Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2 - Episode 2 **Have NOT Read The Books / No Spoilers Included**

• 03-04-2012 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭

Since HBO Go had episode two on last night, here's the thread for the non-book readers / not read beyond Book 1 of ASOIAF yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Another very good episode. So it was Joffrey who ordered all the babies killed,and he didn't even tell Cersei about it.

Tyrion is such a great character, love him starting to give orders and exiling baby killer guy (can't remember his name)

Stannis and his crazy religious lady look like they will be interesting, as well Theon and his father. I have a feeling he will betray Rob for his father. Also felling up your sister...not good,not good at all! :p

And then at the end, crazy wildling man is giving any sons he has to the White Walkers. Does he have a deal with them or something? They leave him alone in exchange for giving them babies?

Lot's of uncomfortable stuff with babies so far this season! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Are hbo go going to screen advance eps every week? Similar to the way E4 often do over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

First 2 episodes of the season were epic and its only going to get better and better... Things merely being set up at the moment...
    Tyrion, Jon, Arya and Dany are the best characters, but its a show that has no bad characters...
    Even Joffrey, who is a little sh*t, is brilliant, because he's the character I love to hate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

brilliant so far i have to say, fantastic acting all round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Things I loved
      Tyrion exiling the baby killer to the wall
      Tyrion teasing his sister over her relationship with Jaime and her not taking it very well at all, she knew right where to twist the knife in to pierce his usually unflappable facade.
      More Direwolvey goodness
      Loved the exchanges between Davos and the pirate Salador Sahn and Davos and his son.
      The Iron Island segments was pretty much perfectly realized for me with the exception of Yara/asha(in the book) not being anywhere near as attractive as she is described in the book , tbh she has an almost zombieish pallor. That said I loved her and theons entire exchange on the way to the pike, she has the IronBorn attitude down pat , that along with the fact that it may have been too to convince viewers that the ironborn would follow a woman if they had chosen a slighter and more attractive actress , may have gotten her the job.

Things I was less fond of
      I found the Roz scene in this ep every bit as pointless as the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Cersei again continues to be one of my favourite character. She's supposed to be this evil super bitch but you can empathise with her path to this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I do hope those dragons grow faster than the dire wolves. :p

There is only so much desert wandering I can take from that part of the story. The sooner they are big enough to roast a man alive......the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

That was a fantastic episode.

I thought it was interesting with Stannis the red head one, whatever her name is. With the drink in the last episode, the old fella dying(he did didn't he?), and this one telling Davos' son the perfect way to die is by fire, which Tyrion had said is how to kill the undead(at least I think thats what he called em), or else I'm just too tired and talking rubbish :pac:

Regardless, unreal. Episode flew by, disappointed at the end, well, cause it was over. Got me tempted to read on in CoK this week now to see what happens. You know a show is good when that happens.

On a negative note, 2 weeks until episode 3. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

was cool seeing Ghost with Jon Snow, was wondering why he wouldnt take a big feck off wolf out with them past the wall (I dont recall seeing it with them leaving at the end of season 1) the cgi on the wolves is pretty cool, was worried it would look fake but it looks like HBO have bumped up the budget, that big cgi cityscape when Tyrion was on the balcony looked good.

That was an epic confrontation between Tyrion and Cersei as well, especially her line about what happened their mother at the cost of him, the look on Dinklage's face was brilliant. She can be a right spiteful bitch but you do sympathise with her as well at times, she knows now that Joffrey is power mad and could have her killed on a whim if she disciplines him in public or questions his authority again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

krudler wrote: »
    that big cgi cityscape when Tyrion was on the balcony looked good.
    Sure that was CGI? Apparently they filmed a lot of the Kings Landing stuff in Dubrovnik, precisely because it would need so little CGI...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Utterly confused with the last scence

Someone taking an infant out into the woods, as you do when it's freezing cold and snowing

Jon Snow follows him, I'm not entirely sure what he saw and then he gets jumped and knocked out

One of the girls wouldn't answer directly about what happens the sons.

Is this like Sparta? Leaving infants outside to see if they are strong enough to survive?
    :eek: Did you miss the part where the White Walker takes the child? The freaky glowing blue eyes was a dead giveaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Time for mise to watch again, missed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What did Daenerys send out the brother guy to do before he came back
    With just a head
    ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Oranage2 wrote: »
    With just a head
    ?

To find out when the Red Waste ends and to scout for cities/lakes/rivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Utterly confused with the last scence

Someone taking an infant out into the woods, as you do when it's freezing cold and snowing

Jon Snow follows him, I'm not entirely sure what he saw and then he gets jumped and knocked out

One of the girls wouldn't answer directly about what happens the sons.

Is this like Sparta? Leaving infants outside to see if they are strong enough to survive?
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    With just a head
    ?

No offense guys but do you watch the show on fast forward or with no sound or something? Answers are pretty obvious just by watching the show. You don't have to have read the books. I certainly haven't. All the info is there in the show.

The male children are dangerous to him because they might grow up so obviously he doesn't keep them and just keeps the girls for more wives. And the reason he is the only wildling left is clearly because he leaves the boys to the White walkers so they let him live. You see one pick up the baby.

Daenerys sent three riders out in opposite directions to try and find food and shelter as they are dying in that wasteland. One of them came back without a head and it's suggested another Khal probably did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Anyone else think the lord of the iron islands going to side witht he lannisters and not the starks over what ned stark did to them before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Kirby wrote: »
    No offense guys but do you watch the show on fast forward or with no sound or something? Answers are pretty obvious just by watching the show. You don't have to have read the books. I certainly haven't. All the info is there in the show.

The male children are dangerous to him because they might grow up so obviously he doesn't keep them and just keeps the girls for more wives. And the reason he is the only wildling left is clearly because he leaves the boys to the White walkers so they let him live. You see one pick up the baby.

Daenerys sent three riders out in opposite directions to try and find food and shelter as they are dying in that wasteland. One of them came back without a head and it's suggested another Khal probably did it.

Sorry i was probably to preoccupied starring at her chest then to actually hear what she was saying/
    Anyone else think the lord of the iron islands going to side witht he lannisters and not the starks over what ned stark did to them before?

Yes certainly sounds like it, though the Lord did seem pretty adamant that his son didnt pay the Gold price.

There's also the 2 Baratheon boys who want to go to war as well as the Targaryen girl. I think the Lannisters can only offer him gold because they dont rule which seems what they're against though as we've seen money or a pair of girl's legs can make many men fall by their morals.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

was cool seeing Ghost with Jon Snow
    I wasn't sure about Grey Wind in the previous episode but Ghost looked absolutely amazing. Majestic animal! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Well he burned the offer from the Starks anyway. I got the impression his plan is to stay out of it, fortify his defences, then strike aggressively when the other factions were weakened from fighting each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

• The Iron Island segments was pretty much perfectly realized for me with the exception of Yara/asha(in the book) not being anywhere near as attractive as she is described in the book , tbh she has an almost zombieish pallor. That said I loved her and theons entire exchange on the way to the pike, she has the IronBorn attitude down pat , that along with the fact that it may have been too to convince viewers that the ironborn would follow a woman if they had chosen a slighter and more attractive actress , may have gotten her the job.
    Yeah, I always thought of Asha as more along these lines. But with less cleavage, and more sensible shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

What did Ned Stark do to them before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Cianos wrote: »

What did Ned Stark do to them before?

He crushed their rebellion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Was the rebellion against the Lannisters? If so they'd seem like a worse choice. Maybe this stuff will be revealed in future episodes.

Cianos wrote: »

Was the rebellion against the Lannisters? If so they'd seem like a worse choice. Maybe this stuff will be revealed in future episodes.

Rebellion was against Robert, Theon was taken hostage in Winterfell afterwards as security against another uprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

KerranJast wrote: »
    :eek: Did you miss the part where the White Walker takes the child? The freaky glowing blue eyes was a dead giveaway.

I need a better TV. I didn't get a good look at what it was. The freaky sounds it was making hinted at it though.

I don't get how you could miss all the talk suggesting that the old wildling gets rid of all the boy infants though. They first brought it up last episode, and this episode that's why the pregnant girl wanted to leave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A strong continuation of the season, with the second episode feeling like an extension of the first. One issue I had with the season opener was that we barely spent any time with the new arcs, particularly the one featuring Stannis, so last night's story gave us a good chance to see a bit more of that world. So even at this early stage, it's obvious that there's some major Lady MacBeth parallels going on; I feel Stannis is doomed from the outset. Then again, anyone even vaguely good or noble is a dead man/woman walking in this show anyway.

Seems like Rob Stark will soon have two fronts to fight - seems pretty clear the Iron Islands will war against the Starks & Balon will be coerced into leading the fight.

I have to be honest though - it would be nice if the open sexuality in this show wasn't so bloody crass sometimes, or the script didn't feel the need to punctuate scenes with some rough / slummy sex scenes. The one in the brothel was particularly needless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Is there a chance episode 3 will be on HBO GO tonight?

Doubt it to be honest. I'd say it was only on last week cause it was just a special for the season opener. That said, I don't know. Hopefully though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

naw they done that last season just the once, so id say it'll be the same this season,

loved the scene when theon found out he fingered his sister, the look on his face, priceless:D

i do hope deanarys isn't roaming the desert for long, as i really wanna see her story get going fast, i want to see them dragons tearing the place apart so bad,

i would love that table that stannis has in his chamber, i saw it on a video that its a proper scale map of westeros, the workmanship on it is savage, also that new studio doing the CGI are doing some fine job, wolfs, dragons and castles all look amazing, fair play to HBO for going all out on this show,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

don ramo wrote: »
    naw they done that last season just the once, so id say it'll be the same this season,

loved the scene when theon found out he fingered his sister, the look on his face, priceless:D

i do hope deanarys isn't roaming the desert for long, as i really wanna see her story get going fast, i want to see them dragons tearing the place apart so bad,

i would love that table that stannis has in his chamber, i saw it on a video that its a proper scale map of westeros, the workmanship on it is savage, also that new studio doing the CGI are doing some fine job, wolfs, dragons and castles all look amazing, fair play to HBO for going all out on this show,

I really didn't want to find myself saying this in a "haven't read the book thread " but I have to, "In the book" it was a lot worse :D

Edit: These threads are really entertaining reading as to what folks think will happen etc, the show would be a lot better in many ways had I not got the prior knowledge from the books, but in others so much easier to understand, found it really frustrating in part during season 1 to figure out what was going on and who was who, and from the first 2 shows of season 2 I'd say it's tricky in parts to keep up without the books ?????

I'm the same, but in one the preview videos for this season, she said this season was about their stuggle, struggle for food/water and that kinda thing IIRC, seemed to imply that it would be that for the whole season. I really hope not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

KerranJast wrote: »
    Cersei again continues to be one of my favourite character. She's supposed to be this evil super bitch but you can empathise with her path to this point.

She was never intended to be that. From her very introduction (being literally stripped bare and sold off by her brother) she's been a very sympathetic character. In no way was she meant to be portrayed as evil, and it's very clear she's the one who is truly born to the throne, both in lineage and in aptitude, she's a natural leader and genuinely cares for her subjects.

On another note, it's been very easy to follow the story without the books. I've checked out the map and interactive glossaries on HBO.com, but that's only because I want to know even more about the world.

Syferus wrote: »
    She was never intended to be that. From her very introduction (being literally stripped bare and sold off by her brother) she's been a very sympathetic character. In no way was she meant to be portrayed as evil, and it's very clear she's the one who is truly born to the throne, both in lineage and in aptitude, she's a natural leader and genuinely cares for her subjects.

On another note, it's been very easy to follow the story without the books. I've checked out the map and interactive glossaries on HBO.com, but that's only because I want to know even more about the world.

Think youve Dany & Cersei mixed up there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

ceegee wrote: »

I read that as Khaleesi for some reason..!

Cersei, though, is ruthless but not tyrannical. She wasn't willing to kill Nedd or indiscriminately murder children to kill potential heirs. She talks a tougher game than she's actually willing to act out. Her heart-to-heart (if you can call it that) with the King last season illuminated her the most, she was trapped into a political marriage with someone still in love with his dead wife and tried to make it work while all he did was drink, hunt and quite publically screw half the whores in King's Landing. It's going to be a bag of fun watching her, Joffery and Tyrion interact this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

ceegee wrote: »

Easy to do as Cersie is what could become of Dany if she gives in to bitterness and a desire for revenge.
    all the characters have a counterpoint and watching how they decide which way to go is what makes it so absorbing. That and the gratuitous nudity :D

• Advertisement

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Easy to do as Cersie is what could become of Dany if she gives in to bitterness and a desire for revenge.
    all the characters have a counterpoint and watching how they decide which way to go is what makes it so absorbing. That and the gratuitous nudity :D
    what gratuitous nudity, don't think we've since even a nipple outside of the whore house this season, and TBH i don't see any reason for deany to be getting naked this season, hope I'm wrong though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

what gratuitous nudity, don't think we've since even a nipple outside of the whore house this season, and TBH i don't see any reason for deany to be getting naked this season, hope I'm wrong though

You must have missed young Greyjohn and the wan he was ridin' on the boat over.

You must have missed young Greyjohn and the wan he was ridin' on the boat over.
    true, but there hasn't really been much nudity to mention this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

and all the gratuitous nudity in the whore house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Just wait til we get to quart and she wears the traditional dress, no that'll be gratuitous bewbage :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Just wait til we get to quart and she wears the traditional dress, no that'll be gratuitous bewbage :D

Not happening. They've 'adjusted' the fashion. Bastids, I was hoping it might catch on and start a craze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

s.welstead wrote: »
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »

Not happening. They've 'adjusted' the fashion. Bastids, I was hoping it might catch on and start a craze!
    Bugger I was looking forward to that

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

true, but there hasn't really been much nudity to mention this season
    You mean other than all the nudity in the whorehouse? Which also featured the 'classy' moment where Littlefinger wipes off some ... leavings ... from a whore's lips? The show finds new ways to be utterly crass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    You mean other than all the nudity in the whorehouse? Which also featured the 'classy' moment where Littlefinger wipes off some ... leavings ... from a whore's lips? The show finds new ways to be utterly crass.

I thought that was really funny

I thought that was really funny
    Meh, just at this stage could do without the random trashy sexytime. Even Rome didn't have this much pointless humping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

And then she goes to the next guy and kisses him!
    I wonder what the cheap whorehouses are like?

What's the name of the guy that recruits nights watch soilders? He's a legend!
    "This blade is so sharp it could shave a spiders arse"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I have to be honest though - it would be nice if the open sexuality in this show wasn't so bloody crass sometimes, or the script didn't feel the need to punctuate scenes with some rough / slummy sex scenes. The one in the brothel was particularly needles.

Yea.

Worst episode ever to watch in my parents' house having convinced them that "this series is actually brilliant; not childish at all."

Que the...
    "I see what you mean."
    And the eyebrows. And baffled sighing.

Woops! :D

Also, not appropriate viewing with a sibling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Yeah that was a bit over the top, I mean where did they think they were? In a whorehouse or something?

That entire scene was in no way crass or over the top, and it was a hugely telling insight into the kind of man Littlefinger is.

Even Theon's romping on the boat was necessary because it set up his hilarious interaction with Asha later in the episode.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Yeah that was a bit over the top, I mean where did they think they were? In a whorehouse or something?

That entire scene was in no way crass or over the top, and it was a hugely telling insight into the kind of man Littlefinger is.

Even Theon's romping on the boat was necessary because it set up his hilarious interaction with Asha later in the episode.

Littlefinger's speech, with its veiled threats, was the meat of that scene not the sex, or the trashy semen-wipe. Theon hitting up his sister didn't need the preamble of him fcuking some random ship-wench; the mistaken grope worked effectively on its own merits.

In fairness the show has not shirked from showing sex in a very rustic light and in some respects deserves praise for being so unabashed (plus I believe is only taking its cue from the novels); I would simply ask the fairly legitimate question of whether its needed in as many scenes as it turns up in. If it there's for shock value, then continual use only lessens the shock. I don't think it's there for allegorical purposes, and if it's simply arbitrarily present for the sake of it, then Martin's a sex-craved old perv ;)

That all said, on a purely technical level it does make me wonder how on earth the actors film those kind of scenes. With nothing left to the imagination & no camera tricks available to hide things, it must be hard to ... well... not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Littlefinger's speech, with its veiled threats, was the meat of that scene not the sex, or the trashy semen-wipe. Theon hitting up his sister didn't need the preamble of him fcuking some random ship-wench; the mistaken grope worked effectively on its own merits.

In fairness the show has not shirked from showing sex in a very rustic light and in some respects deserves praise for being so unabashed (plus I believe is only taking its cue from the novels); I would simply ask the fairly legitimate question of whether its needed in as many scenes as it turns up in. If it there's for shock value, then continual use only lessens the shock. I don't think it's there for allegorical purposes, and if it's simply arbitrarily present for the sake of it, then Martin's a sex-craved old perv ;)

That all said, on a purely technical level it does make me wonder how on earth the actors film those kind of scenes. With nothing left to the imagination & no camera tricks available to hide things, it must be hard to ... well... not be.

Actions speak louder than words. Same reason they actually showed the city guard going around killing off suspected Robert bastards. Showing the conditions of the women that Littlefinger exploits makes him seem even colder. The books have never held back on describing the darker parts of the characters and the world, and lust/sex is the second biggest instigator of events, second to only the iron throne. It's a means to power, so it needs to be shown.

Theon with the girl on the boat was him in full 'heir' mode, having what or who he wants and expecting them to comply and even enjoy it. It showed him exploiting his false sense of power, giving him even further to fall once he meets his father and sister. Having him just arrive normally on Pyke and start viciously groping the first girl he meets would have been too jarring.

The only sex scene I've had a problem with was the Melisandre/Stannis one, and that was purely because of the bad acting on Stannis' part. He's the one actor who has not hit his stride yet.

On another note, Davos (Liam Cunningham) has been amazing so far, and not just because he's a Dublin man :pac:

[edit]Martin is definitely a bit sex-crazed, some of the descriptions in the books are mental.

• Advertisement
Advertisement