Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need A New Router

Options
  • 03-04-2012 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My old reliable silver Eircom modem has finally packed it in, I'm now forced to use an extremely old 2005 model to stay on Xbox Live and the net in general. It's really slow and crappy so ultimately I need to buy a new one. Want one that's fully compatible with Xbox Live and is fast enough for HD streaming etc. I don't want to spend a fortune but am willing to spend a reasonable amount if it's worth it. I was looking at Belkin/Netgear ones in Argos but I have no idea if they're good with live or not. So if anyone has any recommendations based on the above, post them here and I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Hi all,

My old reliable silver Eircom modem has finally packed it in, I'm now forced to use an extremely old 2005 model to stay on Xbox Live and the net in general. It's really slow and crappy so ultimately I need to buy a new one. Want one that's fully compatible with Xbox Live and is fast enough for HD streaming etc. I don't want to spend a fortune but am willing to spend a reasonable amount if it's worth it. I was looking at Belkin/Netgear ones in Argos but I have no idea if they're good with live or not. So if anyone has any recommendations based on the above, post them here and I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Go for a Cisco/Linksys router, you won't go wrong. I use an E3000 and find it brilliant. Doesn't require ports to be opened even when I've four consoles connected to it! Also great for HD streaming and has dual frequencies for wifi. Great bit of kit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Go for a Cisco/Linksys router, you won't go wrong. I use an E3000 and find it brilliant. Doesn't require ports to be opened even when I've four consoles connected to it! Also great for HD streaming and has dual frequencies for wifi. Great bit of kit!

sorry for butting in,but im movin to ntl soon and they have a cisco router for free or another one that cost a fiver a moth.im not sure which to get.i have read that people have problems with the ntl router cuttin them off live but not sure which one it is?
    Any help??
    Thanks
    edit: i have 2xboxs and a ps 3 wired to router and laptops usin the wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I have the free one a few months and haven't been cut off that I've noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Do you recommend anywhere in particular to pick one up? Are they easy enough to configure should the need arise? Also I assume there is no problem ringing Eircom up to get the Access info to use one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Do you recommend anywhere in particular to pick one up? Are they easy enough to configure should the need arise? Also I assume there is no problem ringing Eircom up to get the Access info to use one of these?

I generally buy all my tech online. Here's the link to where I bought mine but have no idea if it's the cheapest place to get it, you'll have to look around.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/linksys-by-cisco-e3000-high-performance-wireless-n-dual-band-router--cable-broadband-connections--75S8.html?q=e3000&src=16

• Advertisement

I generally buy all my tech online. Here's the link to where I bought mine but have no idea if it's the cheapest place to get it, you'll have to look around.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/linksys-by-cisco-e3000-high-performance-wireless-n-dual-band-router--cable-broadband-connections--75S8.html?q=e3000&src=16

Cheers for the link, price isn't too bad. Only other thing is, looking at the pictures of the back of it, where does the phone line (DSL?) connect? All the ports look the same size where as all the modems I've used have a smaller port that goes to the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Cheers for the link, price isn't too bad. Only other thing is, looking at the pictures of the back of it, where does the phone line (DSL?) connect? All the ports look the same size where as all the modems I've used have a smaller port that goes to the wall.

Thats a cable bb router, like what we have for UPC, you are looking for a ADSL modem/router that has the RJ11 connection for the phone line.

The one in the link is very nice but has a lot of bells and whistles you can live without that add to the prices like the media sever function, As moose said Cisco / Linksys / Netgear are good brands but you will pay through the nose for Cisco usually.

Other stuff to look for is N or N+ standard for the wireless if streaming is needed but most new routers are 802.11N these days anyway.

Have you tried asking the provider for a replacement ?? Might be free or at least a cheaper way.

Oh yeah, you can ring Eircom for the settings, usually a user name / password and dns servers.

Slightly off topic ..... but relevant when I was up at home last week Vodafone called to the door and offered mum a package of phone / 8MB broadband for 40ish a month inc. line rental.

They had Vodafone BB there already but phone with eircom. Switched over to that deal and bye bye eircom and their line rental. The Broadband on it's own was costing 39.99 a month then what ever to eircom for line rental and calls. Worth looking in to. They would also likely give you a router :D

calex71 wrote: »
    Thats a cable bb router, like what we have for UPC, you are looking for a ADSL modem/router that has the RJ11 connection for the phone line.

Was thinking this may be the case, cheers.
    calex71 wrote:
    The one in the link is very nice but has a lot of bells and whistles you can live without that add to the prices like the media sever function, As moose said Cisco / Linksys / Netgear are good brands but you will pay through the nose for Cisco usually.

Other stuff to look for is N or N+ standard for the wireless if streaming is needed but most new routers are 802.11N these days anyway.

Yeah definitely going for fastest Wi-Fi possible, only device I use via Ethernet is Xbox but PS3 and PC etc are all wireless.
    calex71 wrote:
    Have you tried asking the provider for a replacement ?? Might be free or at least a cheaper way.

Eircom have recently changed their policy regarding this apparently, I had my first router replaced after my initial 12 month contract ended but now apparently, you either enter into another 12 month contract or pay €50 for a new one. So rather than do either of those options I'd rather get a top quality modem/router for the best price possible.
    calex71 wrote:
    Oh yeah, you can ring Eircom for the settings, usually a user name / password and dns servers.

Good stuff, I just log onto the router's home page to do this I assume?
    calex71 wrote:
    Slightly off topic ..... but relevant when I was up at home last week Vodafone called to the door and offered mum a package of phone / 8MB broadband for 40ish a month inc. line rental.

They had Vodafone BB there already but phone with eircom. Switched over to that deal and bye bye eircom and their line rental. The Broadband on it's own was costing 39.99 a month then what ever to eircom for line rental and calls. Worth looking in to. They would also likely give you a router :D

Happy enough with my current service, 8MB speed, unlimited download/upload, unlimited national any time calls. Not really interested in entering a contract with another company either, besides, they usually only offer the decent price for the first 6 months.

You know any good places to get the type of modem I need Calex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Contract is 6 of 1 really when you have to have the BB anyway, folks are looking at a saving of about 300 a year on the line rental they where forking out, the package they got included calls etc. I'm no fan of vodafone though but thats another story , just worth looking into if it will save you some pennies.

The thing about buying this stuff on line is the shipping costs, a lot of the time you have to go through the process of check out to see how much it will actually end up costing.

I've used Dab in the past no problems with them, Komplett too but not sure what they are like these days they used to be great then they turned to poo about 2 years ago no I don't know, but I recall them actaully having a pick up point in either santry or blanch??? (don't have time to check on my way for an exam :p ) but that could save you on shipping. Airside Retail Park is close to you there is it not? You could have a look in PC world or Harveys and check prices etc.

Advertisement