Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the feeling on overhead power lines and health

Options
  • 03-04-2012 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

220kv line 30 metres above House,
    We are looking at a house, we like a lot, but are put off by power line

Pardon my ignorance, but is 220kv, the same as mains voltage , ie 220v

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

k123456 wrote: »

220kv is 1000 times 220v, or about 950 times the 230v nominal we have in a house. K is for kilo so its 220,000 volts.

In reality its actually 550 times the domestic voltage which is one phase and neutral from a 400v system, and the 220kv lines are 3 phases. But for all intents and ourposes you can say its nealy 1000 times higher.

The health aspect of it still seems to be a matter of debate. But it seems inconclusive. Most would probably be more concerned about the close up view of them near their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

Are the lines directly above the house or to one side?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

These arent the new pylons and overhead power lines that have just gone up on either side of the M1 motorway around the Balbriggan turn off??

What an eye sore indeed.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

30m above House, Kilmacanogue area

Nice house, but my GF is concerned about the overheads

30m above House, Kilmacanogue area

Nice house, but my GF is concerned about the overheads

Thats a problem with any house tell her:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I remember being at a talk given by an expert in the area a few years back.
    From large overhead pylons, a distance of ~200m gives the same magnetic field intensity as the domestic wiring in a normal house was what was said.
    That's not to say closer is necessarily more dangerous (the jury is still out on the actual effects), but the exposure would be higher inside 200m than that of everyday living away from hv overhead lines.

Edit: I see you are still looking at the house OP. Personally, I would definitely avoid. While no direct link is proven, I think cancer rates tend to be higher amongst people who live in close to power lines.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Magnetic field intensity due to a long straight wire falls off as 1/r, where r is the distance. It's also proportional to the current flowing. You will probably find that the electromagnetic radiation in your house is stronger than that due to the pylon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I think, if memory serves me correctly) the field will fall off at 1/(r x r), so the field will decay very quickly. IE double the distance will quarter the field. But 30m is still very close.

It would want to be quite cheap cause not many people want to live under an overhead hv line, so resale will be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, how old is the house?
    I did'nt think that you would get PP for a house directly under a hv line, and that the old lines avoided going over houses. Open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

The house is 1920, recently fully renovated, the wires run over an extension, constructed 4 yrs ago, HQ workmanship, no expense spared

• Advertisement

I think, if memory serves me correctly) the field will fall off at 1/(r x r), so the field will decay very quickly. IE double the distance will quarter the field. But 30m is still very close.
    Curiosity got the better of me, so I had a quick look back on this. RedAlert is right - for a long straight wire, it falls off at r. It's r x r for a point charge.

cast_iron wrote: »
    Curiosity got the better of me, so I had a quick look back on this. RedAlert is right - for a long straight wire, it falls off at r. It's r x r for a point charge.

For a straight line to infinity, its 1/r alright. For a point, such as a radio transmitter, its a quarter the strength, for double the distance. Or 1/(rxr)

Most of the field is cancelled out in a circuit though. If it was 1 phase on its own, it would be far higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I remember reading about local residents protesting about the ESB pylons in North Clondalkin,and them stating that 37 people living in the vicinity of the pylons had contracted some form of cancer or another.Of course there was no definite proof that the power lines had caused the cancer,but if it was me I wouldn't take the risk of living close to one just in case.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    For a straight line to infinity, its 1/r alright. For a point, such as a radio transmitter, its a quarter the strength, for double the distance. Or 1/(rxr)

Most of the field is cancelled out in a circuit though. If it was 1 phase on its own, it would be far higher.
    I'm guessing it's a 3 phase over head line in the OP, so the fall off would be relative to 1/r. Indeed I meant 1 over both examples.
    All of which is irrelevant really as both r and B (the field) are fixed in this case. Sorry OP.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

OP you asked what are the feelings. For sure there are a lot of feelings on the subject, but I dunno if there's any substantial, factual evidence that power lines are bad for you. A bit of online research will help.

Hey you could maybe put a big inductive loop in the attic and harvest some power for yourself.

But me - I would be lying in bed a night wondering if my brains/nadjers are getting slowly cooked...:eek:

cast_iron wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's a 3 phase over head line in the OP, so the fall off would be relative to 1/r. Indeed I meant 1 over both examples.
    All of which is irrelevant really as both r and B (the field) are fixed in this case. Sorry OP.:D

I knew you meant 1/r, i was not even looking at that. Just confirming it was indeed a single r for a long straight line:)

Advertisement