Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rawhide Chew Bones (Please Read)

Options
  • 03-04-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

31f1WTxlDDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

you wouldn't think this could do much harm :(.

Yesterday i lost my much loved terrier that was part of the family for 12 years , i thought yesterday i'd give him a nice treat to keep him happy for a while, he spent most of the day chewing away at it happy as could be holding it between his paws , and yesterday evening to my horror my dad went out to clean out his pen and found him laying in the very same spot where i seen him an hour before chewing on the rawhide bone , he had choked on a bit of the rawhide , i am gutted about it , he was a real good terrier too great nose and great hunter he will be missed . So please be careful what you give your dog and don't make the same mistake i did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sorry to hear about your Dog.
    Its tough losing a good animal.
    Thanks for the heads up, I sometimes give the rawhide ones that are pressed into a bone shape not the knotted ones.
    I might just give the dried sinews from Lidl now.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

My terrier nearly choked on a piece of one of them last year. I had to hold him down,open his mouth, and herself had to carefully fish it out with the forceps from my tackle box! All he's had since a big raw hunks of beef bone and he loves them. A hell of a lot safer IMO. I'm really sorry to hear about your dog, and I hope that if you do get another you'll have at least another twelve happy years with it. We'd be lost without our little antichrist of a terrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Sorry to hear about your dog.
    We have our fellow for three years now and he would eat anything, but we told not to give them raw hide or bones if they are left unattended. I know this could spark a load of 'thats nonsense repiles' but too many dog owners I know have at least one 'choking' or 'something lodged in the throat' story to tell. Be aware

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Very true. Just bear in find that yet can't watch them all the time and that they are curious little hoors. Also, the are,as nature intended, pretty much pure carnivores and were eating raw meat and chewing bones long before we domesticated them and started feeding them dog food with vegetables in it. The main danger is cooked bones, not just chicken but beef and others too, as they all get brittle after cooking. My mates labrador used to eat whole fresh chickens! Not a scrap left! The raw bones,even though it may not seem so, are much softer,well, to a dogs jaws anyway. But to play it safe, you're right, be that bit extra careful and your pooch should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭driftkingire

sorry to hear that,i wont be getting any of them in the near future!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Sorry to hear about your dog. There is another good dog out there with your name on it.

I give them raw knuckle or femur (marrow) bones sawn into 2"+ pieces from the butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

God that's horrible deer hunter. Sorry to hear of your loss :(

Thanks for sharing the info will go back to the good ole butcher bones from here on in I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Oh man sorry to hear this I've also bought these as treats, think I skip them in future, again sorry to hear this, it's sad day any of us shooters loose our true shooting buddies our dogs.

Advertisement