Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I obliged to be on call at lunch

Options
  • 03-04-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a problem if there is an emergency I am being called on my lunch hour to come back. I have no just been told certain days I can't go home for lunch (which I usually do) as I can't get back in case of emergency. IS this right? My contract does not state I am on call.
    My hours I work were changed recently so I now work 1-2 hours more than anyone else, still on same salary, as they "discovered" I don't get paid for my lunch hour (apparently everyone else still does). This was changed only when lots of other people were let go and I was forced to make up more hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

what do you work at ??? I work in health care and on night shift I can not leave during my break unless its an emergency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

i'd go speak to a union - sound like their takin the p*ss with you

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nothing like healthcare. I say emergency in the loosest sense - i.e. I was once called when someone wanted to get their post out of their PAs office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

IMHO if your paid for your lunch break then yes you're fair game to be called in an emergency...
    As long as your allowed the time back as a rest period and it's actually an emergency... if it's some guy wondering where the stapler is you might have a case to complain...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That's the problem, my day was increased by an hour as they decided I don't get paid for my lunch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you're not paid for it, and you're back ready to restart work on time, you can do whatever you want with your lunch hour.
    the only exception would be if it was explicitly stated in your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If you're getting more than minimum wage it depends on your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

I have a problem if there is an emergency I am being called on my lunch hour to come back. I have no just been told certain days I can't go home for lunch (which I usually do) as I can't get back in case of emergency. IS this right? My contract does not state I am on call.
    My hours I work were changed recently so I now work 1-2 hours more than anyone else, still on same salary, as they "discovered" I don't get paid for my lunch hour (apparently everyone else still does). This was changed only when lots of other people were let go and I was forced to make up more hours.

Simple answer. Turn off your phone when you go out for lunch.
    "Oh, you called me. Must have been a bad signal where I was."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

No need to turn it off if you have a smatrtphone. Some have native individual call blocking, for others "theres an app for that"

Advertisement