Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish AFL players

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Carlton's Ciaran Byrne getting a start against the Bombers on Saturday at the MCG! Apparently he's done well in the VFL so hopefully he'll get the AFL CV off to a good start too...

A guy I work with is very well connected within Carlton and he reckons the coaching staff are massively excited about Byrne. More so than pretty much all their kids bar Cripps. The reckon he just has it.

I can see why to be honest, he fits the exact prototype of the modern AFL midfielder - tall, quick, takes a good mark above his head, very agile and good disposal. It's a tough game to make your debut in but I hope it goes well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

SSK wrote: »
    A guy I work with is very well connected within Carlton and he reckons the coaching staff are massively excited about Byrne. More so than pretty much all their kids bar Cripps. The reckon he just has it.

I can see why to be honest, he fits the exact prototype of the modern AFL midfielder - tall, quick, takes a good mark above his head, very agile and good disposal. It's a tough game to make your debut in but I hope it goes well for him.
    Picked up an injury apparently on his debut, he wont be travelling to new zeland for the anzac match

He looks good does young Brophy, he's a serious size of a lad for a first year Irish rookie. He's putting up good numbers in the WAFL with East Perth so it definitely wouldn't surprise me if he debuted at some point this year, especially given the Eagles seem to have seriously hacked off the injury gods.

In other Irish news:

P. Hanley is 3-4 weeks away from returning, most probably after the Lions' bye. Will be great to see him out on the park again. C. Hanley won't play this year but his recovery is seemingly going well and he is back running.

Byrne will hopefully be back next week and will most likely play one or two in the reserves before getting another AFL shot but I expect him to play a lot in the second half of the season as Carlton are bloody awful at the moment.

Not such good news on Sheehan. He hasn't been seen since week 1 of the NAB which is over 2 months ago now. He's been listed as 1-2 weeks away on the Carlton injury list for the last 6 weeks and rumours (BigFooty so take with appropriate levels of salt) abound that he needs/needed surgery on a dodgy groin. Not sure why Carlton are reluctant to expand on his injury.

Tuohy has been plugging away in an under siege Carlton backline and has been going well considering, although he was average enough at the weekend. He's up to 50+ consecutive games now which is great going.

Sean Hurley played his first senior Peel Thunder (Freo reserves) game at the weekend which is good progress. Didn't get much of it but he was playing as a KPD so not really surprising. Hopefully he can hold his spot there for the year now.

Padraig Lucey played his best game for the year for the Geelong reserves against Collingwood at the weekend and kicked 4 goals. He's definitely not physically developed enough to compete consistently in the ruck but his contested marking as a forward is excellent for a rookie and his kicking is very efficient. The full game is up on the Collingwood youtube page if anyone fancies a look.

Sheehan confirmed to be having an operation on his groin and will probably miss the rest of the season. Terrible luck really when he would have played probably every game this year on the back of his 2014 form. Hopefully no lasting damage and he can return better in 2016 (on the assumption he'll be kept on, I'd be 90% sure he will be regardless of the injury)

SSK wrote: »
    Sheehan confirmed to be having an operation on his groin and will probably miss the rest of the season. Terrible luck really when he would have played probably every game this year on the back of his 2014 form. Hopefully no lasting damage and he can return better in 2016 (on the assumption he'll be kept on, I'd be 90% sure he will be regardless of the injury)

Gutted for him :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Idaho Ver. 3

Anyone care to sum up the Irish players seasons? I didn't get time to follow the game at all this year, save for the usual drug-abuse, scandal headlines.

Anyone care to sum up the Irish players seasons? I didn't get time to follow the game at all this year, save for the usual drug-abuse, scandal headlines.
    Sheehan missed the whole season for Carlton, terrible luck considering his performances last year would have got him a start. Zac Tuhoy had an ok season, played above average for the most part on Carlton's terrible season. Byrne got his debut and i reckon could be a gun for Carlton next year. Not sure about Hanley but I think he returned after his injury and finished out the season not too badly. His brother has joined Brisbane lions too. Mckenna made his debut for Essendon towards the end of the season and kicked a fine first goal, one for the future although he needs to put on a lot of size, he has great pace. I haven't being following Brophys performace etc with west coast but I know he was starting in the WAFL. I only came across Padraig lucey when I was watching the recruit and I saw there was an Irish in it, he didn't win it but he went off too Geelong, I'm not too sure how he is doing. Sorry for the vague review

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Alt J wrote: »
    Sheehan missed the whole season for Carlton, terrible luck considering his performances last year would have got him a start. Zac Tuhoy had an ok season, played above average for the most part on Carlton's terrible season. Byrne got his debut and i reckon could be a gun for Carlton next year. Not sure about Hanley but I think he returned after his injury and finished out the season not too badly. His brother has joined Brisbane lions too. Mckenna made his debut for Essendon towards the end of the season and kicked a fine first goal, one for the future although he needs to put on a lot of size, he has great pace. I haven't being following Brophys performace etc with west coast but I know he was starting in the WAFL. I only came across Padraig lucey when I was watching the recruit and I saw there was an Irish in it, he didn't win it but he went off too Geelong, I'm not too sure how he is doing. Sorry for the vague review

Lucey was playing for Killarney Legion at the weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Sean Hurley is doing pretty well for a first year player. Started off in the Peel Reserves but was bumped up to Peel during the season.

From the Fremantle Website:
    What the coach says (Marc Webb): He’s made the adjustment and been fantastic in the way he’s adapted since coming from Ireland. Zac Dawson has taken him under his wing with the potential of Sean being a defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Mackman wrote: »
    Sean Hurley is doing pretty well for a first year player. Started off in the Peel Reserves but was bumped up to Peel during the season.

From the Fremantle Website:
    What the coach says (Marc Webb): He’s made the adjustment and been fantastic in the way he’s adapted since coming from Ireland. Zac Dawson has taken him under his wing with the potential of Sean being a defender

Coz the world needs another Zac Dawson :D:cool:

Ah no, seriously, he (Hurley) is supposed to have taken very well to life over there in WA. Would be great to see another Irish AFL player break through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Alt J wrote: »

Wasn't Tuhoy an All-Australian this year? Thought he was very good from the games I saw him in. He's got some kick on him. Routinely able to carry the ball towards the uprights from 60m inwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Idaho Ver. 3

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Wasn't Tuhoy an All-Australian this year? .

I heard/read that about Tuohy as well....!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_All-Australian_team

He's not even listed in the 40-man longlist.

What happened there??!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Yeah, I think those stories got lost in translation.

Tuohy was named in the Coaches 2015 All-Australian team, not the Official All-Australian team...

Advertisement