Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

This really is terrible! that shop was great for getting the small things and some big things, alot of my computer is made up of stuff from them!

They will be missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

F***! I meant to go there recently to get compressed air since someone said it was a bit cheaper! Not my favourite place certainly, but less competition and options is always bad.

How did they employ 75 people though?
    Only half read the article and didn't realise there were so many branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was only talking to a friend of mine about peats an hour or two ago, had no idea this had happened. He was on about how they used to help him build electronics kits when he was a school kid, way back in their early days.

Really overpriced on a lot of stock but, looking around me, I've picked up a lot of good gear from them over the years. Awful for the staff too, gotta feel for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They were so overpriced so there's no way they could really be viable for parts, and with TVs and larger stuff you'd always go to the likes of DID or Harvey Norman.

Meh. **** one for the employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Bad for the employees indeed but it was coming a long time. Still, have great memories of them in the 80's in Parnell St. Got so much stuff there back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Recently bought a tv there and they were surprisingly enough the cheapest out of about 7 or 8 places i checked out.Another thing is i always found the staff superb,very knowledgable.Sad to see this great shop go while the crappy harvey normans somehow survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I can honestly say I haven't bought anything in Peats, ever. I think the last time I was in there was about ten years ago or something. Still, not a nice thing for people to lose jobs, or for the Irish tech community to lose one of very few brick and mortar tech shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I bought a few things from them over the years, they were handy for emergencies. I could have got the components elsewhere and saved some money but the staff in Peats seemed to know a lot more than most other stores and most importantly they seemed interested even if they didnt know all the little details that I had been googling for beforehand. I hope those skills dont go to waste now, good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Peats owned it's original store and the large car park behind it and
    sold it for a small fortune during the boom.

I have zero zero sympathy for him and the other Peats since they have
    refused to change over the last 12 years to adapt to the changing
    market.

They paid their staff minimum wage and threatened to fire anybody they
    even thought of join a union.

In saying that I do feel bad for the staff but they know this was on
    the horizon for the last 2 years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

RIP

I used to go there during the 90s when they were more an electronics components plus home theatre demonstration type store. More recently, it became a place to check prices before buying online though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

While Peats were overpriced for a lot of their stuff: I did find they had gotten a bit better on some prices.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 in there just after release and got it for the same price as Komplett.ie. Think I got it for €469 which was the price most online outlets were selling it for at the time (well the ones that were in stock at the time....) In adn out in 10 mins and picked up the very last one in store right before the poor sod right behind me in the queue for the till was looking for one :-)

I did also notice that their prices for newly released gfx cards were usually fairly close to online prices also (€20-€30 in the difference on newly released high end gfx cards which isn't bad at all for bricks and mortar....). The problem was over time they never seemed to drop the price on parts in general. So what would have been a good price 6 months to a year in the past would have been a rip off.

Very last item I bought in there as 4 gig of generic DDR 3, online price was €30 I paid €40 in store as I needed it there and then.

I never had a problem paying a little over the odds for getting a part there and then in bricks and mortar.

Maplins are dire in general, PC World isn't amazing either. Having Peats was handy for the odd part. Yeah some of their prices were terrible but credit where credit is due: some of their prices on some parts were pretty good ( I remember the PC component prices being much worse when I first went in there as a student late 90s) and I never found their staff to be too pushy to deal with.

Tis a shame for all the staff loosing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vadge

I really hope someone can help or point me in the right direction here...

I purchased a Creative Zen from Peats Rathmines a few months ago. This week, it ceased to dock nor charge with any PC/Laptop. I contacted Creative with regards to repair/replace, and they require proof of purchase, which I no longer have, and am now unable to obtain a copy of because of their closure. I am really fighting with Creative over this as their customer support seems adamant on sending template replies with regards to POP, even though I registered the product with them online when I bought it. Can a copy of this receipt now be obtained at all? Its very frustrating, I've only had the player 5 months and its still within warranty. Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Vadge,have you got a credit card receipt maybe?You will need proof of purchase of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Its a real shame Peats has had to close as it was a great place for picking up small bits and bob's in an emergency and the staff always knew there stuff. Saying that I did get some awesome bargins out of there.

It does seem kinda crazy tho the amount of shops they had so close togeather and weird they waited till every shop had to close rather than close the majority but keep the main store running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Vadge wrote: »
    I really hope someone can help or point me in the right direction here...

I purchased a Creative Zen from Peats Rathmines a few months ago. This week, it ceased to dock nor charge with any PC/Laptop. I contacted Creative with regards to repair/replace, and they require proof of purchase, which I no longer have, and am now unable to obtain a copy of because of their closure. I am really fighting with Creative over this as their customer support seems adamant on sending template replies with regards to POP, even though I registered the product with them online when I bought it. Can a copy of this receipt now be obtained at all? Its very frustrating, I've only had the player 5 months and its still within warranty. Any help appreciated

The website says they have a telephone line and email address for any queries, maybe this might be of use?
    All stores have now been closed and telephone calls will automatically be directed to a call centre to accommodate any enquiries arising, so that they can be logged and dealt with as efficiently and as soon as possible.

In making enquiries customers are invited to call 01-9023718 or to Email: admin@peats.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

uberpixie wrote: »
    While Peats were overpriced for a lot of their stuff: I did find they had gotten a bit better on some prices.

I did also notice that their prices for newly released gfx cards were usually fairly close to online prices also (€20-€30 in the difference on newly released high end gfx cards which isn't bad at all for bricks and mortar....). The problem was over time they never seemed to drop the price on parts in general. So what would have been a good price 6 months to a year in the past would have been a rip off.

Very last item I bought in there as 4 gig of generic DDR 3, online price was €30 I paid €40 in store as I needed it there and then.

I never had a problem paying a little over the odds for getting a part there and then in bricks and mortar.

Yeah some of their prices were terrible but credit where credit is due: some of their prices on some parts were pretty good ( I remember the PC component prices being much worse when I first went in there as a student late 90s) and I never found their staff to be too pushy to deal with.

Thank you thank you. I was the poor sod who bought in all the (draws breath): motherboard, CPU, RAM, cases, GPU, PSU, monitors, cables, internal HDD, flash memory, heatsinks, mods, peripherals and other general components. Pretty much if it was computer related I bought them in (other than external HDD, printers & scanners). When I first started prices were pretty dire so I aimed to be as competitive as possible.

I'd like to think that overall I did a good job. Yes we could have been even more competitive but unfortunately when you work for a family business you tend to be tasked with multiple objectives so purchasing wasn't the only role. Had I more time and didn't have to focus on other things our prices would have been even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

With all your connections in the business maybe it's time to setup a boards.ie PC hardware shop :P

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    With all your connections in the business maybe it's time to setup a boards.ie PC hardware shop :P

Sure that's a great idea...... will you be financing it?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Sure that's a great idea...... will you be financing it?! :pac:
    Would €50 be enough ??

Very sorry for you and your co-workers, and it's a real pity there is no hardware shops left in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Would €50 be enough ??

Very sorry for you and your co-workers, and it's a real pity there is no hardware shops left in Ireland.

That is a shame. Along with the purchasing I looked after updating the website, Facebook, eBay, taking calls/emails from colleagues looking for special order items and covering in other shops.

If I didn't have all those other things to do our prices would have been even better. While it's relatively straight forward ordering items in, the big challenge is staying on top of them once they are in stock. Making sure they sell and that they remain competitively priced. Unfortunately it was rather hard to get the time to really devote to that.

Believe it or not while we didn't have the bulk purchasing power of the bigger chains we were getting competitive pricing as you have to purchase smarter when you're a 'small fry'. That + more time would have meant consistently competitive pricing. :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ben101 wrote: »
    Recently bought a tv there and they were surprisingly enough the cheapest out of about 7 or 8 places i checked out.Another thing is i always found the staff superb,very knowledgable.Sad to see this great shop go while the crappy harvey normans somehow survives.

I would agree that their prices were never the best but their staff in my experience where sound and knowledgeable. I was actually planning on getting my new laptop off them in the next month or two. (E750 there or $850 in the USA, wanted to spend my money at home)
    I was in PC World about 3 weeks ago and the staff didn't seem to have the same level of PC knowledge.

I do agree that their website was subpar. I only spotted my preferred laptop by picking up a leaflet instore 2 weeks ago, No mention of that model on the website.

Sad to see another 75 Irish based jobs go. At least (Unlike Game) the employer has publically stated they will honour redundancy entitlements to staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

i have used pc world for some stuff in the past and wouldnt again unless desperate. i have to travel 20+ miles to their store and when you try to phone them they wont even answer, even their own crowd who answer the main switchboard cant contact them ive been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

pcadvice wrote: »
    i have used pc world for some stuff in the past and wouldnt again unless desperate. i have to travel 20+ miles to their store and when you try to phone them they wont even answer, even their own crowd who answer the main switchboard cant contact them ive been told.
    This is true. I tried for days to contact a store around xmas to save me the run over, it just kept ringing out, (I missed their call so had the store number) customer service guy tried to ring them with me listening, no answer, so when I eventually traveled over I said I'd ring from in the store for the crack, it was the main phone at the tills that was ringing with 2 staff members chatting away beside it:mad:.

Awful company. Read some of the threads over on their Forum, you wouldn't want to have trouble with a TV bought from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭seamusmacc

apparently 2 of them are reopen (Rathmines and Parnell Street).

http://www.peats.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

seamusmacc wrote: »
    apparently 2 of them are reopen (Rathmines and Parnell Street).

http://www.peats.com/
    Just heard it on the news, great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

So will the re-opening sale next Saturday be worth a look? Think I might wander in for a look about, war office permitting:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

glynf wrote: »
    So will the re-opening sale next Saturday be worth a look? Think I might wander in for a look about, war office permitting:)

Hope instore was worth it. I checked their website and the prices are the same as 8 weeks ago. I saw a Toshiba P750 for E1099 instore then, out of my budget but I still wanted it.
    Today on the website it is still E1099
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=29215&type=product

EDIT: Completely understandable, I was hoping this was the case. The update a few days ago made me think the website would be upgraded.
    I would prefer to pay an Irish company E800 than drop $900+ in the USA on my next business trip.

Tenger wrote: »
    Hope instore was worth it. I checked their website and the prices are the same as 8 weeks ago. I saw a Toshiba P750 for E1099 instore then, out of my budget but I still wanted it.
    Today on the website it is still E1099
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=29215&type=product

The website had been 'shut' for the past 3 weeks and essentially hasn't been updated. I realize that's not how it should be but all effort was concentrated on getting Parnell Street up and running.

When we left the place it was just a shell, there was no stock and all wiring had been ripped out, so to get it up and running in 4 days was a monumental task.

The website will be updated in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Never made it in to town.:( Anyway, glad to see Parnell St. open again & good luck for the future.

Advertisement