Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A house opposite a pub

Options
  • 02-04-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi
    There is a house for rent just opposite "Leopardstown Inn" - 20 meters on the other side of a road.

The house itself is Ok, but my main concern is PUB.
    Friends of mine were renting just opposite of "Purty Kitchen" in Dun Laoghaire
    and they were terrified every weekend by laud music, parties etc.

Can you advise what is weekend and after work situation with Leopardstown Inn?

Is it ok for family with small kids to leave beside it or it is better to look somewhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Best advise would be to take a drive up there on a Saturday night and see for yourself. Go during the week and then late on a Saturday night/Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sherwoodp

I did it last Saturday.
    Got mixed feelings.

Everything was more or less Ok until a group of people went out for smoking/talking. It was not very warm night, so they went back quickly enough.
    It was loud enough for me (during these 5 minutes), but I was outside as well (just 15 meters away).
    I am not sure what sounds proof of normal house is for "chatting" type of noise.

So looking for the second opinion or experience of people living not far away from quite pub (as i would consider leopardstown Inn as quite pub, but maybe i totally wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

When buying so near a pub it is also important to consider that sometimes pubs have 21st or aim for a younger group etc and these can lead to a major difference in atmosphere on weekend nights etc.

Personally i would not like to live within hearing distance of a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

OP, my advice would be steer well clear. I lived next to a pub on more than one occasion and it was absolutely terrible.

If you live within 20 metres of this pub, you will have to put up with seeing people pissing outside your house, vomiting, screaming/shouting, fighting and god knows what else. It doesn't matter what the clientele are like or how nice the area is, these things will happen very frequently if the clientele are dodgey or very infrequently if it's a respectable crowd, but it definitely will happen on some level, believe me.

The noise is another factor as well. Pubs couldn't give a toss about the neighbours, all they want is the income. I had to take a pub to court just to get a night's sleep, and this was in a residential area.

It's the last place you would want with children to be honest. Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

sherwoodp wrote: »
    Hi
    There is a house for rent just opposite "Leopardstown Inn" - 20 meters on the other side of a road.

The house itself is Ok, but my main concern is PUB.
    Friends of mine were renting just opposite of "Purty Kitchen" in Dun Laoghaire
    and they were terrified every weekend by laud music, parties etc.

Can you advise what is weekend and after work situation with Leopardstown Inn?

Is it ok for family with small kids to leave beside it or it is better to look somewhere else?

The leopardstown inn is not really a massive party pub, i've never lived near the place but been in there plently of time's and i cant imagine there would be much noise heard by the neightbours. There's is noting else around there except the pub so most people disappear without hanging around.

They have a dedicated smoking room out the back of the place, but i doubt very much you would be able to hear people smoking out the front talking across a large carpark road and then road.

• Advertisement

omega666 wrote: »
    The leopardstown inn is not really a massive party pub, i've never lived near the place but been in there plently of time's and i cant imagine there would be much noise heard by the neightbours. There's is noting else around there except the pub so most people disappear without hanging around.

They have a dedicated smoking room out the back of the place, but i doubt very much you would be able to hear people smoking out the front talking across a large carpark road and then road.
    But a property is a long term investment all it would take is a change in ownership at the bar (which is happening all the time these days)
    or the bar to start marketing to a younger group etc etc.

I wouldnt buy the house now without considering the long term possibilites, at the end of the day op you could be living there the rest of your life, noise levels now are not a guage for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

But a property is a long term investment all it would take is a change in ownership at the bar (which is happening all the time these days)

I wouldnt buy the house now without considering the long term possibilites, at the end of the day op you could be living there the rest of your life, noise levels now are not a guage for the future.

The OP is only looking to rent the house.

omega666 wrote: »
    The OP is only looking to rent the house.
    I would assume since hes moving his family into this home , it would be a long term thing of 1 year or more. The same argument against applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ronnie Binge

The Lep Inn has a fairly well establised and mostly upmarket clientele. Depending on how long a lease on a property will be, I don't think the Merc drivers will be swapped for alcopop swigging howayas anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Many many years ago in my college days found myself twice living near pubs. The music/people noise was never really an issue, it was the clearing up and binning of bottles at 3am or the loading and unloading of kegs at 6am that used to get me.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

alcopop swigging howayas

Just made my day hahaha

HOWYASSS YA ARITE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Lep Inn has a fairly well establised and mostly upmarket clientele. Depending on how long a lease on a property will be, I don't think the Merc drivers will be swapped for alcopop swigging howayas anytime soon.

Regardless of whatever socio-economic class they fit into after a few pints people outside having cigarettes are going to be noisy. All the 'Please Respect Our Neighbours' signs in the world won't change that.

In the summer be prepared for noise up to 1 or 2 in the morning.

Nothing you can do to stop them either so I'd avoid the place myself if I was you.

Advertisement