Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU upgrade dilema

Options
  • 03-04-2012 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭

Basically I'm look to upgrade from my 6870 CF set up to a card with more VRAM for BF3 and newer games and to give me multi monitor oomph in the future

As it stands Im unsure whether to go for a 7870 with a view to CF later,a single 580 1.5gb or one of the earlier gen cards like the 6950/70.

So far im leaning towards the 7870 as my 6870's have never let me down until BF3 with its hungry vram.

**Also,fair price for 2 sapphire 6870's,1 is the newer model,older one is the reference design?

Thanks
    Dan

***Spec as of now
    AMD Phenom II 1090T
    ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    Sapphire HD6870 1GB Crossfire
    8GB 1333MHz G.Skill RipJaw
    Hard Drive Seagate 500gb 1TB HDD OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD
    SATA DVD-RW
    Titan Fenrir Pro Evo CPU Cooler
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    1x 22" Wisdescreen / 24" Widescreen
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
    Corsair TX v2 750w
    Antec Dark Fleet DF30
    Microsoft Sidewinder X8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

7870 is the best bang for your money now. It's like 6870 back then m8. It's extremely huge power, but not as stupidly overpriced as 7970/7950 setups.

Keep in mind of you go single 7870 now, you will get a hit in performance, unless you plan to get second one very soon. 6870 is still a very beefy setup even by today's standards and still one of the best price/performance ratio.

I am very tempted to t replace my 570 to 680, but I just can't push myself to do a leap. When I think that 680 is actually more expencive them my car, which I use to go to work...

How soon you plan to g multy monitor setup? If not soon, maybe stick to your setup, untill you get more money to get a whole set?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

7870 is the best bang for your money now. It's like 6870 back then m8. It's extremely huge power, but not as stupidly overpriced as 7970/7950 setups.

Keep in mind of you go single 7870 now, you will get a hit in performance, unless you plan to get second one very soon. 6870 is still a very beefy setup even by today's standards and still one of the best price/performance ratio.

I am very tempted to t replace my 570 to 680, but I just can't push myself to do a leap. When I think that 680 is actually more expencive them my car, which I use to go to work...

How soon you plan to g multy monitor setup? If not soon, maybe stick to your setup, untill you get more money to get a whole set?

I'm after looking at a few reviews and im liking the look of the sapphire 7870,the XFX and gigabyte are a little better but seem to either run hotter,louder or priced accordingly with the gain in performance.

As for the hit in performance,the game I play is BF3,maybe skyrim or one of the others once every 2 weeks for a few hours,and while the 6870CF hammers other games it annoys me it can only run certain options on ultra due to lack of VRAM (stutter/freeze) and I can only see it happening more and more with the newer games coming out.

And I plan to go CF 7870 and multimonitor or join the catleap club with the 27" monitor

As for cost,my car cost me more than my GPU's so I think it deserves some attention:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'm after looking at a few reviews and im liking the look of the sapphire 7870,the XFX and gigabyte are a little better but seem to either run hotter,louder or priced accordingly with the gain in performance.

As for the hit in performance,the game I play is BF3,maybe skyrim or one of the others once every 2 weeks for a few hours,and while the 6870CF hammers other games it annoys me it can only run certain options on ultra due to lack of VRAM (stutter/freeze) and I can only see it happening more and more with the newer games coming out.

And I plan to go CF 7870 and multimonitor or join the catleap club with the 27" monitor

As for cost,my car cost me more than my GPU's so I think it deserves some attention:D
    i just bought 680, could not resist :o

finally did that step, so now i will be looking in to 4 monitor setup or catleap myself.

7870 does look like very very good m8. 2 of those will be better bargain then any single GPU card. you will be sorted for ages. one 7870 will play BF3 perfectly for now too. i pplay bf3 on gtx 570 all maxed out with motion blur off and AA down to 1. ( dont really see a need of AA on 1080p ) so on 64 player maps it dips down to 40 fps sometimes, but mostly just stays on 50fps on expansion maps, i am pretty sure on old maps it will run even better.
    so gtx 570 is slower then 7870, so you will be able to enjoy BF3 with no problems at all then.
    i guess you will be able to get 200eu for 2 of those, so 7870 will cost you 100eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

id take the 6870's for 200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 irishman1

As it stands Im unsure whether to go for a 7870 with a view to CF later,a single 580 1.5gb or one of the earlier gen cards like the 6950/70.

So far im leaning towards the 7870 as my 6870's have never let me down until BF3 with its hungry vram.

**Also,fair price for 2 sapphire 6870's,1 is the newer model,older one is the reference design?

• Advertisement

I'd be thinking more along the lines of 120 a piece,don't think I'd want to sell them for less.
    But apart from that,I'm going to wait for the 680's to drop in price or save up,until then my problem is solved so to speak,ill keep the 6870s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

hard pushed to get that price........140 new is some places

daz801 wrote: »
    hard pushed to get that price........140 new is some places

Germany is the only place i seen them below 150,where else sells them that cheap,brother might pick one up if he can find it at a decent price

Advertisement