Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats closed down :(

Options
  • 02-04-2012 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

THE LONG-RUNNING electronics store Peats World of Electronics is to seek a liquidator, it has emerged tonight.

Staff were told that due to financial constraints, its 11 stores around Dublin have been closed with immediate effect.

Source

Sad to see it go. I believe a few boardsies work there. Hopefully they get looked after

Comments

Just heard that. That's sad :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Shit happens. My dog tore one of my socks earlier. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

This truly sucks. Damn PC world etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I used to live across the road from the one on Parnell Street. Very sad to see another victim of this damn recession :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

High rental rates strike again. When will landlords learn that reduced rental income is better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Going from a turnover of €24 million to administration in the space of 5 years is pretty shocking business in fairness.

Sorry for the staff, hopefully they can get their redundancy sorted and won't have to go through what the staff of GAME, Vita Cortex and La Senza had to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

More a victim to online sales I would imagine, sadly I can see other smallish outlets going, I notice gamesworld has closed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Used to buy my amiga games there as a kid, had great games section many moons ago. Haven't bought anything in the store in years, way too expensive for last seasons hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

High rental rates strike again. When will landlords learn that reduced rental income is better than nothing.

.....going on the evidence, no time soon. Why though, I've no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Vote yes for jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

44leto wrote: »
    More a victim to online sales I would imagine, sadly I can see other smallish outlets going, I notice gamesworld has closed as well.

Gamesworld became GameStop. Got bought out

It was quality stuff and the staff were great and always knowledgeable but in reality you could get cheaper stuff elsewhere.

Gamesworld became GameStop. Got bought out

There was some sort of industrial action going on at their branch in Liffey valley yesterday, something about redundancy payments. So I assumed the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

ihsb wrote: »
    This truly sucks. Damn PC world etc.

PC World < Peats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There was some sort of industrial action going on at their branch in Liffey valley yesterday, something about redundancy payments. So I assumed the worse.

Probably GAME I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Maybe Game???

They went into Administration, no administrator was sorted out for the Irish side so all the staff got the chop with no redundancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

KilOit wrote: »
    Used to buy my amiga games there as a kid, had great games section many moons ago. Haven't bought anything in the store in years, way too expensive for last seasons hardware.
    Soo, it's your fault then. You Baxter.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I always found them to be stupidly overpriced.

Sad for the people losing their jobs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ive honestly never heard of these. Are they just based in Dublin or something :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Was always a great shop for components, baught a good bit of stuff there I needed quickly, staff were always knowledgeable too, unlike some of the others. I think with online retailers like elara, scan, komplett, dabs etc the B&Ms can't compete with price, its a pity to see peats go :( .

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Was only in their Parnell St Branch on Saturday looking at their Satellite TV top boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wow,I bought my first NES there in the early 1990s when they had a game section,know a couple guys who work there too,very sad and scary. Is no one safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Rental rate is used to calculate building values. Reduce the rent, reduce the value of the building.

If the building is vacant, but they are still asking for the full rent, then they don't have to reduce the value of the building.

Building values are important to lots of building owners, pension funds being a prime example. It's completely ridiculous, but there you go, free markets at work.

It's a pity that people lose jobs over this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Prices were way too expensive. They wouldn't have the buying power of other retailers like Harvey Normans or Currys. Always thought that their stock wasn't as up to date. I will say that their sales guys were nice and friendly to talk to. Sad to see such an iconic business go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I liked peats but suppose so many people shopping for electronics online now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

How do you know they'll get nothing? Also it all depends on how much Peats actually wanted the rent to be dropped by. If the landlord felt it was to low and knew he'd easily find another tenant then can't argue with him refusing Peats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Another casualty of the shortsighted recent VAT hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That's very sad. I remember being in there with my Mam buying our first hi-fi back in the early 80s. IIFC, all the stuff was behind the counter, you couldn't touch it like you do now. I was pretty small though, may have imagined that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I bought a laptop off them there last week for €1100. It was the nearly the cheapest I could find online for this specific model.

I wonder will they be back in some other form or other. Maybe with just one shop in the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

My first ever game console was from the one on Parnell street in 1987....Atari 600 xl. Always remember the joy as I was 12 at the time. Sad to see it go.

Advertisement