Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.243 ammo choice for Rem. 700

Options
  • 02-04-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks. I've got myself a Remington 700 sps .243 and I'm wondering what opinions you guys have about bullet choice. I have PPU soft nose 100gr, Federal 100gr Nosler Tip, and Federal 80gr "power shock"...

I'm anxious to settle on just one round for everything so I'm not constantly changing my point of impact. Once zero'd my shooting will be deer & fox for the rest of the year.

So rather than putting €€€ of bullets through it myself to find out I thought I'd ask you guys... ie. PPU any good??... 80gr heavy enough for larger deer??... Nosler tips too destructive to meat?? etc.

Also, I'd appreciate input on how much you're paying and what dealers you but bullets from.

THANKS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Not trying to be smart but why not let your rifle tell you whats best for the job .
    What ever shoot best out of the rifle would be my choice !
    Best of luck either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

That's what I'll ultimately be doing but there's no harm in hearing the view of someone else who may in fact have the exact same setup as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

The 80 grain federal should be your best of both worlds id say lad. I used them for a while last year and had great results wit them. Shot a few foxes and a couple of red and sika deer with them. I can't seem to get them anywhere now though. From memory they are around 25 a box so not too hard on the pocket either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Or ever try 100 grain Remmys at 20euro a box but they drop very fast

4200fps wrote: »

Yep they would be plenty good for a bit of stalking and foxing. Best thing is get out and try a few brands.

• Advertisement

silverfox1 wrote: »
    Yep they would be plenty good for a bit of stalking and foxing. Best thing is get out and try a few brands.
    Thats true. If one had lots of cash and wanted soft point i think Norma,Lapua or RWS be the best hunting round but they are very expensive and hard got as this country is 5 years behind on new products

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The 80 grain federal should be your best of both worlds id say lad. I used them for a while last year and had great results wit them. Shot a few foxes and a couple of red and sika deer with them. I can't seem to get them anywhere now though. From memory they are around 25 a box so not too hard on the pocket either.

The 80 gr federal were designed as a foxing round and expand very fast and a lot of people when i read up about them found them very bad on deer for heart lung shots as the bullet wasn't penetrating enough when it hit bone and most of their deer were running.
    I know of one lad who got rid of what he had left over because too many deer got to far and couldnt be found.

100gr federal are good and are the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

95 grain Hornady V max does it nicly for me on red.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭243Xpress

Thats a cheap price for the remmys.Where can you get them at that price.

garv123 wrote: »
    The 80 gr federal were designed as a foxing round and expand very fast and a lot of people when i read up about them found them very bad on deer for heart lung shots as the bullet wasn't penetrating enough when it hit bone and most of their deer were running.
    I know of one lad who got rid of what he had left over because too many deer got to far and couldnt be found.

I had no bother that way with the 80 grain. Everything i shot dropped on the spot. I could have been lucky though.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »

Are the 100 gr Federals you speak of ballistic tip vital shock or do they make the soft point in that weight?

Where are you guys buying from these days? I too would like to know where € 20 remys can be bought please.

Thanks for the info BTW. Keep it coming!!

243Xpress wrote: »
    Thats a cheap price for the remmys.Where can you get them at that price.
    Karl Scollans in Drumshambo Co .Leitrim. If you want his number PM me

Anybody on this know who stocks Hornady Superformance 80 grain ballistics for the 243?

Anybody on this know who stocks Hornady Superformance 80 grain ballistics for the 243?

John Lambert in camolin in wexford might be worth a try. He is normally a good lad to deal with. Or stakelums in thurles

Paddy Carley in Wexford also has superformance.

Anyone using PPU??

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Robotack wrote: »
    Anyone using PPU??

Recent thread on PPU here. Good reports on it.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056439558?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I bought 100 of these privi this time last year and could not get them to group < 6 inches.... 'nevermind i said, they will do for fox', tikka says no again........ i'm sure i missed a couple of reds this season under the lamp due to this ammo:(.....for 4-5 euro extra i'd try the remmington's first.

Read on a uk forum that the 90g are known to be far superior to the 100g which is why we are left with the latter ........

I was in my local dealers shop today and he has Winchester Super X 100gr for €28 I think... Haven't heard much about that round.

He also has Remmy core lockt 100 but they are €31.50. Seems expensive for the Remmy?

Robotack wrote: »
    I was in my local dealers shop today and he has Winchester Super X 100gr for €28 I think... Haven't heard much about that round.

He also has Remmy core lockt 100 but they are €31.50. Seems expensive for the Remmy?

Any opinions on the Winchester?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

always found the norma 75 grain
    to be an excellent longrange fox round
    cant get it anywhere now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Read on a uk forum that the 90g are known to be far superior to the 100g which is why we are left with the latter ........

Sir, that's a rather sweeping statement to make, implying that the UK gets first choice and you get the unwanted or less popular crumbs.

It is, of course, not true.

Your dealers can make their own deals with the distributors, so it's THEM you want to ask to pull their finger out.

tac

Advertisement