Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good friday and clubs/pubs

Options
  • 02-04-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi there, just wondering does anyone know if clubs open at 12 on good friday? I'm just wondering because my friend is convinced places open at 12 that night, I always thought these were rumours?... One friday without drinking doesn't bother me, he is just convinced places open! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Harolds Cross dogs is open with the bar open aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭knowit12

It's against the law for anywhere to open no matter what time

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Good Advice

Yea I thought as much myself...but apparently some places do I don't know though just rumours going around!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Im sure there will be lots of clubs opening at midnight.
    Dont know of any off the top of my head but there always used to be a few open definately not rumours sure once it hits midnight its saturday.

As I said Harolds Cross is open at half 6 and bar open untill 11 or half 11 I think.
    I saw it in the paper last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

knowit12 wrote: »
    It's against the law for anywhere to open no matter what time

They can open at midnight if they want. Most don't bother, though.

• Advertisement

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Im sure there will be lots of clubs opening at midnight.
    Dont know of any off the top of my head but there always used to be a few open definately not rumours sure once it hits midnight its saturday.

As I said Harolds Cross is open at half 6 and bar open untill 11 or half 11 I think.
    I saw it in the paper last week.
    Cool thanks! Not even sure if I am heading out but love the dogs I've only been to shelbourne though!
    Sooo he is right its not a rumour, damn! I heard nowhere opened last year in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

In before the 'can ye not stay off the beer for one night of the year' brigade.

Bag of cans ftw. :cool:

cson wrote: »
    In before the 'can ye not stay off the beer for one night of the year' brigade.

Bag of cans ftw. :cool:

Hahahahaha that's why I put in my op that it doesn't bother me about one friday night!! But it actually doesn't ill go out saturday :P but I really thought nowhere opened and heard that last year there was a big hype about places opening at 12, and nowhere did in the end!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

sugarman wrote: »
    Nearly every main pub/club in Town opens at midnight. Atleast they used to.

Have a look on their facebook pages.

Im sure Coppers, Palace, D2 etc.. will more than likely.

Pointless tho for 2.5hrs.

Most pay in clubs will have their highest door turnover between 12:30-1:30.. so They'll make great money for only having to have staff in for 3/4 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

That they open at midnight is a myth, in my experience anyway. I've never found anywhere that does, can anyone name a place?

• Advertisement

nm wrote: »
    That they open at midnight is a myth, in my experience anyway. I've never found anywhere that does, can anyone name a place?

Yeah I thought it was a myth myself! I was actually talking to friends today and they said they went in last year and nowhere was open!

I just did 2 posts over yours, Coppers, D2, Diceys, Palace etc.. Usually do.

Why would it be a myth? Its one of their busiest nights of the year, having to open for 2/3hrs, charging anywhere from €5-10 euro in.

Last years threads completely disagree with you, this post specifically states two of your examples as being closed all night.

One of the busiest nights of the year? I think not, town will be deserted so it would be very risky for a venue to bother opening, maybe Coppers but I'm still going to go with myth until I get a first hand account.

Maybe not anymore so, found this article. Licences revoked in recent years for opening after midnight.

Facepalm stuff.. what a country :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

Every year the same question pops up, but in my experience, I've haven't seen a pub or club open at midnight in Dublin in around five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

I wonder if the bar in the airport will be open on "good" Friday. I also heard rumours that train-station bars are open throughout the day, but can't be 100% sure of that.

Bag of cans to be bought on Thursday FTW ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

I know linking to ones own site is a bit of a no no, but I made a list of 9 ways to get served drinks on good friday. Some more viable than others.

http://publin.ie/2012/on-the-matter-of-good-friday/

I'm going to call around a few clubs and late bars to see who is opening. I know that the Turk's Head is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Coppers facebook posted this a few hours ago:

"COPPER FACE JACKS OFFICAL PAGE
    3 hours ago via Facebook for Android
    Just to confirm,we are CLOSED tonight and tomorrow"

I have distinct memories of everywhere opening at midnight in town a few years ago but if Coppers isnt open tomorrow night its not looking good. Does anyone know of anywhere that will be definitely open?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

its ridiculous that there is nothing open today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And embarrassing watching confused, hungry and thirsty tourists wondering why they're closed and double-checking doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

naughtb4 wrote: »
    its ridiculous that there is nothing open today

Greyhounds! RTE just announced that Harolds Cross Dog track is open tonight for the first time ever and they are one of the few venues that can serve on Good Friday.

• Advertisement

The Turks Head actually is open aswell, confirmed on their facebook http://www.facebook.com/TURKSHEADDUBLIN

Advertisement