Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEMPORARY ELECTRIC FENCING SMALL AREA?

• 02-04-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭

Hi folks....have never used electric fencing..have an area beside house that I will be reseeding as a lawn in August.How much would it cost to buy electric wire for around 100 yards x by 2 strands (for sheep)...and to run it off mains electricity..... is it a transformer I would need?.....if it costy more than 100 euro all together prob wudnt be financially worth doing...As its only till August...great grass on it at mo which would be useful for lambs.I have around 10 of the plastic stakes already.
    Any tips appreciated.The missus wudnt fancy a temporary sheep wire fence:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

You would need an electric Fencer which would cost you around €150 for a portable one and more expensive for a mains. You would need about 4/5 strands to keep sheep in. One roll of wire abound €60 would more than cover this.

You would be cheaper to get a roll of sheep wire. Around €119 for 100 yards of very strong high tensile wire.
    Hope this is off some use for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hi folks....have never used electric fencing..have an area beside house that I will be reseeding as a lawn in August.How much would it cost to buy electric wire for around 100 yards x by 2 strands (for sheep)...and to run it off mains electricity..... is it a transformer I would need?.....if it costy more than 100 euro all together prob wudnt be financially worth doing...As its only till August...great grass on it at mo which would be useful for lambs.I have around 10 of the plastic stakes already.
    Any tips appreciated.The missus wudnt fancy a temporary sheep wire fence:)

Any chance you could borrow a battery fence off someone? Drive an extra earth bar. You'I prob get away with the stakes you have... just!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks...may well still go with the electric...not as unsightly beside house as Sheep fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If you thought you would use it again is the portable one a better option?....is it ran off a battery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

If you thought you would use it again is the portable one a better option?....is it ran off a battery?

The mains is a better and stronger current. Battery is fine for stock that are trained or used to an electric fence. Battery one should be fine for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭ceannfort

take a search on ebay for a fencer unit. and when you're finished you could try and resell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Jaysus lads all this talk about mains vs battery fencers. We have a couple of both at present and more over the years, and a decent battery fencer working well will stop many an animal. Indeed there is one about somewhere that was mule slow but would nearly knock you down with the bang off it.

Advertisement