Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you buy your work out clothes?

• 02-04-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Yup, as the title says...where do you buy your workout/gym clothes?

I really need some new ones but don't want to spend too much money on them as I hope to drop a size or two so I'll be buying more again in a few months!

Comments

I generally buy from the sale rails in the sports shops!
    Heatons and dunned are great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Argos seems like a pretty good place. I've yet to buy sports equipment there though,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I generally buy from the sale rails in the sports shops!
    Heatons and dunned are great though.

Oh thanks I forgot about heatons! Haven't been in there in years but I remember they used to have fairly cheap sportswear. Will have a look this weekend, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I thought this said 'work clothes' and I was all... sports shops? :confused:

I get mine in the lifestyle sports outlet in Blanch mainly. It's left overs from previous seasons stock and you can get a really good bargain there.
    If my dad is heading up north I'll get him to stop in to Decathlon in Belfast with my shopping list. Their stuff is really good quality and looks good too but it's rather cheap. Dri-fit capri leggings for like £10 or something. Can't be beaten :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I get some from Gap in the US. Otherwise TK Maxx, M&S and the Nike and Rebook outlet shops in Kildare, occasionally Forever 21.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Depends on the gear.

I swim so I buy branded swimsuits - they do last longer and hold shape better.

I run so I buy leggings/tracksuit bottoms, fleeces and vest tops from Penneys, discounted stuff in sports shops, ebay, etc...

I only buy branded trainers to run in, and usually buy them in Elverys.

Im not all that concerned with how I look when Im working out - no amount of high fashion gear is going to disguise my red face and general sweatiness :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Forever 21 actually has some good workout clothes. I always wear their hoodies for cycling, they do decent leggings too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

TK Maxx for running tops and leggings, you can be lucky in there with Nike, Adidas etc. They often have sports bras, but usually larger sizes, so I'd go to Arnotts or a sport shop for a Shock Absorber bra.

Elvery's or Arnotts for runners, I wear Asics. Can get very good bargains in the sales.

Twee. wrote: »
    Elvery's or Arnotts for runners, I wear Asics. Can get very good bargains in the sales.

Twee I hear the Asics outlet store in Kildare has better value than Elverys on same models - although they have limited sizes and range. But Ive heard savings like 140 in Elverys and 77 for same in the outlet store. Could be worth it - I would go myself but Im lucky enough to have a childs size foot so usually get away with the cheaper versions anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Twee I hear the Asics outlet store in Kildare has better value than Elverys on same models - although they have limited sizes and range. But Ive heard savings like 140 in Elverys and 77 for same in the outlet store. Could be worth it - I would go myself but Im lucky enough to have a childs size foot so usually get away with the cheaper versions anyway.

Haha damn my size 7 feet! I must have a look next time I'm down there, cheers for the tip!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I've heard Penneys have good sports bras - is this true? Are there different types? I haven't had time to look yet but need a new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I've bought running bottoms and yoga bottoms in M&S before, as well as a sports bra and some t-shirts. I'm very happy with them, would definitely recommend taking a look there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I've heard Penneys have good sports bras - is this true? Are there different types? I haven't had time to look yet but need a new one?

Not a big fan of Penneys sports bra. The my favourite one is a racer back style from M&S. I'm a 34A.

I buy most of my stuff from TK Maxx. You can get really good deals especially on tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I thought this said 'work clothes' and I was all... sports shops? :confused:

I thought the exact same thing.

I stick to the sales racks. At least one sports shop will have a sale on. Tend to get decent nike/addidas jogging bottoms for around €15 on sale. Some of the prices on the likes of jogging bottoms etc. are scandalous!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

H&M have started doing a fitness gear range, assuming its fairly reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Heatons was closed last night so I popped into Lifestyle Sports...Maybe it's just my local store but the selection was very poor. Went to Penneys right across from it and came out with a bag of stuff. Got a really nice navy "body and soul" zip jacket, it's lightweight and really nice material (I wanted to find a jacket/hoodie that wasn't heavy or lined) some track suit bottoms, tshirts and a sports bra. The sports bra is surprisingly good! Not as good as one you'd pay €50 for obviously but it does the job for now.
    To the other girl who asked about Penneys sportsbras..go in and try on the one I got, it's called "workout! Fit for fashionistas - medium impact" it's a black bra and "keeps me in place" (I have large C/small D breasts) it was only €6. They also have packs with two bras for €7 but they seem much less supportive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I train alot and penneys sports bras are by far my favourite! They are quite stylish, come in plenty of colours and are the perfect fit.

As for where I buy workout gear, mostly online. Nikestore.com have such a wide variety of clothes and they are waaaay cheaper than buying nike clothes in the shops. I tend to stick with nike cos their clothes are sooo comfy

I'll have to pick up some of those sports bras. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Don't forget Aldi.They do some fantastic stuff from time to time, last Thursday being one of them.It goes without saying though to get proper branded footwear / gait analysis done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Aldi's special this week is running gear. They're clothes are quite good quality for the price and you could kit yourself out for under €20 easily. Avoid their shoes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Bought one in Penneys last week and I'm really happy with it! Think its great! Only 6 quid! Couldnt go wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Dunnes Stores. They got lovely tracksuits in, at a great price to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

Always good runners, goggles and stuff where quality matters. Any kind of cheap leggings and T-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Most of my t-shirts are from races, but if I'm actually buying them I usually either watch out for Aldi/Lidl bargains or buy from sports shops during sales. I have a particular preference for Nike tops for running as they are quite a bit longer than most other brands (Adidas, Mizuno and Brooks tops tend to get pulled a bit too far up by the boobage). I'm on my 4th pair of Asics Gel-Kayano 17 running shoes, paid full whack for the first ones and looked for good deals on the others. Sports bras need to be the good kind, Shock Absorber B4490 or N109 being my current picks. At a 32FF I have no choice but to go for the expensive kinds - but I've grabbed a few good bargains in the Debenhams sale. For bottoms, I tend to wear shorts or capris for most of the year, I go for Nike or Asics stuff again here. The Nike Tempo 2 in 1 shorts are ridiculously comfy, they have an inner compression short which helps to reduce chafing and stuff riding up on longer runs. My favourite capris are a pair of Asics ones that I got on a stand at the Dublin Marathon expo last year for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

+1 for Penneys sports bra. Bought a Shock Absorber one for about €25 on amazon, it was a good deal at the time but I can't close it at the back (I have problems with my joints so I can't move my arms too far behind my back). I managed to get it closed once after about 15 mins trying and was almost too tired to go to the gym after all the effort of getting it closed. Have never had any bother with the ones from Penneys.

For workout gear, usually get a few bits in Elverys when they have their 3 for 2 sales, also picked up t shirts/shorts in Heatons Sports World and TK Maxx can be good. Also find Lidl to have some good quality sports gear from time to time (like their sports socks, really comfy!)

I'm on my 4th pair of Asics Gel-Kayano 17 running shoes, paid full whack for the first ones and looked for good deals on the others. .

Where did you manage to find deals on the kayanos? They're the one show that never seem to be on sale and I'm in need of a new pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I train a lot and I use the Pennys sportsbra, as someone mentioned above I also prefer it them to my shockabsorber which I bought for around 40! I find them great but the only problem is the backs of mine have become completely frayed due to over washing but for 6euro you can't go wrong! For clothing I buy my tshirts in Pennys and I usually look out for bargains on the nike dryfit leggings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Where did you manage to find deals on the kayanos? They're the one show that never seem to be on sale and I'm in need of a new pair.

2nd pair - Sweatshop sale
    3rd pair - Elverys sale
    4th pair - Sports Direct sale

• Advertisement

http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=819&section_id=1096&sub_section_id=1097&range_id=1122

Got the performance jacket and vest (1st and 4th items), very comfortable, breathable, looks good, colour is nice and vivid. Got a 12 in the vest and a 14 in the jacket - I like to allow space in a zip up top - but still good and close fitting. Theyre a lovely long length, I hate stuff that rides up like a belly top when Im running!

Got the crop pants too but havent worn them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Sports shops (Elverys or something) for runners. I tend to end up there for at least half an hour trying on several pairs with my OH saying "they're grand" at me. I have mini feet (kids sections do get looked at from time to time) so it takes me ages to decide. I am willing to fork out a bit more for footwear though.

For Bras, I always go to M&S or Debenhams (I have a mad bra size though so can't go near Pennies, Heatons etc.). I do jump up and down in the changing room when I fit on sports bras (people must think I'm mad) just to make sure. I have gotten a few over the years that have lasted me ages so well worth the money.

For tops, pants etc. I just go to Dunnes and such like stores - I figure, I'm a big sweaty mess and don't have any desire for branded stuff, and I find Dunnes stuff quite good for lasting, so cheapy all the way!

Advertisement