Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotmail on Apple Device -

• 03-04-2012 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, I got an Iphone in November last year, I use hotmail and so I tried to sync hotmail with mail app that comes on the Iphone. This took a few attempts but eventually worked. Then I started to notice that if I read a mail on my phone it would be listed as unread if I acessed it via an internet browser (either via safari on the phone and computer or internet exploer on work computer) and vice versa. One day I noticed my opened emails (3000 or so) had been moved to a POP folder, I selected all and moved bacj to my inbox. This happened a couple of times and freaked me out. So then I decided to inactivate the mail app and just use an internet browser for email. I then searched my mail for an old password one day and to my horror it was gone. I dug a little deeper and discovered all incoming mail prior to November 2011 was gone. Does this mean it is gone forever? Or are my emails floating around in cyberspace somewhere? I never actually deleted anything? All my outgoing mail is still there. I'm worried about this as there are old passwords, bank stuff, college stuff etc now missing! Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

moved from Feedback.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hi, I got an Iphone in November last year, I use hotmail and so I tried to sync hotmail with mail app that comes on the Iphone. This took a few attempts but eventually worked. Then I started to notice that if I read a mail on my phone it would be listed as unread if I acessed it via an internet browser (either via safari on the phone and computer or internet exploer on work computer) and vice versa.
    That's how IMAP should work. It syncs read/deleted email across your devices and with the server.
    One day I noticed my opened emails (3000 or so) had been moved to a POP folder, I selected all and moved bacj to my inbox. This happened a couple of times and freaked me out. So then I decided to inactivate the mail app and just use an internet browser for email. I then searched my mail for an old password one day and to my horror it was gone. I dug a little deeper and discovered all incoming mail prior to November 2011 was gone. Does this mean it is gone forever? Or are my emails floating around in cyberspace somewhere? I never actually deleted anything? All my outgoing mail is still there. I'm worried about this as there are old passwords, bank stuff, college stuff etc now missing! Any ideas?

I'm not sure what happened here. Possibly a problem with Hotmail. I think they automatically delete old mail in your inbox after a while.

However, you really shouldn't be storing old passwords and important data in your email inbox. Email accounts are easily hacked and somebody would then have access to all your personal data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Laurel67000

That's how IMAP should work. It syncs read/deleted email across your devices and with the server.

I'm not sure what happened here. Possibly a problem with Hotmail. I think they automatically delete old mail in your inbox after a while.

However, you really shouldn't be storing old passwords and important data in your email inbox. Email accounts are easily hacked and somebody would then have access to all your personal data.

I have emails there since 2008 when I set up the account. I never changed any settings to say they could be deleted after a certain amount of time. It's annoying to have them for years then they dissappear. I think the problem started when they went into that POP folder and they must have gone there and be deleted from that rather than the inbox. Do you know if there is anyway of getting them back or contacting hotmail?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Laurel67000

That only brought back about 100 mails. Anyways, thanks! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement