Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angry Gold Gourami

Options
  • 03-04-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Right so,
    I had a 120 litre juwel tank with a nice stable community (2 Golden Gourami / 1 Dwarf Gourami / 2 Blue Gourami / 2 Red Platies / 2 Orange Platy / 1 Pleco)
    Unfortunately, during a move, I lost an orange platy and a golden gourami and the base of the tank got cracked :(
    The only tank i had was a 60 litre (2ft x 1ft x 1ft) rekord.
    All was well for about 2 days but then the gold gourami went homicidal and killed the 2 red platies. In the last couple of weeks he has become the tank bully and all the other fish now hide away behind plants and ornaments.
    At every feed, whenever the other guys come out for food, the gourami immediately charges them and they go back into hiding.
    I put it down to the sudden reduction in the size of the tank and he has become seriously territorial!

Is there anything i can do to fix this? I cant afford to buy a bigger tank :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I had one of those a few years ago and he was the same, very aggressive. I had to remove him from the tank and when I did peace was restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

I had one of those a few years ago and he was the same, very aggressive. I had to remove him from the tank and when I did peace was restored.

Did you euthanise him or give him away? He was fine until I put them in the smaller tank. Really placid.

If anyone has a big tropical tank and wants him I'll bag him up for collection. You can have him for free. As I said he was really placid in the big tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'll take him off your hands if you really want to get rid of him.

i have another one already in my 260L Juwel Vision community tank who has become very shy and withdrawn recently, so maybe a bit of company will do him good and my tank is a understocked at the moment so it could do with a few more inhabitants.

what are the chances you're around the Dublin 15 area (to save me driving too far)? :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'll take him off your hands if you really want to get rid of him.

i have another one already in my 260L Juwel Vision community tank who has become very shy and withdrawn recently, so maybe a bit of company will do him good and my tank is a understocked at the moment so it could do with a few more inhabitants.

what are the chances you're around the Dublin 15 area (to save me driving too far)? :)

Where are ya coming from? I'm in tallaght.

Here is the culprit with one of his victims :(
    557460_10150653143473425_759673424_9216122_2016095499_n.jpg

• Advertisement

i'm in blanchardstown (the exit after the toll going northbound on the m50).

i'm actually going to be working in the city centre on thursday evening, but not sure what time i'll be finished, so i could swing out and meet you somewhere if that would suit you better?

Ah so you want a home delivery service lol. chancer ;)
    i work near the red cow but am home at 5. ill pm you my number and we can sort something for thursday eve.

So any pictures of him in his new home?
    Is he behaving himself?

yep, he's been doing grand, happy as larry and he's made a friend in my gourami too, pretty much straight away. they follow each other around all the time. :)

no trouble from or with any of the other residents either, so he's definitely made himself at home.

it's hard to get a good pic though, the little bugger doesn't keep still long enough! :D

199994.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mopanelo2

is your gourami still doing ok

• Advertisement

mopanelo2 wrote: »
    is your gourami still doing ok
    Brian's Gourami is doing fine, but he killed my existing Gourami within a few weeks of arriving.

He's not caused any issues with any of the other tank inhabitants though, but the tank is quite understocked at the moment, so he's plenty of room.

He (and everyone else) has survived two house moves as well though since I got him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mopanelo2

Happy to hear he's doing OK :D
    I was just wondering if it is much bigger than in the pic now

I don't fully understand them too well I have 4 Opaline and one gold gourami in my tank I used to have two gold but there was a disagreement with one of the blue ones sadly but I have two males about 4 inches which according to the internet they shouldn't get along as well as they do.

I find that they grow real slow when in a group the other 3 are 3-3.5 inches

Advertisement