Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this tent a good bargain

Options
  • 03-04-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I have this tent reserved in Halfords until this evening. I have it reserved for €148.00 with an online 10% discount. It will be used for a family of four's first camping outing on a weekend festival in summer.

Just wondering is this a good bargain or false economy. Particularly the fact that the sides don't seem to go right down to the ground and that the base is not sewn in.

Can anyone recommend a better family tent deal or do you think this tent is adequate?

http://tinyurl.com/bpmp5xz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

I brought the same tent 2 years ago, I only used it once until it was stolen before EP last year. The only problem I had with the tent was the ground sheet didn't attach to the tent which left gap in the middle section of the tent. Also the tent wasn't as waterproof as expected and the instructions are not the best.

Also the sleeping bags are not the best quality.

Would I buy the tent again, yes as it is good value for money because of the amount off stuff you get for 150 notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

Halfords do this every year:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61159354
    Tent looks good but I'd confirm the mattresses fit in - the "bedroom" sections in those can be fairly small.
    As regards it being worth the outlay - it is for a good tent, but going on what Matches says, if it's not fully waterproof, don't be planning any weeklong trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

A tent thats not entirely waterproof??? WTF is the point of that!

If you intend to use it more than once or twice i wouldn't bother. I watched a gang of girls trying to erect a halfords tent last year and it was the flimsiest tent i'd ever seen. Seriously you could spit through it. You will be frozen too if the base isnt connected to the main body. Im not sure if you are bringing kids with you but if its going to be something you intend to do regularly i'd recommend buying a proper quality tent like a vango.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VANGO-MIDAS-400-SURF-BLUE-2011-MODEL-FANTASTIC-PRICE-/380423989237?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item58930967f5

These tents are expensive but will last for years if properly cared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bejaysus

Thanks for the reply's. Newwifey your dead right WTF is the the point in a tent that's not waterproof and I really like the look of that Vango tent which isn't that expensive considering the make.

To be honest I've seen some bad reviews on those Halfords tents and Halfords quality in general but as usual my wallet was doing the thinking. I think camping is one area where you can really regret not making the proper investment.

I have a two girls 5 and 2 years old and I think we might go camping every year a so I think I will invest in a good decent tent and accessories. Hopefully our first camping outing will be a success and we don't kill each other in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I went in to buy that one a couple of years ago, but the sleeping bags that came with were very light and flimsy.
    Bought this one instead:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_745439_langId_-1_categoryId_236916
    I'd highly recommend it.

-edit- link won't go to the right product, its the urban escape 4 man tent pack.

Yeah keizer surprisingly that Lidl tent seems to be really good with a hydrostatic head of 3,000mm!

Anyone with any experience of buying a tent from Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

bejaysus wrote: »
    Yeah keizer surprisingly that Lidl tent seems to be really good with a hydrostatic head of 3,000mm!

Anyone with any experience of buying a tent from Lidl?

I only realised that now.

From Wikipedia:

Rain resistance is measured and expressed as hydrostatic head in millimetres (mm). This indicates the pressure of water needed to penetrate a fabric. Heavy or wind-driven rain has a higher pressure than light rain. Standing on a groundsheet increases the pressure on any water underneath. Fabric with a hydrostatic head rating of 1000 mm or less is best regarded as shower resistant, with 1500 mm being usually suitable for summer camping. Tents for year-round use generally have at least 2000 mm; expedition tents intended for extreme conditions are often rated at 3000 mm. Where quoted, groundsheets may be rated for 5000 mm or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Had that tent for oxegen 2 years ago the year it rained constantly up until the Sunday from which I got sunburned (just in time for eminem) and we had no problem with leaks.

Good tent, beds are fine didn't deflate or anything and do fit in the rooms, the gaps between the tent and ground sheet in the 'living area' weren't really a problem at all. Ground sheet does get filthy tho, we put it up in about 20 minutes in the rain.

I'd buy it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Lidl one is definitely a better option in every regard and 3 year guarantee. in comparing I wouldn't count the value of those halfords sleeping bags they're rubbish - I've gone through *lots* of sleeping bags anything under €20 is junk and anything under €40-€50 is never up to much and the filling migrates/clumps after a season or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I wonder is the groundsheet connected to the walls in the lidl one?

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I wonder is the groundsheet connected to the walls in the lidl one?

That's what I was wondering, when you zoom in on the picture it doesn't look like they are connected but maybe that's just the outer layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes the Lidl one has a sewn-in groundsheet, in the bedroom section. Usually in those large dome tents, the mid-way or living area has a seperate groundsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

keizer wrote: »

I note this one:
    Folds away
    which is a handy feature for a tent.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I note this one:

which is a handy feature for a tent.... :D

just dont bank on carrying it too far from your car judging by the size of it, and get 3 season sleeping bags at least with some kind of insulating mat/matress between body and ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Anyone tried the hiking 2-man tent from lidl today ? For e20 I was considering it for a festival or two over the summer. Really light too, less than 2KG packed. Packaging states hydrostatic head of 2,000mm

c - 13 wrote: »
    Anyone tried the hiking 2-man tent from lidl today ? For e20 I was considering it for a festival or two over the summer. Really light too, less than 2KG packed. Packaging states hydrostatic head of 2,000mm
    Size: 120 x 90 x 220cm
    small tent at that 120cm = 4 foot, 2 foot each so where do you put your personal effects since there is no porch unless you use by yourself, but yes its would be easy to carry at that but i think it said 3000mm hydro head which is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

waterboy15 wrote: »
    Size: 120 x 90 x 220cm
    small tent at that 120cm = 4 foot, 2 foot each so where do you put your personal effects since there is no porch unless you use by yourself, but yes its would be easy to carry at that but i think it said 3000mm hydro head which is even better.

Ah yeah, it would only be for myself alright so could dump stuff inside as well. Definitely 2000mm though - have the packaging here - I think the big tent is 3000.

I decided to chance it - weather should be fair anyway and at e20 if it sucks ill just bin it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Saw this in BA http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77968443&postcount=1344

A handy tip is to get a can of waterproofing spray in any hardware store and spray the tent.It's invisible & very handy. http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=16

dont forget to erect tent in back garden at least once before you need to use it and a couple of six inch nails for hard ground pegs.Those pop up tents are single skin at that price and no good for rainy weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭uponthegad

c - 13 wrote: »

I bought this one this morning and set it up in the garden... it's going back!

+ it's small and light

- there is no inner, it's just a single piece.
    - the ground "sheet" is the same material as the rest of the tent so you will be cold and damp or your ground mat will be damp.
    - high humiliation potential as it's a bit of a b*stard to put up.. making the seasoned camper look like a fool as he tries to impress/help the gang of cute girls get set-up their first festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Handy stuff for your tents and clothing, http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_21432.htm

Product_detail_Wk16T22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dendof

Was looking at this one in Lidl:

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_20212.htm

Also spotted this in Argos:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3401895/Trail/searchtext%3EPOP+UP.htm

I'd be using it for maybe one or two camping trips and probably Electric Picnic aswell. Are these tents OK for two people? Anything I've bought in Lidl I've been happy with and would prob go for their one over the Regatta as it 'looks' better and rated at 3000mm.

Would like some advice though if I'm making a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

The Regatta tent looks very light, could be cold in there

Those pop up tents are single skin so if you touch off it when wet you will get soaked, they fold up into a large circle about 2 1/2 foot, i got one for the kids last summer for playing out in back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

Can anyone recommend a inexpensive, easy to erect, small tent which would be suitable for outdoor camping with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Youthifulgirl

Hi I bought an urban escape tent in Halfords last week for €189. the guy in the shop said it was one of their best 2000mm waterproof. So off we went this bank holiday weekend. Last night was unbelievable. We first thought it was condensation, it was rolling down the insides. Then as the night progressed we noticed a couple of water puddles in the middle. By morning it was starting to drip onto our mattresses and as the wind blew and shook the tent you were lightly sprayed with the water on the inside of the roof. We came home today. What I am wondering is has the tent I bought with 2000mm waterproof guarantee done ok considering conditions last night. Or a leak is a leak and for €189 I should not have small puddles, damp clothes, and water spray? Any advice or help much appreciated.

Advertisement