Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats closed down :(

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Lelantos wrote: »
    Anyone who has ever worked for an av or pc store worth its salt will tell you that 80% of its custom come in for advice on a purchase. Mainly because they have no real idea of the product they're purchasing. The customer who knows his onions & just wants to haggle over the eventual price are a pleasure to meet, but they're few & far between.

Hence the inverse proportionality between educated customers, and those using b+m stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Thanks Enda Kenny!! Another Truly Great Irish company just gone after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Yeah, there's not enough people left that will pay that premium price for sales assistant knowledge.

Spot on,These guys knew their stuff from all the years I bought from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Enda Kenny!! Another Truly Great Irish company just gone after all these years.

Thanks Enda Kenny, it's cold today!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Shame to see a family business go down the swanny.

Honestly though, I was more likely to buy online for pc gear, any time I went to Peats was becaus eI needed something in a hurry. Though I would always make Peats my first port of call in that situation.

I'v enever had grea tluck with the staff though, 2 out of 3 times I'd go there, I'd be dealing with someone with just the wrong combination of arrogance and ignorance. It's not possible to know everything about pc's that's fair enough. Too often though, the attitude is "I know everything, if I don't know it, it doesn't exist". Fcuk that.

Although to be fair, I never saw anyone in there pushing €70 hdmi cables on naive customers like the dirty hooers in Harvey Norman do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Incompetent and complacent management who failed and refused to move with the times. Plenty of retail outlets can make a profit in this sector, but Peats plunged. Sad.

Someone said about online. I don't believe this is a major problem for well managed businesses. Most people are prepared to pay a small premium for the ability to get follow up service. The question is how much and how good is the service. This is where Peats failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Did they have a closing down sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

no closing down sale. sending stock back to suppliers to try cover outstanding debts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Their prices were often crappy and they wouldn't have the component I wanted in stock half the time, but it's still sad to see them close.
    Lots of memories there. I got the mouse I'm using now in Peats (true story).
    Amalgam wrote: »
    I loved climbing the stairs to ogle the new weekly PC parts arrivals.. It was a bit musty and overcrowded, with jumbles of stock, but that's how I liked it.
    Same here. The old musty store felt more laid back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You can either accept the upward only review or you close down wherever the affected shop might be. That isn't as easy a step to take as you might think. It can have a knock on effect in that the image of your company is affected on all sorts of levels. People, suppliers, customers etc lose faith in what your brand stands for if they see a unit close. They might have no idea why you shut something down.

Sure a lack of customers is a major reason in our demise but it wasn't the reason. There was no one factor that sealed the fate of the company. Several of the shops were holding their own and believe it or not the website was proving to be quite fruitful along with eBay.

Had the rents been addressed the company would have survived and we would have seen the recession out. I'm afraid upward only rent views were the biggest factor in our demise and I would hope that this issue which was promised to be tackled by the current government only for them to rescind on their promise is looked at before it claims other small Irish businesses.

But who signed up to the upward only rent? It was the tenant. There are two parties to a contract and either one can walk away from it before it is signed. The landlords realised that the rental market wouldn't stay inflated forever and were right to try to protect themselves. The small businesses should also have seen the warning signs and refused to allow the clause to be included.

Yes, I agree that upward only rents have a negative impact on the tenant. However it is the duty of the tenant/management to mitigate such impacts. The case of peats is clear cut. They over expanded during a time of a credit bubble and worse they locked in high rents with upward only reviews. It was the managements duty to see this could be a problem and they failed. Greed and the desire for large short term profits blinded them and destroyed the sustainability of the business.

The government cannot rewrite existing contracts. It was never an option as the AG ruled it out during the last government. It was a stupid piece of electioneering on behalf of the government. They didn't need to promise it because they were going to win anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Enda the scapegoat.:rolleyes:

It wasn't Enda that sank Peats, it was the management of the business. Believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

Sorry to see them go. I bought lots of stuff there over the years and was always happy with the staff, who, in my experience anyway, always knew their stuff. I must admit I was surprised when they moved to that new premises and obviously expensive place across the road from their original shop - thought that was a step in the wrong direction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If there is an issue with the TV that I recently bought from Peats, who do I turn to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

If it happens during the wind down period, afaik there's a number to ring. After that, I'd think all you have is the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

In making enquiries customers are invited to call 01-9023718 or to Email: admin@peats.com

Taken from http://www.peats.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Supposedly back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ED E wrote: »
    Supposedly back.

New message on website!

http://www.peats.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Today fm news saying they are opening back up a number of shops. Supposedly the Rathmines shop was back open today. I didn't notice but will have a look on my way home.

Edit: Just read the link above too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Was just about to post here, beaten to it :)
    Good to hear they'll be back with a (hopefully) more sustainable set of overheads as a "leaner business" (to quote from their site).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Great news. i hope it works out for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,594 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I was sorry to see them go, because even though I didn't buy much from them, their presence was handy enough. It's always a shame to see these independent retailers go down the tubes. A leaner, fitter Peats might work on making their prices more attractive and then I'd buy more from them.
    I'd hold up Elara as an example - I see no reason why Peats couldn't have an online presence and prices close to them - they could still have a store or several, for that personal touch.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

hopefully they'll implement 21st century business practices and prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mike65 wrote: »
    hopefully they'll implement 21st century business practices and prices.
    In order to that the would have to develop a Komplett.ie approach concentrating on JIT postal services and move away from the high St where rents are crippling. They will never match online shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Rathmines store was open yesterday but had very little stock (just seemed to be a few TVs).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Big re-opening sale in Parnell St. from tomorrow.
    I won't be able to make it in till Wednesday at the earliest, had planned a buying my new laptop from them until they closed. Hopefully I can get my target model with a big of a discount. Would prefer they got my cash than to buy abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CiaranIRL

The last time I bought anything in PEATS was January 1981 - over thirty years ago. I bought one of the first Sony (Betamax!!) Portable Video Camera and Recorder. It cost me over IR£2,000 at the time and you'd need a camel to carry it all!
    At the time, I would always open up a major purchase like this and place a small adhesive label with my name and address inside. It might help recovery in the case of theft.
    Anyways, the camera wouldn't record in colour so I returned it to Peats and eventually got a replacement.
    A few weeks later, I had a knock on the door from the local Chipper owner asking me did I ever own a Sony Portable Video Recorder and if I did whether I had a problem with it? Yep, you've guessed! Peats had sold him my old video recorder as new!!! It still wasn't recording in colour. He was a techie-type (Ham radio enthusiast etc) and he had opened the machine to see whether he could get it working. It was then that he seen my name and address on the label inside the cover.
    Naturally, neither of us has ever bought anything else in Peats...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

In order to that the would have to develop a Komplett.ie approach concentrating on JIT postal services and move away from the high St where rents are crippling. They will never match online shopping.

No they won't but they don't have to. However they do have to offer prices that are no more than about 7.5% more than online prices. I believe most people will sensibly pay that for the benefit of having a place to bring faulty goods back to and to support a local business and jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Tenger wrote: »
    Big re-opening sale in Parnell St. from tomorrow.
    I won't be able to make it in till Wednesday at the earliest, had planned a buying my new laptop from them until they closed. Hopefully I can get my target model with a big of a discount. Would prefer they got my cash than to buy abroad.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0428/breaking12.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was listening to Mr Peat today on RTE radio, struck me that he is a bit too woolly for this day and age.

• Advertisement
Advertisement