Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Pink Run 10k & 5k - September 16th

Options
  • 03-04-2012 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just to let you know about the Great Pink Run for Breast Cancer Ireland that will take place on Sunday September 16th.

This year we will have a 5k and 10k (2 lap) race. The course is one of the flattest (and most scenic urban!) races in the country and a perfect opportunity for a PB attempt.

Check out the website www.greatpinkrun.ie for more details.

Generous cash prizes are also on offer.....

As well as being a great race for the running community, it is also a great day out for all the family down at the Point Village.

Your entire entry fee goes to Breast Cancer Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anyone do this today?

Good points:
    - Plenty for the kids to do, free face painting etc.
    - Nice flat route, good to run roads in the city
    - Great cause
    - Easy to get to, handy parking etc.

Bad points:
    - Bit chaotic pre-race, picking up numbers, long queues etc.
    - Not nearly enough toilets, more long queues
    - Ran out of L t-shirts, even when pre-booked
    - Mixing 5k and 10k doesn't work well imo, people getting in each others way at times
    - Marshals didn't seem to be very well briefed, some giving incorrect directions to runners

Not sure I'd do it again, haven't done many races but any I have done have been organised better than this one. Shame because it would be easy to fix most of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yep, ran the 5k (after the half-marathon yesterday!). Didn't have any problems with registering, picking up numbers because I did it at 11 when it opened. The toilet queues looked awful (and saw a few popping in to various hotels and pubs along the way). Didn't notice any problems with the directions either, although they could have done with a few more cones in places. And the water station looked a bit crowded.

The biggest problem was the lack of direction before the start. I still don't know: whether I started in a wave; where the other waves were; if there was a 20 minute delay at the start or whether the other waves were gone earlier; if there was a twenty minute delay, what was the reason. I saw a single A4-sized sign at head height for "walkers and strollers", but it seemed to have no meaning in terms of where to start. Plus the truck they had announcements coming from was only audible if you were standing directly in front of it, not if you were lining up to start. I've done plenty of races, and always make sure to start in the correct wave, so I was actively looking for the waves and still couldn't find any information.

Still, once we got going, it seemed to be handled quite well, and it was enjoyable running on the city centre streets. Had to be careful of the different paces of the different groups, and it was a bit tight coming into the final turn/half-way point, but all in all, I wouldn't totally discount it for the future. So long as they learn from their mistakes. Taking a while to get the results though, still not up. Maybe the Independent has an exclusive deal on printing the times, but coming from the race series yesterday where I had a text with my time waiting for me when I got back to the car, it's disappointing

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gate22

Really enjoyed today, real feel good. this is constructive points to make it even better I'M IN NO WAY GIVING OUT.
    Good points
    • No shortage of feel good factor by runners and staff (Marshals were great IMO)
    • Great route, did what it said on the tin flat and fast
    • Great goodie bag
    • Fun things for the family while they waited
    • Plenty of parking options due to it being Sunday
    Bad points
    • Toilets going by the theory 1 toilet per 100 people it was short, but fair play to the Gibson hotel it was a cattle mart in both toilets. Especially when it was around check out time, so bravo them for turning a blind eye.
    • Queues will happen thats life, I arrived at 12.00 and strolled up to get my number. It would help if you want to have allotted tables for number collection, and want people to find number on list first. Maybe put lists in the open and also have people line walk with lists as well.
    • Water was in the perfect loction, on lap one it well stocked but on lap two it was a supply issue which might have been sorted after I passed
    • Price was standard for 5k or 10k, maybe €15 for 5k and €20/€25 for 10k. And encourage mycharity.ie for all extra donation.
    • Have the bouncy castles and food in the square and the trailer with the guy talking near the start/finish. He like us had no idea when we were starting when 2pm passed and also was too far away. The warn up was fun
    Today was a great day and although I pointed these things above, It will not put me off this fun fell good event next year. Events will never run completly smothly but these guys did very well
    Thanks

PauloMN wrote: »
    Anyone do this today?

Good points:
    - Plenty for the kids to do, free face painting etc.
    - Nice flat route, good to run roads in the city
    - Great cause
    - Easy to get to, handy parking etc.

Bad points:
    - Bit chaotic pre-race, picking up numbers, long queues etc.
    - Not nearly enough toilets, more long queues
    - Ran out of L t-shirts, even when pre-booked
    - Mixing 5k and 10k doesn't work well imo, people getting in each others way at times
    - Marshals didn't seem to be very well briefed, some giving incorrect directions to runners

Not sure I'd do it again, haven't done many races but any I have done have been organised better than this one. Shame because it would be easy to fix most of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

When are the times published in the Irish Independent? Is it today - Monday 17th Sept?
    Can I get the results elsewhere- maybe online?

I have to agree - it was very poorly organised at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

My wife ran the 10k - myself and the kids cheered her on.

The fun stuff for the kids was great. The toy trains and face painting were particular hits with our lot as they're a bit younger.

I'd move the PA truck to the start line, partly to connect it with the starters as suggested above but also to stop it competing with 98fm. The noise in the middle of the square was a bit of a mess as a result.

I'd also like to see one or two 98fm / other music systems set up around the course. The atmosphere was decidedly lacking as soon as you leave the start / finish area.

That said, I'd agree that we're deifintely hoping to return next year. I think it's today's Indo that carries the times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 QandA

I took part in the 10k race yesterday and was delighted to take part in a great day, raise funds & help a very worthy cause!

However, as a participant in the 10k race that was on offer, I was dissppointed with a few things on the day and thought there were some over sights in planning an event on this scale and type.

- Agree with the previous posters, the start was poorly organised.

- Race was delayed by 15 mins which is not ideal for race preparation etc especially when challenging your PB on a flat course etc was one of the 'selling' points for the addition of the 10k race this year - only 5k last year.

- There was no PA/hooter etc to start or communicate with the participants frmo the starting point - one girl in a bib with a walkie-talkie that said 'go' to the front row.

- There were three categories of participants advertised on the site but it was a free for all at the line-up.

- Some of the marshals looked like they were mostly first-year college students that were not actively marshalling at all - actually saw one motor-cycle cop on the quays roaring and pointing at 3 of them to start marshalling/segregating two stream of participants along quays near the start on my way in from first 5k.

- There were three streams of runners unsegregated on the same track on the back-end of the race at one point along the quays and it was all quite messy and at time dangerous with people travelling in opposite directions nearly colliding on a few occassions I saw.

- To top it all off, my chip time didn't register! :rolleyes:

Yes, I know it is basically a 'fun-run' and of coursefor a great cause but when it comes to organising events such as this, on this scale (3000 people through the streets of Dublin city centre), and with such a large amout of resources required, there are some things that should be done the right way and not overlook some details - particularly as the 10k race was offered this year.

The Focus Ireland Tunnel Run 10k was much better organized with attention to details on the crowd management/start/multiple-participant categories etc.

I'm sorry if I appear overly-critical but attention to details for such an event shouldn't be too much to expect, should it?

Anyway, Well done to everyone who took part yesterday - and thank God the rain held off ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Firstly, I'd like to echo previous sentiments - the race is for a great cause and the pre and post race carnival atmosphere was brilliant esp. for young children.

That said I have many of the same gripes as other posters:

- Race started 20 minutes late! There was no hooter or loud announcer to signify the race had started. I couldn't hear the announcements from the roadcaster from where I was standing (that's if any reason was given for the late start).

- I registered on the day and by the time I got to the desk they had run out of chips. This didn't particularly deter me as I paid my money anyway (as I said it's a very worthy cause) and was given a bib number and timed myself. However my gripe here is that I had to return to the registration desk a second time to be given a bib number. When they ran out of chips initially the consensus seemed to be - no chip, no run. Just glad I returned the second time!

- The poles in the road near the start were not very helpful .

- I think it was very dangerous for all the different abilities to be on the route at the same time - I'm thinking of strollers and runners bumping into each other on the loop. Perhaps the a wave system could be implemented for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 katvond

I agree with the previous posters. Brilliant cause. Awful organisation for all the previously listed reasons. In particular as I was sprinting toward the finish there were women with buggies and small children strolling along the width of the course and was very lucky not to collide (altho they seemed oblivious). To add to the disappointment my race time wasn't in the paper this morn despite correct wearing etc of the chip. Gutted as my own timer didn't work on the day. Also is red bull (only fluids furnished at the finish line) really the best thing for any race finisher whos heart is already pounding?!! I will donate to this cause again but wouldn't do this race again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lizzy260183

Well I took part in the 10k fun run yesterday it was my first race ive taken part in. I was delighted I was helping a worthy cause however there was a few things that should be looked at for next year.

Toilets were lacking we spend a half hour in a queue.

The delay in the starting which made the warm up pointless.

They should have had the road blocked off for the duration of the race and compleation of all participants as at one point nearly got hit by a car because the traffic was free flowing by the time I finished the 10k, bare in mind I finished the race in 1hr 30min. I know that isn't a professional time but however they shouldnt advertise a 10k race if the safety of the participants competing could be in danger. road restrictions were due to be in place from 2-4 according to the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Results available online anywhere?

As per comments above, getting a race number was a bit all over the shop. The start and finish were very dodgy. Saw some poor girl running full tilt into one of those small poles in the middle of the road at the start. Didn't see any water available at the race finish either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Bungolio

Results don't appear to be available anywhere online yet. Didn't manage to get the paper on Monday so its an annoying wait. Would love to know what the delay is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 QandA

I believe the results are supposed to be here but still not...nearly a week later?!

http://www.redtagtiming.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

QandA wrote: »
    I believe the results are supposed to be here but still not...nearly a week later?!

http://www.redtagtiming.com/
    I think it was www.chipit.ie who did the timing.

Advertisement