Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account debited but no cash dispensed from ATM

Options
  • 03-04-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭

So, it is not a first time actually, but this time i am short of 400E, and feel like i am being taken for a ride by my own bank. Went to an ATM on Friday to get cash, that was supposed to go towards rent for this month. Pin ok, choose to withdraw 400E, and after minute of silence card comes out, and message: Your transaction has been cancelled. As it is not first time, i didn't even try again. Previously the money were back overnight, so called my bank, and they confirmed. I have called my landlord and explained that I will pay on Saturday, he just told me to pay it into their account on Monday.
    Saturday - money are not back... Fortunately, as i am with Ulster, they are opened on Saturday. Got into branch, explained everything, and was told that money should be back by Monday, but if not they will accept my claim and follow it, and that can take, Ladies and Gentleman - up to 2 weeks!!! Was also told to next time use Ulster Bank atm, which will speed the process up! Well, i would it there was one where i live...
    They also told they will call me back to confirm what happened, but they did not, of course. They are claiming there is nothing wrong with the card, and that it happens, from time to time...
    Didnt feel comfortable at all to call landlord again, and - even if what i was saying was completely true, i felt it may sound dodgy. I called anyway, and agreed to pay next Friday.
    Have any of you had the same problem, or is it just my luck.
    This happened to me 5 times within about 18 month. I already lost 70 Euro when atm in Spain did it to me, i just noticed it to late, and didn't bother, but money are tight at this moment, and i really feel the banks should offer more help in cases like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Unfortunately there isn't much more they can do. If the machine doesn't auto correct the error it has to be chased up with the other bank and that can take time. It sucks - but I'd rather my bank give me a realistic estimate of the timeframe involved and no some comforting bs and be left waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Well, had a call from my bank later this afternoon, they are in the process of sorting this out for me, as the money are not back. I was also told, that in last months the claim process speeded up a bit and i may expect it within a week...well I hope. Glad they called, so at least i know they were looking into it, and as you said, this is with another bank, so it may take some time. I was just wondering, if any boardsies recently have this happened to them, only found some threads from 2 years ago, and for me getting cash from atm is very stressful experience. I never know if i get the money or not...

All good, had money transferred back yesterday, and even few missed calls from local branch, they seem to care. I overreacted a little, but who wouldn't for a week pay these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭grasshopper31

This happened to me today in supermarket.... 1st transaction of 100 was cancelled, i then put in 90... got this...
    Checked online banking & 190 was taken out, rang bank and was told that it may correct itself overnight, if not, ive to go to aib branch and fill out a form and it could take anything up to 30 days to fix :confused:
    Glad you got sorted quickly wonski

You will, probably, get it overnight, or in the worst case scenario after few days. It is like BuffyBot said- better to have someone to say it will take up to 30 days and know it will take long, than someone saying it will be back tomorrow, and waiting for it.

Do you mind me asking what ATM did you use, and if it is not to much who are you banking with. For me it is always BOI atm that fails, so wondering if i should avoid those in the future?

• Advertisement

Well the transaction wasnt reversed, will have to wait till Tuesday now to follow it up....:mad:
    Wonski Im A I B, and it was a free standing machine in my local super value that it happened....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

wonski wrote: »
    Well, had a call from my bank later this afternoon, they are in the process of sorting this out for me, as the money are not back. I was also told, that in last months the claim process speeded up a bit and i may expect it within a week...well I hope. Glad they called, so at least i know they were looking into it, and as you said, this is with another bank, so it may take some time. I was just wondering, if any boardsies recently have this happened to them, only found some threads from 2 years ago, and for me getting cash from atm is very stressful experience. I never know if i get the money or not...

Happened to me today :mad: I tried to take money from an AIB ATM in Rathmines, it took my pin and amount no problem, it gave me back the card as normal, but after two minutes no money came out and the screen said 'Error, the transaction has been cancelled, please remove your card'

I checked my online banking and it took the money out of my account, I'm with NIB so will ring them on Tuesday if it doesn't go back in automatically, it's so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DwarfMidget

If the transaction doesn't automatically reverse overnight, it's known as a "mis-dispense".

Under European Payment Services Regulations, you are not due a refund on the day of the transaction as it has been properly authorised, but was incorrectly executed, or incomplete.

In my experience, such things take about a week to sort out.

Your bank is obliged to ensure that any related interest or transaction charges are reversed, by the way - this includes excess fees caused as a direct or indirect result of the erroneous transaction.

If the transaction doesn't automatically reverse overnight, it's known as a "mis-dispense".

Under European Payment Services Regulations, you are not due a refund on the day of the transaction as it has been properly authorised, but was incorrectly executed, or incomplete.

In my experience, such things take about a week to sort out.

Your bank is obliged to ensure that any related interest or transaction charges are reversed, by the way - this includes excess fees caused as a direct or indirect result of the erroneous transaction.

So, if as a result of this atm fault i had to use my credit card and this cost me some money, can i expect refund?
    Also, i was late with my rent, can i just ask my bank to refund any late payment my house owner occured due to me not paying rent on time?
    Thanks for any views on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brian1978

Hi All,

Same happened to me Friday 18:00 at the AIB bank ATM in Killarney High Street. It showed an error message: 'Error, the transaction has been cancelled, please remove your card' - background was pink. I took my card and shortly afterwards the usual blue background came back with the welcome message 'please insert your card etc, etc .. Later at night I check my online banking and yes e190 deducted!

On Sat first thing I called AIB - they tell me to contact AIB branch in Killarney on Tuesday. I also called my local Ulster Bank who told me it should auto correct on the following business day. If not I would have to come back fill a form and they'd sort it out.

I guess I will wait till Tuesday and check if it has auto corrected. The most weird aspect about all this is that I was in a queue and the people before and after me seemed to have no problems. Strange that it picked me - perhaps something wrong with my Ulster Bank card?

I hate banks so much - thanks for ruining my long weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

All good, had money transferred back yesterday, and even few missed calls from local branch, they seem to care. I overreacted a little, but who wouldn't for a week pay these days.
    Who wouldn't? Its understandable
    Brian1978 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Same happened to me Friday 18:00 at the AIB bank ATM in Killarney High Street. It showed an error message: 'Error, the transaction has been cancelled, please remove your card' - background was pink. I took my card and shortly afterwards the usual blue background came back with the welcome message 'please insert your card etc, etc .. Later at night I check my online banking and yes e190 deducted!

On Sat first thing I called AIB - they tell me to contact AIB branch in Killarney on Tuesday. I also called my local Ulster Bank who told me it should auto correct on the following business day. If not I would have to come back fill a form and they'd sort it out.

I guess I will wait till Tuesday and check if it has auto corrected. The most weird aspect about all this is that I was in a queue and the people before and after me seemed to have no problems. Strange that it picked me - perhaps something wrong with my Ulster Bank card?

I hate banks so much - thanks for ruining my long weekend!
    Do they have the emergency cash facility to get you through or even an overdraft?
    Ive never come across a bank who wont rectify it but you need to contact them asap.
    The sums wont add up on the read from the atm.

Hi All,

That is the exact message I got at an AIB ATM, except my card came out as normal and the message appeared a couple of minutes later. People before and after me where also fine.

I'm with National Irish Bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DwarfMidget

So, if as a result of this atm fault i had to use my credit card and this cost me some money, can i expect refund?
    Also, i was late with my rent, can i just ask my bank to refund any late payment my house owner occured due to me not paying rent on time?
    Thanks for any views on this.

No, sorry, I should have been clearer in my original post;

"Your bank is obliged to ensure that any related automatic interest or transaction charges on your account are reversed, by the way - this includes excess fees caused as a direct or indirect result of the erroneous transaction."

Additions in red - your bank is not liable for other costs. They are obliged to return your account to the state it would have been in had the error not taken place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Is this occurring with the new fancy looking AIB ATMs ?

Solair wrote: »
    Is this occurring with the new fancy looking AIB ATMs ?

Yes, the one I used was new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brian1978

It was one of the 'fancy' AIB machines for me too.

Although I am sure it was no skimming what happened to me - see article below. Interesting .. I will never use AIB.

http://sociable.co/technology/gardai-warn-of-sophisticated-aib-atm-skimming-scam-in-operation/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

It was one of the 'fancy' AIB machines for me too.

Although I am sure it was no skimming what happened to me - see article below. Interesting .. I will never use AIB.

http://sociable.co/technology/gardai-warn-of-sophisticated-aib-atm-skimming-scam-in-operation/
    Thats quite scary actually as I used to use a similar atm.
    I'd love to know where they are getting this stuff though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The green bubble thing is supposed to make it more difficult to skim, but it seems it's had the opposite effect.

Banks use more or less the same ATMs all over the world, they're made by a few companies and there are only so many models available so I assume someone's contract manufacturing this stuff to fit the standard machines and it's being purchased and used.

The only way I could think of preventing this would be to coat the ATMs with some kind of pebble-dash type surface to make it very irregular so that nobody could attach anything without it being very obvious.

Like pebble dashed ATMs!

My money didn't get refunded automatically today, I just rang my bank so I have to call into them to fill in forms :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bod23

Galadriel wrote: »
    My money didn't get refunded automatically today, I just rang my bank so I have to call into them to fill in forms :mad:

Same here, didn.t get refunded. Have to c all in to fill out an incident form. . . Can't get in till tomorrow, really annoyed.

• Advertisement

bod23 wrote: »
    Same here, didn.t get refunded. Have to c all in to fill out an incident form. . . Can't get in till tomorrow, really annoyed.

Was yours at an AIB ATM?

Mine wasnt refunded either.... Its such a pain, will have to call in tomorrow to fill out form...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It once took me 2 months to get back cash that the ATM sucked up before I could pull it out of the slot before. The killing thing was the fookers in AIB made me chase them up for it. Appalling customer service.

Did anyone go into the bank today to fill in the forms? I've to go in tomorrow.

Did anyone go into the bank today to fill in the forms? I've to go in tomorrow.

No, I couldn't get in today either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This happened to me thursday night, im with aib, it was an aib 'green bubble' machine on michel st in waterford. Asked for 40 euro, card came back and i got the same message as posted above. I called aib24 today, they told me to go to a branch, not a hope, so they posted the forms to me today, ill post them back tomorrow. Problem is i have switched accounts and have asked for my account to be closed in 2 weeks time. Better have it back before then! This happened to me a few years ago, the day the aib bubble machine was installed on my road. It was 240euro that time and it took 2weeks for it to come back.

My account was credited today, happy days.... :D one less thing to be worrying about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bod23

Mine too was credited ....

Galadriel,.... mine too was A I B....

bod23 wrote: »
    Mine too was credited ....

Galadriel,.... mine too was A I B....

Just checked mine, no sign :( guess I'll have to go into them today after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Mine was credited, which is a good thing as the form to claim hadnt arrived this morning so i just checked my account before i rang to complain!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement