Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecofil, Romex or similar patio joint filler/pointing?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where to get Ecofil (http://ecofil.co.uk/) or some similar brush on patio joint filler?
    A few holes have developed in the joints that need refilling.

Something like Romex shown here: http://www.pavingexpert.com/jointing12.htm

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Using any proprietary jointing compounds to repair minor defects in joints will prove expensive. Would you not consider a sand cement mix to do necessary repair. If you're nervous about potentially staining the surface with wet cement mix, you can mix sand + cement dry, compress into joint and lightly water and allow to set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Was considering that alright but as the rest of it is filled with buff coloured brush in stuff, I thought the bits filled with concrete would look very out of place. It is a fairly large area but most of it is perfect...just bits here and there where the grouting has gone. Would also be nice to brush some new grouting over the stuff that is fine but gone a bit dirty.
    Would prefer to pay for the same stuff rather than concrete if I can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 the paving king

just made sure it is well power washed and all the loose material is removed.
    i have used joint it in the last few jobs and found it fantastic and reasonably priced
    www.jointit.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mike1971

i agree . i got paving a few months ago and used joint it and it done the job brilliantly! would definetely recommend it. i have powerwashed my patio since and not a spec of grout came out of the joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

just made sure it is well power washed and all the loose material is removed.
    i have used joint it in the last few jobs and found it fantastic and reasonably priced
    www.jointit.ie

How much would that stuff cost to cover 100 sq meters ?

Cobblelock so the joints would be tight enough.

• Advertisement

if the joints are tight, the only material that will go in to them is fine kiln dried sand. joint it will need a joint 3mm wide to flow in

if the joints are tight, the only material that will go in to them is fine kiln dried sand. joint it will need a joint 3mm wide to flow in

Cheers for the reply.

Yeah, thats what im using at the minute, the kiln dried sand, still get weeds though.

Would a patio sealer be any good to keep them down and also give the stone that "just been rained on" look ?

a paving sealer wont stop the weeds and a really good sealer is very expensive as you will on get coverage off approx 2 sq metres per litre on concrete brick paving and cost approx 40 euro per litre

a paving sealer wont stop the weeds and a really good sealer is very expensive as you will on get coverage off approx 2 sq metres per litre on concrete brick paving and cost approx 40 euro per litre

To put this into perspective, @ € 40.00 for 2 sq m this is > cost of most natural paving:eek: A ridiculous and penal cost for anyone not capable of or willing to use traditional mortar jointing methods (which also provide a weed free barrier).

i am saying it is not a good idea to seal concrete paving brick if you are trying to stop weeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 morg

Sonnenblumen is correct,sand and cement is the only thing that lasts. I've used most brush in joint fillers over the years and they all deteriorate over time. All looked well when paving was installed then its downhill from there. It's proven to be such a headache fixing it that I don't bother with them anymore. Just clean as you go with a wet sponge and you'll get a nice finish.

not exactly true. the resin joint filler for paving that you mix on site is very good. the pre mixed ones do break down as they are not that strong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i was going to go with jointit but after reading this i think i'll just go with sand and cement. i'll just be careful as i go. would you recomend a dry mix and brush it in as i got or a wet mix and clean as i go?

the only issue with sand and cement is that it is not frost resistant. when it freezes it shrinks slightly and allows water in the sides and when it freezes it expands and that is why you will see sand and cement cracking out off the joints off paving slabs or sandstone

the only issue with sand and cement is that it is not frost resistant. when it freezes it shrinks slightly and allows water in the sides and when it freezes it expands and that is why you will see sand and cement cracking out off the joints off paving slabs or sandstone

Why are you scaremongering with this nonsense? The cause of sand and cement pointing cracking is simply poor workmanship (poor mix and/or poor pointing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mike1971

also, i had paving before which i layed down 7 years ago and pointed the joints to the highest standard as possible with sand and cement. with the harsh winters we got it cracked out the joints slowly but surely every year. i have since relayed a new patio as i mentioned above. after huge research i have jointed the joints with joint it . thanks paving king we all had to learn the hard way. and the hard way is the best way ... i now have a nice patio!

mike1971 wrote: »
    also, i had paving before which i layed down 7 years ago and pointed the joints to the highest standard as possible with sand and cement. with the harsh winters we got it cracked out the joints slowly but surely every year. i have since relayed a new patio as i mentioned above. after huge research i have jointed the joints with joint it . thanks paving king we all had to learn the hard way. and the hard way is the best way ... i now have a nice patio!

What size area mike and what did it cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adivol

While washing one thing should be kept in mind lose material should be removed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Does anyone know how much joint it will costs for an area of 22 square meteres?

Advertisement