Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and Summer Work

Options
  • 02-04-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi Hope this is in the right place. I really need clarity on this so please if someone can help me urgently I would be so so grateful. I am currently a mature student on BTEA and have been offered 6 weeks full time paid work in a council in July. My question is if I accept the job will this disqualify me from BTEA come September? I just want a simple answer for someone who actually know getting so many different answers and I am starting to panic :eek:!

So again can I work during the summer then sign back on to BTEA come September? Thank you so much to anyone out there who can or does help me :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

I'd love to know this too. same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carja

Hi Hope this is in the right place. I really need clarity on this so please if someone can help me urgently I would be so so grateful. I am currently a mature student on BTEA and have been offered 6 weeks full time paid work in a council in July. My question is if I accept the job will this disqualify me from BTEA come September? I just want a simple answer for someone who actually know getting so many different answers and I am starting to panic :eek:!

So again can I work during the summer then sign back on to BTEA come September? Thank you so much to anyone out there who can or does help me :D

No problem to workfor summer Moon Indigo. When you finish semeseter just call into your local social welfare office, they will give you a form to fill out to state that you will be returning to complete your course in September and you will be returning to BTEA payment, if you in any doubt just call the BTEA office, it is in Carrick on Shannon. Hope this answers your question.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Thank you so much. Its such a simple question that I should know the answer to but there is so much confusion around it. Thanks again that's a major relief! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

Hi all,I am wondering if anybody could help with my query.

I am currently on VTOS and doing the leaving cert as a mature student.i was on job seekers for 6 months previous to vtos so therefore i have been on benefits for about 13 months up to now.

I have read that when changing from a second level course (vtos scheme)to 3rd level (btea scheme) that you have to requalify for the allowance.now so far no problem.but i intend on getting a part time job this summer. 3 days a week or less.I am wondering if this will go against my btea application in september as i am hoping to go to uni. then.

so to sum it up ,i have been on benefits for up to 13 months so if i get a part time job now will it effect my btea application next september

Thanks so much for any help;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

auskid wrote: »
    Hi all,I am wondering if anybody could help with my query.

I am currently on VTOS and doing the leaving cert as a mature student.i was on job seekers for 6 months previous to vtos so therefore i have been on benefits for about 13 months up to now.

I have read that when changing from a second level course (vtos scheme)to 3rd level (btea scheme) that you have to requalify for the allowance.now so far no problem.but i intend on getting a part time job this summer. 3 days a week or less.I am wondering if this will go against my btea application in september as i am hoping to go to uni. then.

so to sum it up ,i have been on benefits for up to 13 months so if i get a part time job now will it effect my btea application next september

Thanks so much for any help;)

Your time on VTOS can count towards your qualifying period for BTEA. As long as you maintain an entitlement to some Social Welfare payment for the summer you can apply for BTEA in Sept. So don't come off your DSP payment completely during the summer.

Full details of BTEA here: http://http://www.welfare.ie/en/publications/sw70/pages/abacktoeducationallowancebtea.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 bunnies

Now maybe you guys can help me - I'm on btea at the minute but I don't think we receive this over the summer months? Should I be re-applying now to switch back onto Jobseekers Allowance (my credits/stamps had ran out so was only on partial payment) or does this switch automatically at end of May/June? Also - will be giving birth same week college ends - so with new baby I won't be actually 'jobseeking' over summer so should I be applying now for a diff social payment?!

bunnies wrote: »
    Now maybe you guys can help me - I'm on btea at the minute but I don't think we receive this over the summer months? Should I be re-applying now to switch back onto Jobseekers Allowance (my credits/stamps had ran out so was only on partial payment) or does this switch automatically at end of May/June? Also - will be giving birth same week college ends - so with new baby I won't be actually 'jobseeking' over summer so should I be applying now for a diff social payment?!

I think it would still be Jobseekers unless you are on your own in which case it would be One Parent Family Payment.

BTEA will stop on the date you gave DSP on your application form so you should reapply for Jobseekers by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bunnies

Thanks paperclip. good to know re date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Sorry for bumping this up but the thread is similar to the question I want to ask.

I did my last exam week ago (which I informed them in that letter you must fill out) and decided I would have a couple of weeks holidays before I start a job for the summer. I am now told that apparently that you are meant to sign on between now and then, I was just looking for opinions on this because first I didn't think you had to sign (as the website says those who are unable to find work during the summer months may (not had to) apply for jobseekers payments) and secondly when you have a job organised then why would you be signing for jobseekers. I dont know, I just want to hear other peoples opinions and experience with it.

Hi Sintel

Are you progressing into the next year of a course or starting a new one in Sept?

Sometimes local office staff aren't fully up to speed on BTEA payments so you could check with the main BTEA section in Carrick on Shannon:
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Co. Leitrim.
    Tel: 071 96 72698

Taken from the DSP website re BTEA:
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Documents/SW70.pdf
    If you are going on to the next year of your course
    or moving to a higher qualification, you will get
    your BTEA again from the start of the new
    academic year regardless of whether you got an
    unemployment payment for the summer.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Yes I am returning in September. I think Ill end up just going into them, I was hoping I could avoid all this for the sake of a couple of weeks. I always understood BTEA as being a separate entity to the whole jobseekers scheme and that once you qualify that you don't have to account for your days off during the summer i.e. be officially looking for work / sign on. (similar to what you just posted in that paragraph).

Well it seems that you must sign back on, which baffles me. Big list of questions I must answer and some don't even make sense, also paper work I must chase down all for the sake of a couple of weeks. I've found a job, what more do you want?
    Sorry for the rant, but really wish the system was adapted to suit people who are on BTEA as they are under a different scenario than normal job seekers as we are only available for work for 3 months. Also, I have to wonder what if a person decided to go travelling for the summer, can you do this? or must you account for this too?

Advertisement