Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter break how much study to do ?

Options
  • 03-04-2012 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Over the leaving cert Easter break how many hours of sudy should would aim at per day ?

Is this a time to relax or mainly just study ?

Any advise would be great!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

EDmon wrote: »
    Over the leaving cert Easter break how many hours of sudy should would aim at per day ?

Is this a time to relax or mainly just study ?

Any advise would be great!

Thanks.
    I did 6 hours yesterday, hoping to do 7/8 today. Only have 1.5 hours done so far so i'll let you know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I planned to do 5 hours yesterday but I only did about 3 overall. Hoping to stick to the 5 from today on, but it's so hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

Yes the work seems endless! I generally start the day a bit too optimistic as to how much I can get done!

I've tried 4 hour blocks, what kind of 'routine' have you guys been doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Definitely make sure to use these two weeks to study, I made this mistake last year not doing as much as I should've.
    I aim to get 6 hours and sometimes do extra if I'm not tired.
    I have a list of things to get done generally I try and do 2 questions of an exam paper in an hour. I have a timetable but not followed it properly I just use it if I get stuck on something and to keep everything timed really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Getting 6-10 done so far...but today is such a fail so far. Only 30 minutes :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I got 8 hours done yesterday, here's what my timetable looked like:
    12:30-2:30 Bio
    2:30-3:00 Break
    3:00-5:00 Physics
    5:00-5:30 Break
    6:00-8:00 English
    8:00-8:30 Break
    8:30-10:30 Maths
    I was pretty tired at the end of it but it was worth it! Admittedly I didn't get 8 effective hours out of it, because of dragging my feet and stuff, but I got about 6 hours proper good studying done. I'm only starting now for today and I'll need to be going until half past eleven to get my 8 hours done :mad: I suppose that's what I get for sleeping in until 12 o'clock instead of doing it early and getting it ou tof the way! My advice to you would be to take your weekends off and work hard during the week. That's what I'm doing, and it's working pretty well so far! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Definitely use this break to study :D I am doing about 8 hours a day so hopefully will pay off...
    My timetable is similar to DwellingDweller's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

4 hours both Monday and today. Not a lot compared to most people here but after 4 hours I really feel that I'm not gaining anything while studying so why torture myself aimlessly?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Study in library from 10am until 12pm
    Have Institute Revision Course from 1pm - 2:30pm
    Go back to library to study from 3pm - 6pm

AND THEN I GO HOME AND EAT GLORIOUSLY CALORIFIC FOOD AND DO NOTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Went out Saturday, slept/was hungover most of Sunday, spent all of Monday with my boyfriend, did about an hour of study today.

From tomorrow I will hopefully get a lot done. I've just been chilling so far. :P I don't really have a definite plan, I just know I want to focus on Irish, German, physics and chemistry over these two weeks. I'll try to study for a few hours almost every day from now on.

I know I need to study but I'm not the type to be masochistic about it either. :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

This is ridiculous people saying they are studying for ten hours a day. Its ridiculous simply because you cant measure what you study in hours. I can guarentee these people are wasting their time. You make a list and once you have completed a topic you tick it off. People who say they are studying for these long spells are only effectivley studying for half of that time. Its about quality not quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm doing an exam paper per day, minimum. Today I did an English paper one and half of a paper two. Yesterday was two French papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

i only brought home irish and french books :/
    well... I plan on studying some Irish other than oral but really, I need to focus on Oral over anything else. when the orals are over i have art practicals, THEN its full steam on study for me! So when i start this craic, it'll be two hours a day :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I got four hours done over the last two days and had the weekend off (unintentionally). :P

I'm going to try and get four done today and then four or five every other day of the break, taking either the Saturdays or the Sundays off. :) I'm actually wrecked after three hours of work though so I'll stop there if I think it's pointless doing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Have four hours done so far.. Gonna tidy my study now and go to maths grinds at half four. When I get home hopefully I'll do like 2 hours of History. The fun just never ends :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm doing a subject a day this week and its varied from 6-8 hours. Next week I'm not doing as much though, I'm wrecked already!

A lot of you seem to be doing over 8 hours study! I generally can't force myself to go past 8pm so I guess I should just get up earlier to get more done. I think the suggestions of counting and planning chapters done rather than time may be good!

But would it be advisable to start purely concentrating on oral work rather than written exams. I have orals the first 2 weeks we get back as I'm sure most of you will have.

Do you think it'd be a good idea to just work on oral ?

Study in library from 10am until 12pm

Go back to library to study from 3pm - 6pm

NOTHING

I intended to go to my local library although, have been warned by many people that library study areas are impossible to get a seat in as so many study will be there, with limited seating!

Have you found this problem whilst studying at the library ?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

A lot of you seem to be doing over 8 hours study! I generally can't force myself to go past 8pm so I guess I should just get up earlier to get more done. I think the suggestions of counting and planning chapters done rather than time may be good!

But would it be advisable to start purely concentrating on oral work rather than written exams. I have orals the first 2 weeks we get back as I'm sure most of you will have.

Im hopefully going to be doing 2-3 hours a night on Irish and French Oral next week and also practice for my Music Practical. Focusing this week on written stuff. I find I can't stick to a timetable so I just wrote out a list of what I want to get done before the breaks over and am just putting the head down and doing it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jameseyf

Wake up at 6.30am
    7am - 8am go for a run or a swim
    then head into the library
    10am - 1pm Study 3 subjects
    1pm - 2pm Lunch
    2pm - 5pm Study 3 subjects
    Then have some dinner and head to the gym

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Lausie93

On Sunday i did about 6 hours, went to a maths revision course for 3 hours Monday, Wrote an english essay Tuesday and did some irish and chemistry revision Wednesday.

Im a highly skilled procrastinator, think the only proper way for me to get study done is get up early and get it out of the way in the morning! Plan to do around 6ish hours of work a day from now, focusing more on what i get done than how many hours! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't think so. This holiday is the last big solid break we have and I've gotten a lot of work done in all my written subjects. I'm doing oral next week but not a huge amount. I think you'd have wasted this break if you only did oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

8 hours is seriously excessive lads.. you'll be absolutely burned out when it comes around to the weeks before the lc! I think a quality 4-5 hours is more than enough! That being said I am really struggling.. neither school study nor being at home suit me, I just can't find the determination everything keeps being put off, I get distracted and lose concentration so easily, I'm about 3 days behind on my study timetable :(
    Think I might try out the library myself tomorrow! Or will it be closed for good Friday??
    Doing oral work for last 3-4 days next week

Any tips for me guys on how you find you study best

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

jmclee wrote: »
    8 hours is seriously excessive lads.. you'll be absolutely burned out when it comes around to the weeks before the lc! I think a quality 4-5 hours is more than enough! That being said I am really struggling.. neither school study nor being at home suit me, I just can't find the determination everything keeps being put off, I get distracted and lose concentration so easily, I'm about 3 days behind on my study timetable :(
    Think I might try out the library myself tomorrow! Or will it be closed for good Friday??
    Doing oral work for last 3-4 days next week

Any tips for me guys on how you find you study best

What I do is I mimic my school timetable. So basically I start at 9 finish at 4 and I have my 11 o'clock and 1 o clock lunch break in that. So ultimately its a school day, but at home. I study one subject from 9-11, another from 11.15-13:00 and then a different from 14:00-16:00. So thats 3 subjects per day. I also ensure that I am doing at least one oral subject per day and not two because that will just completely mess with your head! So I would definately advise you to copy your school routine. The day flys, and by 4 o clock your done for the rest of the day. Its roughly around 5 hours study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

jameseyf wrote: »
    Wake up at 6.30am
    7am - 8am go for a run or a swim
    then head into the library
    10am - 1pm Study 3 subjects
    1pm - 2pm Lunch
    2pm - 5pm Study 3 subjects
    Then have some dinner and head to the gym

CRUCIAL You sir, unlike many others, have not forgotten about building and maintaining that 6th year holiday body. Respect

CRUCIAL You sir, unlike many others, have not forgotten about building and maintaining that 6th year holiday body. Respect
    Been working on mine all year. The key is to eat all the carbs and watch yourself gradually go up a few dress sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

It's all about the Leaving Cert Layer

ps this this thread is making me lose the will to live

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lausie93

Planned on getting up at 6 this morning to have my study done by 12 but shur i got up at ten and still haven't started. I don't want to study but if i don't ill feel guilty, INNER TURMOOOOILLLL!

As for the oral, im pretty fecked anywaayy, was gonna do about 2 hours everyday next week doing oral, dif one each day ??

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

lol @ anyone doing less than 12 hours a day of study.

Let me rephrase that actually:
    lol @ anyone thinking of getting anywhere near 625 without 20 hours a day study.

Sleeping anywhere near 8 hours a day means you've failed the leaving cert already.
    There is no time to sleep, simple as that. Any recreation or social engagements MUST BE SET ASIDE FOR THIS YEAR. If you've talked to your family at all, you're getting straight Fs.

• Advertisement

reznov wrote: »
    lol @ anyone doing less than 12 hours a day of study.

Let me rephrase that actually:
    lol @ anyone thinking of getting anywhere near 625 without 20 hours a day study.

Sleeping anywhere near 8 hours a day means you've failed the leaving cert already.
    There is no time to sleep, simple as that. Any recreation or social engagements MUST BE SET ASIDE FOR THIS YEAR. If you've talked to your family at all, you're getting straight Fs.
    I love you.

Advertisement