Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifle & License questions.

Options
  • 03-04-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Ive got a Bsa meteor .177 pellet air rifle for dealing with a vermin problem. Just wondering at what age can my son get a license for a it? He is 17 now, and can he be put on my license?

On a side note what would be the best type of ammo to use. i know they come in different shapes, any recommendations for vermin?

Lastly, i picked up the young lads airsoft rifle earlier and had a brain wave. Could i fit his 3-9 x 32 scope on my bsa? I've never had a "real" rifle as such only ever had this. Can anyone tell me what diameter is the ring in scope rings and how far apart are those little hooks that grip to the gun?

Excuse my non shooting lingo but its a new area to me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

E.B wrote: »
    Ive got a Bsa meteor .177 pellet air rifle for dealing with a vermin problem. Just wondering at what age can my son get a license for a it? He is 17 now, and can he be put on my license?

On a side note what would be the best type of ammo to use. i know they come in different shapes, any recommendations for vermin?

Lastly, i picked up the young lads airsoft rifle earlier and had a brain wave. Could i fit his 3-9 x 32 scope on my bsa? I've never had a "real" rifle as such only ever had this. Can anyone tell me what diameter is the ring in scope rings and how far apart are those little hooks that grip to the gun?

Excuse my non shooting lingo but its a new area to me.

Thanks

Yes, he'll have to fill out an FCA1 formu and he will probably have to do a competency course too.

Well what type of vermin are you shooting? I don't have an air rifle but I imagine different types of pellets work best on different quarry.

You could put it on the rifle but it probably won't withstand the recoil, spring air rifles can be hard on scopes. The ring diameter is probably 25 or 30mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Blay wrote: »
    I don't have an air rifle but I imagine different types of pellets work best on different quarry.

Whichever pellet you can consistently put where it's needed is the right pellet for the job.

Everything else is irrelevent. Most fella's I've encountered who do any reasonable amount of "vermination" use decent quality field target (domed) pellets.

Nobody uses hollow points or pointed tips - they simply cant ensure comparable consistency at range.

In order to find the best pellet for your rifle, you just have to test a variety until you find the one you can get the best groups with.
    E.B. wrote:
    Bsa meteor .177 pellet air rifle ... Could i fit his 3-9 x 32 scope ... Can anyone tell me what diameter is the ring in scope rings and how far apart are those little hooks that grip to the gun?Just wondering at what age can my son get a license for a it? He is 17 now, and can he be put on my license?

The meteor is a spring gun - it'll chew any non-springer rated scope up and spit it back at you long before you've half a tin sent downrange.

You'll require a Hawke or a Bushnell scope to withstand the recoil involved.

The scope rings are likely either 1" (25mm) or 30mm, but it depends on the scope, and the rails on an air rifle are usually 9-11mm. Good mounts are an absolute must on a springer though, so I wouldn't use anything airsoft related, they're usually made out of el-crappo grade aluminium - entirely useless.
    E.B. wrote:
    Just wondering at what age can my son get a license for a it? He is 17 now, and can he be put on my license?

At 17, he can get a licence of his own no problem but will be required to fill out the FCA1 and submit it with all required supporting documentation. As Blay mentioned, he'll likely need to do a compentency course somewhere before applying. There is no requirement for him to be put on your licence. He will be (hopefully) issued with an entirely seperate licence but on the same rifle as yourself.

Advertisement