Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planting vegetable seeds

Options
  • 02-04-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

hi,
    I've a new allotment and i've sown peas, beans, scallions, carrots and beetroot so far.

Now, i'm a bit late asking this question but i'll know for again. Should i have planted them in trays first and then transplanted them or just sown them direct.

With the carrots and scallions i just sprinkled the seeds out along the ground while with the idea of thinning them later.

With the others I put down one seed at a time giving plenty of room for the individual veg to grow.

I'm also going to grow parsnips, cauliflower and brussels sprouts, what way should i sow them?

Which is the right approach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

There is not a right way that can generically be applied. Either will work. for root vegetables, typically they are grown from seed,

For Brussels, cauli etc I propogate in trays indoors and move out to tunnel when they have germinated, you could make a cloche or cover them at night with plastic etc and put htem in a sunny spot.Still risk of frost

I will plant into ground when chance of frost has past and they are a few inches tall, gives them some protection against slugs etc

On carrots, sow into ground, I sow thinly, as thinning out later attracts carrot fly, need to protect here, lots of good instructions on line

overall follow the instructions on the packet and you are not too late for any of the items mentioned, plenty of time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

radiat wrote: »
    hi,
    I've a new allotment and i've sown peas, beans, scallions, carrots and beetroot so far.

Now, i'm a bit late asking this question but i'll know for again. Should i have planted them in trays first and then transplanted them or just sown them direct.

With the carrots and scallions i just sprinkled the seeds out along the ground while with the idea of thinning them later.

With the others I put down one seed at a time giving plenty of room for the individual veg to grow.

I'm also going to grow parsnips, cauliflower and brussels sprouts, what way should i sow them?

Which is the right approach?

Here is my try and tested way.

Try to avoid transplanting rooted veg, as they dont handle it well.

Peas and beans are a bit early at the moment with cold weather, i am waiting till this weekend.

For plants like Broccli, cauliflower, plant them at now and hardened them and move them out early may.

PM for any other plants and if i have experience with them i let u know

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Micheal GIY

Just to add to what the others have said, there are advantages to growing some seeds in pots or modules before planing out. Not all seeds will germinate, so if you have been planting seeds out in rows, one at a time, you can end up with gaps. Growing in modules indoors means that you will have full rows when you transplant them. Also, late frosts like we have been having the last few nights can kill off tender seedlings so it would be nivce to have them indoors.

There are loads of great resources for growing, including a few books written specifically for Irish conditions (Vegetables for the Irish Garden by Klaus Laitenberger and the Irish Gardener's Handbook by Michael Brenock). Also check out the various websites offering advice, including giyireland.com and the many great threads here on boards.ie. Finally, see if you have a GIY group in your area, where locals come together to share experience and tips and generally help each other out (including many beginners).

Advertisement