Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save Marina Park.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 SaveMarinaPark

Marina Park Draft Masterplan

http://savemarinapark.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Marina-Park.jpg

Still no sign of the GAA's planning application for the "Centre of Excellence" and redevelopment of the Stadium.

Press release: Marina Park Draft Masterplan
    Posted on November 30, 2012
    The Save Marina Park Group welcomes the recent submission by OKRA Landscape Architects of the Marina Park Draft Masterplan and looks forward to engaging in meaningful consultation with the City Council and other stakeholders in the coming weeks. From the information available to us at this stage it appears that the proposed Marina Park has been designed exclusively with the needs of the stadium redevelopment plan in mind.

The proposed Marina Park needs to cater for the recreational needs of a broad spectrum of users from the daily local user to the once-a-year GAA fan. However these proposals seem skewed towards the needs of the stadium which lies idle for 93% of the year.

Illustrating this is the fact that the amount of land allocated to public sports facilities is equivalent to a tennis court-sized space and lies in the path of a planned road (Eastern Gateway approach) and the remaining green area is compromised by the development needs of the stadium.

We hope that through consultation these matters can be clarified and a proper balance serving the needs of all stakeholders can be achieved for the benefit of Cork, its environs and its people.

Note to editor: The Save Marina Park Group was formed following a public meeting in October 2011 arranged by Cllr.Des Cahill (FG) and attended by Cllr. Denis O’Flynn (LAB), Cllr. Chris O’Leary (SF) and Bob Ryan of the GAA Cork County Board that highlighted the proposed re-zoning issue and the proposed re-development of the stadium.

http://savemarinapark.com/index.php/press-release-marina-park-draft-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I'm from the area and I'm just wondering: Why do you want a green area down in the showgrounds area specifically? The points I've seen so far in favour are 1) a place to play with your kids and 2) somewhere to exercise.

I go running down the marina regularly for exercise, and when I was a kid there was no lack of green areas to kick a ball around, so I don't particularly think another open space is going to add much to the area.

I take your point about litter but to be fair it's the price to be paid when the stadium is packed. It happens in every stadium unfortunately, surely the area gets it back in the cash spent in pubs, shops, etc?

To be honest the concept of a Centre of Excellence to help Cork get back winning All Irelands is a worthy cause in my opinion.

This sounds a bit trollish I know but I haven't seen too much on the other side of the argument ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The plan looks good, lot of area for development down here.

I work about 2 minutes away and grew up only just past the castle so it would be nice to see the area get a re-development.

The proposed bridge to connect the other side of the river would be an excellent idea but not sure if its viable as ships still sell up towards the city and woudl require a high bridge which doesnt seem viable or maybe dredge the channel or maybe a moveable bridge all seems expensive but could be worth it, it woudl easy congestion if there was a match on but as the report mentioned the stadium is idle alot of the time so a bridge maybe out of the question given the proximity of the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

As someone living very close by, I think the plans look good. I would have liked the following:
    • Street lighting all along the river, in the park and on the railway line all the way up to the Mahon.
    • Footpaths very where on the map in the attached plans to be level/flat. (for anyone jogging the footpaths can be very uneven in places).
    • The think that the all weather pitch should be open to the general public and open to non GAA sports. Any other facilities there should also be open to the public and not restricted to a "club/organisation".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Looks good, would be nice for Cork to have a top class stadium and hopefully 2 top class teams filling it.

thefloss wrote: »
    To be honest the concept of a Centre of Excellence to help Cork get back winning All Irelands is a worthy cause in my opinion.

A centre of excellence for a county the size of Cork needs to be more than one pitch. http://savemarinapark.com/index.php/gaa-centres-of-excellence/

Marina Park daft masterplan with comments added http://savemarinapark.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Marina-Park-markup.jpg

In advance of the Cork City Council meeting City Hall, 6PM Monday 10th November 2012.
    Here are the key points in relation to the Showgrounds / Marina Park.

The Second Pitch:

http://savemarinapark.com/index.php/press-release-marina-park-draft-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Going by the Indo, the residents have reached some agreement with the GAA about the redevelopment.
    A PROPOSED €70m redevelopment of the GAA's Pairc Ui Chaoimh stadium in Cork was dramatically boosted when a residents' group said it has reached an agreement over the project

More....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

opus wrote: »
    Going by the Indo, the residents have reached some agreement with the GAA about the redevelopment.

I think that piece should say that some residents have reached some agreement with the GAA.

The planing objections by another local resident and the Save Marina Park group have not been removed. I don't think Ballintemple Area Residents’ Association had an official objection in.

Advertisement