sure if there are any flights operating from Sligo airport....but I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Chibodee

Hiya! Thanks so much for the information! Yeah we're heading to airport for a flying lesson! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Chibodee wrote: »
    Hiya! Thanks so much for the information! Yeah we're heading to airport for a flying lesson! :)

Oh right!:) I don't know how much a taxi would cost. Have fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I would've said it's a five minute walk.

A taxi would be around fifteen euro, a little more maybe. You could get a bus from right beside the Glasshouse to Strandhill and walk to it, it's just down a road to the right of the village, no more than ten minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

+1 on the taxi charges and the bus. When the airport was operating, the buses would also go out to the airport on request (only a few minutes from the main bustop in Strandhill), not sure if this would still be the case now that its closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

the airport still is operating the scheduled flights are not though. def call bus eireann and see can you save that taxi fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Bus might be a few quid too, shop around for quotes with taxi, a mate of mine (I think) gets a regular taxi for a 10 spot. Besides if there's a few of you, the taxi is as cheap as the bus, less waiting more time to enjoy the experience, hang the poverty bit if u can.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

The bus is 3:60 one way. Not sure how much a return is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I'm with UrbanSea on that, taxi to Strandhill is anywhere between €13 and €16.

Have a look at Bus Timetables HERE they might suit. They only go to the airport on the 6.30pm run as that was when the Dublin Commuter plane came in. Even though it doesn't operate, the bus still goes over for some reason. I'm sure for other times if you ask the driver her might drop you over other than that (if it's good weather) it's only a 7/8 minute walk from the Bus Stop at Car Park to the airport.

edolan wrote: »
    The bus is 3:60 one way. Not sure how much a return is.

Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ouch!

Not bad when you compare it to 15 yoyo plus in a taxi (cant remember if that covers additional passenger charges should mr or mrs taxi driver decide to add it).

Of course there is no arguing with €3.60 versus circa €15, but I'm assuming that there is more than one in the party...:D

"Yeah we're heading to airport for a flying lesson! "

my usual (Zero) taxi normally charge circa €13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Haggle with the taxi driver beforehand i always get out to Rosses point for a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

according to google maps it is an eight minute walk,,and see map belowglass bouse.jpg

Tell you what, you can borrow my bike to cycle out to Strandhill.

I'll leave it at Wolfe Tone bus station padlocked to the railings. You can pick up the key at The Southern Hotel Reception.

I'll get a taxi back to the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Foggles

If you are going to the Airport on the weekend you might be able to get a ride back into town with some of the Aeroclub gang that hang out there. There is plenty to see and do in Strandhill while you wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 groundhurling

Foggles wrote: »
    There is plenty to see and do in Strandhill while you wait.

Very true! Its very picturesque, if you like surfing, you'll love strandhill. There's plenty of bars and food there.

Advertisement