Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low-bar Squat Position

Options
  • 02-04-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

How does one make the transition from high bar to low bar squatting?

I have tried it out a few times and its always felt really awkward.

Firstly, I'm not sure exactly where the bar is supposed to be resting. Is it supposed to be in the lowest possible position you can get it?

Also is there more mobility required in the shoulders as it feels uncomfortable in that area, the bar is pressing against them rather than just resting there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

One of the common cues which I use is to try and create a 'shelf' with your upper back, where the bar rests on. In reality though, the bars rests more across your shoulders rather than on it. Here are a few things which might help:

1) Focus on squeezing your shoulder blades together or as if you're trying to make your elbows touch each other behind your back.

2) Get air into your belly and keep tight. You'll have more forward lean with the lowbar position so tight abs are important. In my experience it's a bit more forgiving squatting high bar with a looser core.

3) Get a bigger back! It makes the position more comfortable and having a strong upper back is always helpful. You'll probably notice a bit of carry over to your DL and Bench too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Rippetoe on low-bar positioning: http://vimeo.com/30763907

I go a bit tiny bit higher than that, simply because the bar just doesn't feel right otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Thanks for the help.
    Dathai wrote: »
    Rippetoe on low-bar positioning: http://vimeo.com/30763907

I go a bit tiny bit higher than that, simply because the bar just doesn't feel right otherwise.

I think this might suit me too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Damn.

He makes a very convincing argument (along with the other videos) for moving from a high bar position to a lower bar position.

I just thought high bar, elbows forward, back vertical, atg, was best for improving your Olympic lifts. Tempted to try low bar now.

• Advertisement

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    Damn.

He makes a very convincing argument (along with the other videos) for moving from a high bar position to a lower bar position.

I just thought high bar, elbows forward, back vertical, atg, was best for improving your Olympic lifts. Tempted to try low bar now.

He makes great arguments, but how many top notch olympic lifters has he trained...

And anyway, I think it's one of the last things that matters for a beginning/intermediate weightlifter anyway, tho others may disagree.

Ok Hanchop point taken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I think the recent 70sbig article on low bar vs high bar squatting gave a good balanced summary of the pros and cons of each. Not that anyone cares but I'm personally pro high bar unless you are a competiting in powerlifting. I think ol' Uncle Rips arguments for deadlifting/low barring for weightlifters are bogus.

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/

yeah that was a great. got side tracked watching barry kinsella interviews, that guy should take tubridy's job.

This is what I had in my head - never low bar squat unless you are training to be a power lifter. Never high bar squat unless you are training to be a olympic lifter.

I think i'll stick with my high bar, will try get some coaching on it, i have a suspicion i'm doing it **** anyway. i will try learn how to low bar and mix it in with my high and front squats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

if you transition from high bar to low bar squat will there be a gain/lose in the numbers you can lift?

• Advertisement

if you transition from high bar to low bar squat will there be a gain/lose in the numbers you can lift?

Small drop first couple of sessions, MAYBE, as you get used to it. Should be a pretty immediate increase tho.

Hanley wrote: »

Small drop first couple of sessions, MAYBE, as you get used to it. Should be a pretty immediate increase tho.

Thanks. I'll give it a go on Monday

Did low bar this morning. It took a little while to get use to positioning. That thread about hand grip helped a lot. Lift off and walk out was a bit more scary then high bar, mainly cause I had thoughts of the bar falling off my back. The actual squat felt more natural for me.

I was able to go from 160kg to 180kg and didn't feel wrecked afterwards

Advertisement