Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So how different really are the sexes?

• 03-04-2012 6:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

At the end of the day are men and women really so very different from each other? For example if you were typing to someone over the internet and didn’t know before hand if the person was a man or a woman and couldn’t ask any direct questions relating to what sex they were how fast do you think you could work it out? (Obviously pretending that there are women on the internet which as we all know is just a lie "Disclaimer: this is a joke and I know that women use the internet").
    Have you ever posted here and had a poster replied indicating that they were of the opposite sex to what you had originally thought? I know I have.
    There are regularly a lot of treads here (often with titles like “ how come no Irish girls will ride me?” that somewhat brake down into the boys v’s the girls and often one lady will take up the baton for female kind and battle the hoards of evil sexist men until she gets tiered of the bull**** about sandwiches and stops posting. I mean we all eat and poop we all want our naughty bits touched nicely by people we think attractive. Why can’t we all just get along?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Doc wrote: »
    At the end of the day are men and women really so very different from each other? For example if you were typing to someone over the internet and didn’t know before hand if the person was a man or a woman and couldn’t ask any direct questions relating to what sex they were how fast do you think you could work it out? (Obviously pretending that there are women on the internet which as we all know is just a lie "Disclaimer: this is a joke and I know that women use the internet").
    Have you ever posted here and had a poster replied indicating that they were of the opposite sex to what you had originally thought? I know I have.
    There are regularly a lot of treads here (often with titles like “ how come no Irish girls will ride me?” that somewhat brake down into the boys v’s the girls and often one lady will take up the baton for female kind and battle the hoards of evil sexist men until she gets tiered of the bull**** about sandwiches and stops posting. I mean we all eat and poop we all want our naughty bits touched nicely by people we think attractive. Why can’t we all just get along?

Yes, boobies and balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Is this your way of telling us you had cyber sex with a bloke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

can usually tell on boards by some posters getting really pissy once a month,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Women can have babies and well men cant. Strange question coming from a doc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

smash wrote: »

Pics or GTFO....

wait never mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Well IMO, the best ones are very different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

You sound like you'd be one of those captain save-a-ho lads on a night out.

• Advertisement

Who me?
    ...and what's a "captain save-a-ho"?
    is that a dude that cock-blocks?
    or an "any holes a goal" type?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Zulu wrote: »
    Who me?
    ...and what's a "captain save-a-ho"?
    is that a dude that cock-blocks?
    or an "any holes a goal" type?

Not you, the op. It's those cûnts who try to come to a girl's defence when it clearly isn't necessary in a misguided attempt at gaining favour with her so he can lamp it into her later. It doesn't work, just looks pathetic and is the most beta approach to procuring mates imaginable.

Ah those chaps. Make great friends, those fellas do. Fast track to friend zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe some posters are right and there is a misogynistic tone to some posts on AH

Oh course there is Grummy, it's the internet. You find everything here in equal amounts: misogynistic posts; misandrist posts; racist posts. It's a product of anonymous hero posting.

Don't let it bother you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

In the dark, it's all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Saying there's equal misogyny to misandry on Boards is a big, huge lie.

It's true OP, lots of female posters here are assumed to be male, but men and women are totally different still in fairness.

They exist for sure and can be cringey, but a guy telling another guy he's got a kunty attitude towards women isn't always a white knight type either - just making you aware of the distinction as you probably encounter it quite a bit, thread advising others to cum ON the hotties etc. Wonder how many hotties you've actually cum on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Dudess wrote: »

It's true OP, lots of female posters here are assumed to be male, but men and women are totally different still in fairness.

Speaking of misogyny (alleged of course)

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/phil-hogans-smug-text-tells-woman-to-relax-and-feed-the-kids-0023008-1

Dudess wrote: »

Speaking of misogyny (alleged of course)

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/phil-hogans-smug-text-tells-woman-to-relax-and-feed-the-kids-0023008-1
    I wouldn't call that misogyny, just being a twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Some members of this government seem to be going all out to scupper themselves at the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I know the physical differences between men and women. What I want to know is do you guys think that the sexes think and act differently and in a situation such as we are in now where our sex is not immediately identifiable is it still easy to tell a guy from a girl. Oh and I don't stand up for girls who are being thick to try and have sex with them.

What I want to know is do you guys think that the sexes think and act differently and in a situation such as we are in now where our sex is not immediately identifiable is it still easy to tell a guy from a girl.
    Well girls rarely say "pics or gtfo" or "your ma".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Some members of this government seem to be going all out to scupper themselves at the next election.
    The government are doing enough to scupper themselves but I'm not sure that story is for real.

As for misogyny here, I'm never sure whether it does exist in any great number or whether it's down to trolling (subtle or blatant) or young posters with misinformed opinions, who eventually will mature....hopefully.

As a resolution to myself I'm going to attempt to ignore any blatant wind-up posts beginning with,

I'm not racist but....
    I'm not religious but...(usually as a precursor to a dig at 'militant atheists')
    and any containing the phrases "PC brigade" and "bleeding heart liberals"

Well girls rarely say "pics or gtfo" or "your ma".

Have seen some say Your Da

Have seen some say Your Da
    And then you know they're female! :)

But it shows the same thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

or gay!

But it shows the same thinking
    Well maybe, but I'm guessing that when a bloke says it they probably instinctively think of some hot milf. But when a girl says it they're just messing and there's probably no actual sexual thoughts.

• Advertisement

Well maybe, but I'm guessing that when a bloke says it they probably instinctively think of some hot milf. But when a girl says it they're just messing and there's probably no actual sexual thoughts.

But thats what you think they think... they could be thinking about some hot difl

But thats what you think they think... they could be thinking about some hot difl

But futurama told me there's no real girls on the internet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Don't know about that, there's a few older gents that are very popular with the mrs :mad::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Not so different really. People perceive more difference than there is.

You see a different side of the opposite sex than you see in your own. Just because the nature of the relationships you experience are often different. Take a step back and you see the same things in both though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Apples and oranges.

But futurama told me there's no real girls on the internet!
    There's like two girls on the interweb, and they've got their knickers in a serious twist!

...or they're stripping. I'm not too sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

I cannot put my finger on it, but I can usually tell quite quickly who is a man or woman on this. Maybe because men think about things that wouldn't even occur to me?

ihsb wrote: »
    I cannot put my finger on it, but I can usually tell quite quickly who is a man or woman on this. Maybe because men think about things that wouldn't even occur to me?
    You're a woman?

:pac:

You're a woman?

:pac:

Last time I checked I was..... yep I still am:p

Last time I checked I was..... yep I still am:p
    Pics or GTFO!

... now guess what I am! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Boys have willies, girls have gees ;)

• Advertisement

Pics or GTFO!

A prick?

Pics or GTFO!

A prick?
    Bingo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Zulu wrote: »
    There's like two girls on the interweb, and they've got their knickers in a serious twist!

...or they're stripping. I'm not too sure.

I suggest you invest in some larger Brenda Frickers if they are giving you a wedgie.

Bingo!

Told you I was good

I'm strippping; you must have me confused with someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I think that we can be very similar yes neglecting physical differences. I think your point about mixing up the sexes on the internet proves that, which happens all the time. Most times we distinguish between the sexes on boards from people's avatars and usernames. When I had a more neutral avatar people would mistake me for the wrong sex too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Apart from the biological differences, we're all the same.

There are some people though, who really buy into the social gender constructs, "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" type stuff.

I know some women whose only focus in life is getting married, leaving work, and having 2.4 kids because they unthinkingly feel they're supposed to, not out of any genuine desire to do so, and get their conceptions of gender relations entirely from Boots ads and cut-and-paste facebook statuses.

Equally, I know some men who only see women as potential sexual conquests, assume all men like the specific sports they like (sample conversation I had recently: Guy: "Do you like the G.A.A?" Me: "Not really, I'm more into football." Guy: "Yeah, I'd say we'll do well in the hurling this year, what do you think?") and would be very wary of anything that might seem "girly" or "gay."

While I do seem to notice slightly more men conforming to such outdated stereotypes (no idea why, maybe I just spend more time with men overall, or are more aware of their actions), people like this are in the minority, and most people I know are interesting, complex people combining aspects traditionally seen as both masculine and feminine, regardless of their gender.

Also, I'm a man, you might be surprised to know.
    *files nail while humming Florence + the Machine song*

I know some women whose only focus in life is getting married, leaving work, and having 2.4 kids because they unthinkingly feel they're supposed to, not out of any genuine desire to do so, and get their conceptions of gender relations entirely from Boots ads and cut-and-paste facebook statuses.

That is exactly what I want. No social construct. Just what I want from life. I hate it when people tell me it is what I want because the media put it on me. I think nowadays the media is telling woman the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

That is exactly what I want. No social construct. Just what I want from life. I hate it when people tell me it is what I want because the media put it on me. I think nowadays the media is telling woman the opposite.

People can genuinely want those things too, and I don't doubt that's what you really want. I know some people who got married and had kids because that's what they wanted to do.

But I do know a couple of people without an original thought in their heads who got married to people they didn't really care about and started a family with them just because they felt they should, without ever actually considering whether they ought to or really wanted to.

Thankfully such people are in the minority nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 cremeeggeater

I think it's more acceptable for women to be open with their emotions and women fuss over the smaller details.

I think men often bypass the little things, which can be both good and bad.

Those are both personal generalizations though and I'm in no way saying that everyone conforms to them. Sometimes I think I have the opposite mindset, I certainly get on better with the opposite sex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement