Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats Electronics gone.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

red sean wrote: »

They were never good on value,over priced imo.

Another one bites the dust.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

They were more expensive than online but their staff were excellent and very knowledgable. Sometimes it's worth the extra very quid if the service and advice is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Very sad day in deed, for a very long held / run family business. Was first brought in there as a kid by my father who grew up on the same road in Cabra as the Peat family and knew them all by first name.

Got my first electonics kit there, used to love going to the components department, which was in the basement then moved to the 1st floor. Many a project started by cycling into Parnell street to peats to buy parts. First soldering Iron came from there. I still have and regularly use my first digital Multi Meter which i bought there in 1994, for £35.

Always enjoyed going in there, was the only place to go, long before I even knew Radionics existed or maplin arrived on these shores...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

Staff were the reason I avoided the place (admittedly a couple of bad apples) and eventually took all my custom online with their competitors.

Got called an a**hole when I called the store to check price and availability of a video card before travelling to Dublin to buy it. Thought he was out of range of the receiver, electronics experts :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

They were the best at what they used to do, but made some woeful boom-time business decisions.

Did we really need another chain of high-end consumer electronics retailers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Got my first electonics kit there, used to love going to the components department, which was in the basement then moved to the 1st floor. Many a project started by cycling into Parnell street to peats to buy parts. First soldering Iron came from there. I still have and regularly use my first digital Multi Meter which i bought there in 1994, for £35.

Always enjoyed going in there, was the only place to go, long before I even knew Radionics existed or maplin arrived on these shores...

I remember the components dept downstairs and it moving upstairs alright, i was regularly in there in the late 80`s and early 90`s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Got my first electonics kit there, used to love going to the components department, which was in the basement then moved to the 1st floor. Many a project started by cycling into Parnell street to peats to buy parts..

In hindsight I must of wrecked the guys heads at the trade counter, i guess not much has changed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I used to spend most of my pocket money on electronic stuff in Peats in the late 70s - mid 80s.

They lost me when they moved away from the 'junk bins full of treasure'.

Very sorry to see the business (an Irish business) go under.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Staff were the reason I avoided the place (admittedly a couple of bad apples) and eventually took all my custom online with their competitors.

Got called an a**hole when I called the store to check price and availability of a video card before travelling to Dublin to buy it. Thought he was out of range of the receiver, electronics experts :rolleyes:

And then there was the guys trying to sell me a UK TomTom GPS , claiming live services almost 2 years before the service was available here.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I remember needing a circuit diagram for a 555 timer and I started drawing it down from one of those "A beginners guide to..." reference books they had in stock (I was 15 and my weekly pocket-money was IR£2). One of the staff, Morgan I think was his name, saw me and took the book off me, but not before I had most of the circuit down anyway.
    That was downstairs just after they moved the counter back to create the space for the bargain bins. Ace!

I made up for it - I spotted a guy loading battery packs into a hold-all once and I told Morgan, who promptly kicked him out. ;)

I remember another time needing to get my first ever LED, but I only had 50p. I think the 5mm LED's were 18p, but I wanted a red, green and yellow; but then I spotted the 10mm LED's only in red for 39p... OMG, my brain overloaded.
    Anyhow, long story short... I got the red, green and orange and promptly connected them up to two 1.5v cells and blew them in seconds. Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I remember needing a circuit diagram for a 555 timer and I started drawing it down from one of those "A beginners guide to..." reference books they had in stock (I was 15 and my weekly pocket-money was IR£2).

Hah I have that book here somewhere, it has a pink cover IIRC. Think I got the extra money from home because it was a book! (less likely to blow the place up).

The one circuit I remember making was a 1s on 1s off relay timer for a neighbor who wanted an electric fence to keep undesirables out...car coil, 12V PSU, timer board, 'good buzz' haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sad to see them gone, I went to school very near to the Parnell Street shop. Between there and Tomorrows World it was the place to get games for my spectrum. Every-now and then they ran a sale from a kind of garage bit they had on the ground floor, I picked up a kensington double interface for £3, a great deal at the time.

I haven't bought anything there in years though now. I'd look at their stock in Blanchardstown and my mind would just take over as i looked at their stuff and compared it to better prices, or simply better stuff for the same money i could get elsewhere.
    It's a pity their online shop did not take off, their overhead compared to the online guys must have been huge.
    It's a sad event regardless mainly for the 75 staff members now looking for a job.

Stoner wrote: »
    Sad to see them gone, I went to school very near to the Parnell Street shop. Between there and Tomorrows World it was the place to get games for my spectrum. Every-now and then they ran a sale from a kind of garage bit they had on the ground floor, I picked up a kensington double interface for £3, a great deal at the time.

The spectrum, i still have a 48k one here, have it since 84 i think. It needs a keyboard membrane, which can still be got for them.

Its a sad day rearding peats alright.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The spectrum, i still have a 48k one here, have it since 84 i think. It needs a keyboard membrane, which can still be got for them.

Its a sad day rearding peats alright.

I have some spares if you want em. For the record mine was a 48k+ :D

I have some spares if you want em. For the record mine was a 48k+ :D

Yea i might get one off you. I had the 128k+2 after the 48k. Actually hooked the 48k up to the tv a few months ago. Still working anyway.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yea i might get one off you. I had the 128k+2 after the 48k. Actually hooked the 48k up to the tv a few months ago. Still working anyway.

no problem, i have a whole 48K that I think is fine, no psu or leads though you are welcome to it since you'll actually use it. Send me a PM if and when you want it.

no problem, i have a whole 48K that I think is fine, no psu or leads though you are welcome to it since you'll actually use it. Send me a PM if and when you want it.

Ok il get back to you about that, thanks.

Its amazing how the psu`s disappear, my one is long gone, but any sort of 9v power supply will power them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Peats are opening up 2 of their shops in Dublin very soon again.

Just saw it on TV3 News.

Some good news I suppose.:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They reckon 25 jobs will be saved
    more info here
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0423/peats-to-reopen-two-dublin-stores.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

welcome back Peats. the world of electronics wouldn't really be the same without you.

website says Rathmines already reopened, Parnell St on Saturday. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement