Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armbands or Floaties ?

Options
  • 03-04-2012 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi there,

Heading away with my 15 month old on holidays and wondered what is the best option for the pool. I have heard that the floaties can be dangerous but am unsure as to how exactly. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

I used to be a lifeguard and hate the floatie rings!! I've pulled a few babies/ toddlers from the water as they have leaned forward in the ring and toppled upside down...getting stuck face under water. Arm bands are alot safer...but make sure they fit and are not too big. Enjoy the holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I used to be a lifeguard and hate the floatie rings!! I've pulled a few babies/ toddlers from the water as they have leaned forward in the ring and toppled upside down...getting stuck face under water. !

Me too. I don't like armbands either, they encourage an upright position unlike what you need for learning to swim. I also feel they restrict mobility of the arms. I would go with a lifejacket, my son is 15 months also and this is the one we use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My nieces were recommended to get the swimfins by their swimming instructor. Body position is better than armbands they say.

http://www.swimfin.co.uk/

If you go with the rings, make sure you are in the water beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I used one of the rings with a seat for a short time when my daughter was about 6 months and again on holidays when she was 8 months, holding on to it the whole time, I would not let her float around on it herself. To be honest though she didn't really like it that much and preferred being in the water with me holding her. I wouldn't use it with a child older than 9 months because at that age they could easily toppler out the front while leaning to splash as has been said above.

I tried her with armbands when she was around 14 months - she screamed and hated them. Tried again last week and she was fine but I didn't really feel happy with her in them as they were pulling her arms up too high, despite being small toddler sized arm bands.

I have gotten her a swim jacket just the other day, similar to the one lonestargirl posted above. I will be trying it out this week so will let you know how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I tried all three and found the swim jacket best for a 15 month old. The seat was fine but when she got tired she leaned over in it. Rings are banned in the pool. The arm bands were ok but her mouth was nearly under water. She had a suit with floats in it but it was too big so she was floating in it! The jacket needs to be tight fitting though, so dont go by the sizes written on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

Used armbands with my fella, but found the only ones that really worked are the Zoggs Roll Ups as they are inflated all around.

I buy them from here, they do free shipping,
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zoggs-zoggy-roll-ups/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I found the swim jackets a nightmare and the arm bands the best bet.

Advertisement