Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair problem

• 03-04-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right section to post this in.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what I can buy/use that will help my hair. I went into Peter marks and the girl in there said my hair was fine but I know myself it's not. I want to get highlights but not until my hair is a bit healthier.

I have to wash my hair most days as the roots get very greasy (there seems to be a build up of something too as I notice little yellow balls in it...not dandruff) when I wake up my whole head is pretty much matted, big balls of knots. I try tying my hair up in a bun which doesn't stop it either. It takes me about 30-45 mins to brush my hair every morning. It's very hard to get it un-matted without making it a little damp. I use a tangle teaser brush. From taking all the knots out I have noticed that sometimes if a ball of fluff ends up in my hair, the hairs matt around it.

I should add that it matts at the roots mostly, from the root to about 3 inches down...just turns into balls of knots every day.

My hair is very fine and the ends seem extremely dry, I don't think they're damaged as I don't use much of anything in my hair. Can anyone recommend something to help my hair?

I haven't dyed it in 3 years, never blow dry it and have used hair straighteners about 3 times in the last year. It's strange but I notice my hair looks healthier (no frizz, doesn't look so dry) when I use straighteners, and the matts aren't even half as bad the next day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

what shampoo and conditioner do you use?
    also if you hair is dry wash it less, use a dry shampoo at first and your scalp should adjust soon enough and it will stop getting so greasy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I used to wash it every day, now it's 2-3 times a week with dry shampoo in between (my hair still "feels" dirty when I use dry shampoo and those little yellow balls..I think possibly excess sebum..show up)

Right now I alternate my shampoos and conditioners between Aussie, Pantene and herbal essence. I use Aussie deep treatment too.

Edit: forgot to add I use Nizarol (sp?) once every 3/4 washes

I'm no expert but sounds like you need to change your shampoo conditioner combo. pantene is awful for product build up and you really need a good clarifying shampoo if your going to use dry shampoo.
    I've heard hair dressers recommended washing up liquid sometimes to get rid of build up, personally i think head and shoulders is your best bet, it strips hair (so not good for colored hair) and leaves a protective residue which would help your roots. get an intense hair mask and do your whole head, elive and herbal essences have very decent affordable options.
    I don't use high end products sorry if you were looking for something more high end!

I used head and shoulders before and it was awful, left my scalp even flakier than before and my head felt like it was on fire all day.

maybe try washing up liquid and then use an intense hair mask. and for every day use a clarifying shampoo and use conditioner on your roots every now and then? sometimes Ill wash my hair apply conditioner every where and then use a tiny bit if shampoo at yet roots after. best thing for roots in think though is to let hair get greasy once and a while and brush the oil a through, you'll have to wash your hair brush though

• Advertisement

Thanks I will try that. I always thought conditioner on my roots would make them very greasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

dee. wrote: »
    I used head and shoulders before and it was awful, left my scalp even flakier than before and my head felt like it was on fire all day.

Did you try the one for sensitive scalp?
    try get a citrus shampoo and citus fruit is good for degreasing, if all comes to all lemon washing up liquid :)

I would imagine washing up liquid will make the ends of my hair/the parts that mat worse,no?

they'll take all the product build up out though aswell, so don't use it unless your going to follow with an intense conditioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

or theres a lovely one I use, which is to give you shine, but for people with greasy hair...i have same affliction...loreal http://www.echemist.co.uk/p-loreal-elvive-nutri-gloss-light-shampoo
    very good and smells gorgeous, really hope it helps

EDIT: boots have 3 for 2 on haircare atm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm not a doctor but it sounds very like the cradle cap my daughter gets, basically a build up of dead skin cells that forms yellow lumps/crusty bits (TMI!). It's common in babies and toddlers.

In adults it can be called seborrhoeic dermatitis. I'd advise going to your GP, you could spend quite a lot on over the counter products for a long time for the same price as one consultation.

I mentioned it to my GP and she recommended nizarol (sp?) which I used and didn't help it unfortunately. I have an appointment with a dermatologist in the summer about another issue but I'll mention it to her too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

hi, i had a problem similar to yours my hair would always gets so knotty if i didnt straighten it or tie it up, literly within hours of washing it, and putting loads of conditioner in ! but it might be down to dyeing it frequently and straightening it alot, but anyway recently i started using coconut oil recommended from here ! and its really helped with the knots and made my hair much smoother! maybe give that a try along with t gel shampoo i head was good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

I was also going to suggest Coconut oil, you buy it in a jar, i pay e6 in a health shop, its solid and i put a small bit in the palm of my hand and when it melts i finger it into my hair and roots, wrap hair cling film and leave in overnight, it washes out in the morning and leave my hair lovely and soft.

I find my hair gets knotty (although not as bad as you describe) with my Aussie conditioner (not the deep treatment one, my regular one). I have just started dying my hair so that might contribute but it seems to be worse when I'm using that conditioner. That said I love the smell and it's not that bad so I'm still using it (want to try the John Frieda for redheads next though so will see if it really is the conditioner causing it), but maybe you should try a different one? Too many deep treatments can cause build up in the hair too, but it sounds like you mainly use it for your dry lengths/ends which is good.

I have greasy hair too, and it really is inadvisable to wash it every day, even if it does feel gross to leave it. The more you wash your hair the more you strip it of its natural oils, and your scalp is stimulated to produce more and more oil. If you are planning on getting highlights it's best you get into a routine of only washing it every 2-3 days max anyway (I try aim for 3 but sometimes only make 2) using dry shampoo in between because over washing your hair will quickly make the highlights fade as well as worsening the oiliness problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HaroldSmith

I suggest you use natural remedies for your hair problem, try using green tea I heard it is good on scalp problem.

<a href="http://www.laofoyehair.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=57">dandruff treatment</a>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HaroldSmith

I suggest you use natural remedies for your hair problem, try using green tea I heard it is good on scalp problem.

dandruff treatment

Advertisement