Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC geo blocking again on acc streams on tune in app etc

• 03-04-2012 7:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Damn it we used to be able to hear the soccer , cricket formula one,golf etc. just tryed tune in on bbc five live sports extra this morn and live cricket blocked. Back to square one again, any other way around this lads on smartphones :-//

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭decies

I emailed Tune in about it, fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

I went out this morning looking forward to listening to the cricket, but instead I got due to rights issues blah blah ( which I not understand because the BBC own the rights for radio and know one has them the ROI).

There is a station called test match sofa on tune in radio broadcasting the cricket now, it's dreadfull to be honest but it is working .

Have found a way to get it working on the bbc on tune in. It does involve a small nominal fee and downloading a app, but it does work , so all good. Pm me if you want to know how to do on I phone. Tune in tell me they know of problem and are working with the bbc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I hope they get a way around this. Thanks to whoever it was pimped Tunein on here. For a brief period there was happiness. Hope to go they get it 'fixed' before the Euro's.

• Advertisement

It's gone again, VPN has stopped working which is really strange. I only checked in to hear the golf. Tunin emailed me saying basically there was little they could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

decies wrote: »
    Damn it we used to be able to hear the soccer , cricket formula one,golf etc. just tryed tune in on bbc five live sports extra this morn and live cricket blocked. Back to square one again, any other way around this lads on smartphones :-//

You can always get it too on a small sat dish and a cheap receiver B & Q currently selling a complete kit for €49, hook it up to your stereo and then you have all the free englsih radio channels crystal clear. You can even record them to usb also plenty of info over on the Satellite section. :cool:

It's gone again, VPN has stopped working which is really strange. I only checked in to hear the golf. Tunin emailed me saying basically there was little they could do.
    It's working fine for me golf last night from 10.30 pm on five live extra,cricket this morning. I wonder will they geo block the boat race lol. I realise you can get it on free sat and UPC or sky , but portable devices are handy if you want to listen to sport .

Boat race geo blocked lol.

The cricket was fine this am with me. I have sky and I get radio 4 LW but the reception is a bit iffy when out and about. It just seems like they have levels of geoblocking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

gawd damn it.

For the first time I find myself geo-blocked in the last day or so on BBC5.
    I tried 3G & Wifi & alternate streams to no avail.

"due to rights restrictions..... etc"

Is there any recommended alternative to TuneIn out there??

Nothing will work except pm me for solution to smartphone problem.

O just out of interest OOtunes app has a PGA tour radio station for all American golf if that's what you like.

Can anyone understand how certain programmes get blocked even with aVPN and others do not. It seems like the must have ways of blocking certain programmes and not others(isn't that why we have VPN, there doesn't seem much point in them if they get blocked as well!)

Did a bit of research and companies like the BBC have software that recognise certain IP address as VPN and block them, they allow some through but block others. The VPN have to change their IP address on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I was wondering were others having this issue.

Had clicked on to listen to Sunday's show, only to hear a preview of the FA Cup final between Portsmouth and Cardiff from 2008!!!!!!!

Very frustrating.

Although it only seems to be happening on BBC R5L, not on any other BBC station I use on the TuneIn app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Col200sx wrote: »
    I was wondering were others having this issue.

Had clicked on to listen to Sunday's show, only to hear a preview of the FA Cup final between Portsmouth and Cardiff from 2008!!!!!!!

Very frustrating.

Although it only seems to be happening on BBC R5L, not on any other BBC station I use on the TuneIn app.

Its only content that has exclusivity rights for broadcast within a region that gets affected, so sports for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Its only content that has exclusivity rights for broadcast within a region that gets affected, so sports for the most part.
    yup, but for some of the premiership games (and possibly other events) bbc world service does have them online.

That said, a lot of premiership games are on TodayFm or Newstalk anyhow so no problem getting those in ireland, even on a smartphone and depending on the device even without using your data allowance if they have an fm radio on board!! .

that bbc is blocking VPNs is news to me, but I'll say no more here with the new Irish internet legislation scaring the cr@p out of the boards mods!

VPN networks are not illegal, some are run by companies like Cisco systems

Advertisement