Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cement Strike?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm going to reset this thread to just after it was reopened and this will be the last warning to all people wishing to discuss anything on this thread. I will add that back seat modding will not be tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 indamicks

the strike is still on going.c.r.h dont seem to be up for talks

where will it end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

indamicks wrote: »
    the strike is still on going.c.r.h dont seem to be up for talks

where will it end?

RSN, real soon now, considering that there is no demand for cement, the plant is practically in mothballs, payroll savings, etc., and the work force certainly badly advised by their union, ye are doing the company a favour, I would'nt be holding my breath for an early resolution.
    My 2 cents worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

jbkenn wrote: »
    RSN, real soon now, considering that there is no demand for cement, the plant is practically in mothballs, payroll savings, etc., and the work force certainly badly advised by their union, ye are doing the company a favour, I would'nt be holding my breath for an early resolution.
    My 2 cents worth.

If there is no demand for cement then how on earth did CRH manage to make profits of over 700 million euro last year??

jbkenn wrote: »
    My 2 cents worth.
    on your first point there r boats every two weeks coming in to limerick .so yes there is a big demand out there.point 2 mothballs? c.r.h have spent millions in the last few years in both plants .point 3 i do hope it ends soon i dont think any one wants strike even c.r.h
    that was my two cents tks;)

• Advertisement

jordainius wrote: »
    If there is no demand for cement then how on earth did CRH manage to make profits of over 700 million euro last year??
    I don't know, was that in Ireland or worldwide?, I suspect it was worldwide

on your first point there r boats every two weeks coming in to limerick .so yes there is a big demand out there.point 2 mothballs? c.r.h have spent millions in the last few years in both plants .point 3 i do hope it ends soon i dont think any one wants strike even c.r.h
    that was my two cents tks;)

Before the strike, was the Limerick plant running at 100%, 50%, 20% capacity?, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Is this the cement going out to Belgium if so I imagine that will be filled in other ways by plants on the continent, surely some of ye want out of this union lark?

No Money whilst on Strike , with company not willing to break will result in no money whatsoever if CRH feel the money can be made elsewhere like in Finland and Ukraine leaving ye in the lurch completely. The lads running the union need to come back to reality this is not the Irish Cement of 10 years ago nor the country of 10 years ago.

Ye are fighting a losing battle, the company has never let a strike go on so long since the seventies thats indicative of how they dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Blanchguy

Is this still going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Blanchguy wrote: »
    Is this still going on?
    Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

They were at the roundabout this morning so i guess so.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

the company are now suppling a different brand at the same cost price people need cement or other jobs will be lost around the industry think its a brand called lafarge

• Registered Users Posts: 1 degill

Yes week 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

CRH are probably laughing away to themselves , not costing them any wages by people out protesting , whoever in the "union" that are telling these people to be out on strike need a slap of reality , because this is only going to end badly for the employees who don't want to be on strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

RVN10 wrote: »
    CRH are probably laughing away to themselves , not costing them any wages by people out protesting , whoever in the "union" that are telling these people to be out on strike need a slap of reality , because this is only going to end badly for the employees who don't want to be on strike.

I doubt CRH are laughing.(local management anyway)
    Strikes give bad impression to head quarters...if demand comes for more cement to be made it may not go to Limerick plant.

RVN10 wrote: »
    Ah you see thats the thing though, they will get their wages in form of back pay when the strike has been resolved.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Strikes give bad impression to head quarters...if demand comes for more cement to be made it may not go to Limerick plant.
    There is no real form of management in the Limerick plant for quite some time. There is no longer a plant manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Chong wrote: »
    martyc5674 wrote: »
    There is no real form of management in the Limerick plant for quite some time. There is no longer a plant manager.

Interesting setup!!
    Must work for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The faceofcement

After a meeting of the striking workers today at cement works limerick , we are more determined then ever to stay out until the company uphold the labour court recommendation to pay their workers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

After a meeting of the striking workers today at cement works limerick , we are more determined then ever to stay out until the company uphold the labour court recommendation to pay their workers

Sounds great but what if they decide to never make cement in Limerick again?

I don't exactly see any public support for this, if its being unloaded in Limerick port next door I don't see any blocades there?

Pride comes before a fall and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Sounds great but what if they decide to never make cement in Limerick again?

I don't exactly see any public support for this, if its being unloaded in Limerick port next door I don't see any blocades there?

Pride comes before a fall and all that.

If they tried to put a blockade in place at Limerick Port, then they would be in trouble with the law.

After doing a bit of reading on the strike and on the Two Labour court rulings that went in favour of the workers (which the company decided to ignore. I reckon if the Labour court had ruled in favour of the company then the company would suddenly want it put in place:rolleyes:), I have nothing but sympathy for the workers.

Funny how the Occupy movement and certain political organisations were quick to jump to the defence of the evicted couple in Dublin (who are now known to own at least 34 other properties in Ireland and the UK) but none want to back a group of workers who are having what the courts said they should get denied to them.

Kess73 wrote: »
    If they tried to put a blockade in place at Limerick Port, then they would be in trouble with the law.

No but the men in the port could refuse to unload the ships or make some sort of a stand, which is what is my point - I don't see any support for this.

Compare it to say the Viva Cortex thing in Cork where there seemed to be a lot of pro worker publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No but the men in the port could refuse to unload the ships or make some sort of a stand, which is what is my point - I don't see any support for this.

Compare it to say the Viva Cortex thing in Cork where there seemed to be a lot of pro worker publicity.

But if the men in the port refuse to do their jobs, then they would lose their jobs and not have a leg to stand on.

I know the Vita Cortex workers had a small splinter group go and try to blockade one of the sister companies, but the unions were very quick to distance themselves from those actions and the small number who did it were left without any back upo for their blockade actions.

In relation to the publicity the Vita Cortex workers have gotten, well quite a number of the politicians in Cork got involved and it was pushed hard in the media. It would appear that politicians down there are a little more accountable to voters than some of those up here in Limerick.

the workers are steping things up people watch this space

the workers are steping things up people watch this space
    Ooooh cant wait, whats next ? You already had a marquee, a bbq , jesus the anticipation is killing us....

pffffft :rolleyes:

Ooooh cant wait, whats next ? You already had a marquee, a bbq , jesus the anticipation is killing us....

pffffft :rolleyes:
    sarcasm is the lowest from of with no one finds you funny.this strike is verry serious,

sarcasm is the lowest from of with no one finds you funny.this strike is verry serious,

How do you know the rest of us don't find it funny?;)

Ah you see thats the thing though, they will get their wages in form of back pay when the strike has been resolved.
    no they wont:confused:

How do you know the rest of us don't find it funny?;)
    how is strike funny , sorry i dont get you. we cant aford to feed or family all we are doing is standing up for ourselfs .remembere the labour court said we had to be paid but irish cement have just pissed on the law of or land you know im right

• Advertisement

how is strike funny , sorry i dont get you. we cant aford to feed or family all we are doing is standing up for ourselfs .remembere the labour court said we had to be paid but irish cement have just pissed on the law of or land you know im right

I never said the strike was funny, I said you don't know if other people found chongs post funny.

As regards CRH pissing on the law of the land you are very misguided. The labour court is just another toothless quango which to me seems to piss all over the private sector to protect their public sector pensionable and permanent jobs and justify their existence.

CRH and viva cortex being recent examples of fruitless time wasting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement