Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do the HPAT next year

Options
  • 02-04-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I was going to do medicine this year but I lost interest in it after a while and got really interested in computer science and I chose to do that in DIT. Now I'm getting really interested in medicine again but I know I've missed the HPAT (or at least the application date).

I only ask because I asked here a few months ago whether you did the HPAT before or after the leaving cert and everyone said before. So, if I want to do HPAT 2013, do I have to repeat my leaving cert or can I use this year's result and just do the first year of computer science?

Also, is it normal to start second guessing yourself over this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

You can just sit the HPAT next year and leave your Leaving Cert results as they are. Registration for the 2013 exam (which will probably be held in February) will open sometime in November, so make sure to check the website (http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/) around then. It would also be a good idea to go there now and have a look at some of the other requirements, as well as getting a feel for what the test entails. A lot of people advocate starting study for it quite early on, particularly if they're getting grinds or going on a course. Personally all I did was buy the past paper and spent several hours with that - and it all came off very well. Since it's an aptitude test, results vary wildly, and there's no right or wrong way to approach the exam.

It's a big decision, so yeah second guessing is normal. You've got several months though to decide if you want to apply this year, and there are of course graduate entry options if you keep going with your current degree and still feel like you want to do Medicine. There are plenty of threads around boards with people asking about the course and the career which would be a good starting point for getting some opinions and thinking it through more thoroughly.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Just bear in mind that if you do go into computer science, do 1st year then get accepted into medicine, you'll have to pay the fees for 1st year in medicine.

Advertisement