Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Olympics - a money making racket?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

old_aussie wrote: »
    It's one way for the host country to get lots of sporting and associated infrastructure

What? England is full of sporting venues. English folk like their football, rugby and cricket and they have loads of facilities for that from top-flight premiership stadiums to public pitches for the pub teams. Unlike the Olympics the costs of going seeing your team are reasonable and access is easy.
    which will benefit people for many years to come

What people? How will it benefit them?

It's going to cost them ~$15 billion - do you think they will get a return on their 'investment'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Ah would everyone stop whining please! I'm actually looking forward to it, would love to go, but unfortunately will be too busy studying at the time.

It could do with a bit of trimming though. Far too many events which don't belong there, especially team ones. If an Olympic medal isn't the pinnacle of your chosen sport - then it has no business in the Olympics, tennis and football are two that immediately spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I absolutely can't wait. London will be rocking for those three weeks....there'll be screens up in Hyde Park and other places, with other entertainment going on, for those that don't have tickets. I know people at Skyride, and they are planning loads of kids bike events & clinics to coincide with showing the cycling on big screens. And there is still availability at Paralympic venues.

There are too many glass half empty people around the UK, just looking at the negatives. I think many of those people would find that if they embraced the Olympics, they might actually enjoy it!

It is becoming apparent that the renting out your house thing is an bit of an urban myth, unless you live a stones throw from the stadium, or have a mansion that you can rent to an Middle East sheikh or an oligarch. The Evening Standard has done a good few articles on it. So IMO to leave London during a once in a lifetime event would be daft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Whilst obviously its their decision, it seems a little strange to me to leave a city while the Olympics are on, especially with kids.
    Its a once in a lifetime event.

Sure there'll be disruptions and hassles, but there'll also be a lifetimes of memories which will remain long after the 30 minute queue for the Tube has been forgotten.

There are plenty of free-to-view events (the two marathons, road cycling), plenty of events for which tickets are still available (football for definite, and I donn't think all the sessions of tennis, weighlifting, taekwando and stuff like that are sold out) and even going up to the Olympic Village just to sample the atmosphere would be a worthwhile trip.

For comparison purposes I'm paying an arm and a leg to bring my niece over to London - the though of actually living in London and leaving there for the duration shocks me.

Urge them to reconsider plz.
    why not,not all the olympic competitions are held in london,for inst all british football home games are at old trafford [manchester] .also both the mens and womans semi finals,the child could be a football fan,its not just london that the events are staged,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Biggins wrote: »
    Anyone here going to it? Got tickets?

I'm going to the rowing which is just outside London. Probably won't go into London as it's manic enough on a normal day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

bwatson wrote: »
    The security bill is going to be crazy.

Royal Artillery operating air defence missile systems in SE London (although they are based in the area anyway) the Special Boat Service patrolling the Thames and all leave being cancelled at MI5 and the Met are just a few examples of how seriously its being taken.

I personally don't care much for the Olympics and will be out of the city at the time anyway, but I imagine the atmosphere will be amazing, especially in the centre of town.

It will be terror free one would hope but you never know. No doubt some mad mulla will look upon it as a great chance to do something crazy.

Advertisement