Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas without broadband in Ireland?

• 03-04-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭

Is there a site or any online information relating to areas in the country with no broadband enabled? A family member has moved into a house in St. Johnston (Co. Donegal) and I am amazed that they cannot get broadband and no one in Eircom or elsewhere can say if or when they ever will!
    Are there other parts of the country like this - or is it really that different up there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Teagwee wrote: »
    Is there a site or any online information relating to areas in the country with no broadband enabled? A family member has moved into a house in St. Johnston (Co. Donegal) and I am amazed that they cannot get broadband and no one in Eircom or elsewhere can say if or when they ever will!
    Are there other parts of the country like this - or is it really that different up there?

Sad to report that there are many places around Ireland with no broadband.
    For instance there are approx 200 exchanges (possibly more) that have not been enabled so no broadband for those people. Then there are areas that are too far from the exchange.

Often though there are FWA (Fixed wireless - not mobile) providers in the area.
    North West Electronics http://www.nwewn.com cover most of Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

She had broadband (via UTV) in her previous house and signed a contract to transfer it for 12 months to her new home. Now she just has the landline phone but they're sticking to the contract! The letting agents assured her that broadband WAS available - now they don't remember saying that. Even Vodafone mobile internet does not work there! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Can she check if 3 broadband is available? If she's in a NBS area she'll be able to get something decent. Get her to call into a 3 shop and let them check the maps and so on. Lot of people complain about 3 but they are good enough with their broadband service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

FanadMan wrote: »
    Can she check if 3 broadband is available? If she's in a NBS area she'll be able to get something decent. Get her to call into a 3 shop and let them check the maps and so on. Lot of people complain about 3 but they are good enough with their broadband service.

Just want to repeat my thanks to you FanadMan for this information - I knew nothing about the availability of NBS until I read your post. My relative just got sorted with 3 and is getting decent speeds so far, although it drops the connection a bit. They are going to get her a repeater (or booster?) to see if it helps.
    The only downside now is that she's stuck paying almost €36 a month for a landline that she hardly ever uses :( The only reason she took it on was for the broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Teagwee wrote: »
    She had broadband (via UTV) in her previous house and signed a contract to transfer it for 12 months to her new home. Now she just has the landline phone but they're sticking to the contract!
    I don't think that they can continue to charge if they are unable to provide the service. Maybe that isn't the case since the contract was for a previous address but I'm surprised that they get away with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement