Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iconography

Options
  • 03-04-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Coming from the ongoing discussion about street photography, it is worth thinking about how some images become icons of a society or culture, often due to subtle manipulation in image-making by artists and journalists.

I have a photo of a person begging on the new Samuel Beckett Bridge that could be an image straight out of Beckett's work. I don't upload it as I find it trite and far too close to cliché.

One aspect of contemporary obsession that I've noticed is the desire to record urban disintegration and abandoned places.

Icons of our times?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think it is Great, that photography can move social good.

I also think there is a thin line which is often crossed. Not everyone the world over has the same values system. Indeed even within nations this is also the case.

There are great photographic icons - those which depict joy, sadness, beauty, rage, new life and death, real life and the absurd. We are better to have them than not. But if considering consistency, a great icon to some may not be great to others.

Advertisement