Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading between the lines... How we don't really say what we mean :D

• 03-04-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Watching The Savage Eye yesterday there was a funny bit under "Citizenship Classes" on "Sharing the delicate use of language pertaining to the Irish family"

"In Ireland, if someone is a raging alcoholic they are..?
    Fond of a few drinks

If a member of the family is a drug addict they are..?
    On tablets

If any member of the family suffers from dementia, depression or alzheimers they have..?
    Trouble with their nerves

In Ireland, if any members of the family are bulimic, bipolar, suicidal, physically or sexually abusive, sitting on a couch, rocking back and forth, eating biscuits, they are...?
    Grand!"

This made me laugh quite a bit but I reckon also because there was some truth to it...

Do we ever say what we really mean? why don't we?

Discuss :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Not sure, what do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

what did you call me.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

smash wrote: »
    what did you call me.....
    You're a character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

In case we offend others. I hope that sheds some light on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I often found when I was in college that if one of the lads was going out with a girl that the others wouldnt class a stunner she was "sound"

Example:

Me: What's Steves new girlfriend like?
    Tom: Ah she's sound!

Translation: Great sence of humour but I wouldnt go out with her because of her looks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Woman : *trying with all her might to magically and/or telepathically tell you exactly how she feels/what's wrong with her/what she wants*

Man : *imaginary pretending to drive an F1 car around Silverstone, complete with imaginary engine noises and the imagined scent of burning rubber* Sorry, love....what's up?

Woman : *sigh* Nothing, you just don't understand me.........

Man : *belch* Eh? Just feckin' tell me!

Woman : *indecisive for a moment, then ragequits into the bedroom, door slammed shut behind*

Man : *I wonder what it's like to be a dog, would be awesome to be able to lick my own testicles all day* You alright, love?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

They're under the weather

I had a "few" pints last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"Ah sure, we'll just go for the one."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Bubbly and fun-loving when describing a girl means they're fat and loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Nay bother

'Be grand after I get me brekkie roll into me'

Things don't go your way

'Ah me head is fcukin wrecked, man'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

you have a cough................"ah man im in bits think im dying"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

'Sometimes I just have to cry' Oh FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

chin_grin wrote: »
    Not sure, what do you mean?

Were you being sarcastic...??? If not, I'll elaborate! :)

Say it to my face

Bubbly and fun-loving when describing a girl means they're fat and loud.

I hate when people say stuff like that... But then again, if she was actually big and loud, it's probably best not to say it! :D

A sun shower.

There is a bit of a frost out

and every wind is "a gale"

snuggles09 wrote: »
    I often found when I was in college that if one of the lads was going out with a girl that the others wouldnt class a stunner she was "sound"

Example:

Me: What's Steves new girlfriend like?
    Tom: Ah she's sound!

Translation: Great sence of humour but I wouldnt go out with her because of her looks

Oh the "sound" word... so versatile in the Irish English language :D

If you turned that around, i.e. girls saying about a guy he's a sound lad... I reckon a lot of times that means they like him and he's nice... but they don't like him in that way, am I right?

By the way, anyone agree that particularly the Irish are great for the old subtext in conversations... As in probably one of the least blunt nations ever! (or most diplomatic, whichever way you wanna put it)
    As in we say the opposite of what we really mean sometimes...

Example: the word "interesting"

Someone using the words "Oh, that's quite interesting" when really they mean "God, this is so boring I'm losing the will to live!!!"

Or, at a dinner table -
    "Mmh, that tastes interesting" = "that tastes like mince meat custard and don't ever make me eat that again!"

Is it an Irish thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"Not another red cent"
    "Labours way or Frankfurts way.

Translation: I am a lying cunt and I would slit you and your childrens necks just to get ahead.
    Now if you'll excuse me I have satans dick to suck on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ah sure tis no problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

What you say: ' I'm gonna ride the be jaysus out of her, she's gonna be walkin funny for a week after i lash her out of it'

what you really mean: 'I'm gonna blow my load after 10 to 15 stokes and it will be awkward because of her obvious disappointment' :(

:P

• Advertisement

How's she cuttin (LOL some answered me "she needs sharpening)

Top of the morning to yah,,the reply,,and the rest of the day to you please god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Watching The Savage Eye yesterday there was a funny bit under "Citizenship Classes" on "Sharing the delicate use of language pertaining to the Irish family"

"In Ireland, if someone is a raging alcoholic they are..?
    Fond of a few drinks

If a member of the family is a drug addict they are..?
    On tablets

If any member of the family suffers from dementia, depression or alzheimers they have..?
    Trouble with their nerves

In Ireland, if any members of the family are bulimic, bipolar, suicidal, physically or sexually abusive, sitting on a couch, rocking back and forth, eating biscuits, they are...?
    Grand!"

This made me laugh quite a bit but I reckon also because there was some truth to it...

Do we ever say what we really mean? why don't we?

Discuss :P

Thats very funny. Its like most Irish people don't tell it like it is and are not all that honest about things much. I know I sometimes do that because it's easier and it's seems that we should'nt express angry or emotions much. Like if people are in a bad situation, they will say their 'grand' it's an a word that doesn't tell you anything because it could mean anything.

It seems to be something to do with the remnants of Catholic church influence in Ireland because people always had to oppressed things in the past and pretend everything is 'grand'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Watching The Savage Eye yesterday there was a funny bit

Nobody can really mean that?

44leto wrote: »
    A sun shower.

There is a bit of a frost out

and every wind is "a gale"

Mild to medium winter to summer weather in 24 hours. How come from rte weather always gives the direction of the wind like southery winds. I don't think any one is going to want to know what way the way is going to blow from.

The only time you know someone is being honest is when they actually say 'to be honest'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Mr. Dunphy was tired and emotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I'm not a racist but

In fairness is used by a lot of irish people when they are being fair.

That ad for 123 insurance or is it fbd? has alot of funny things people say. 'yer wan'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

How's she cuttin (LOL some answered me "she needs sharpening)
    Like a lawnmower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Thats very funny. Its like most Irish people don't tell it like it is and are not all that honest about things much. I know I sometimes do that because it's easier and it's seems that we should'nt express angry or emotions much. Like if people are in a bad situation, they will say their 'grand' it's an a word that doesn't tell you anything because it could mean anything.

It seems to be something to do with the remnants of Catholic church influence in Ireland because people always had to oppressed things in the past and pretend everything is 'grand'.

Dishonest Irish people?! Never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Oh the "sound" word... so versatile in the Irish English language :D

If you turned that around, i.e. girls saying about a guy he's a sound lad... I reckon a lot of times that means they like him and he's nice... but they don't like him in that way, am I right?

By the way, anyone agree that particularly the Irish are great for the old subtext in conversations... As in probably one of the least blunt nations ever! (or most diplomatic, whichever way you wanna put it)
    As in we say the opposite of what we really mean sometimes...

Example: the word "interesting"

Someone using the words "Oh, that's quite interesting" when really they mean "God, this is so boring I'm losing the will to live!!!"

Or, at a dinner table -
    "Mmh, that tastes interesting" = "that tastes like mince meat custard and don't ever make me eat that again!"

Is it an Irish thing?

They do that with interesting in England too:

That was an interesting choice of dvd to watch= why the blue blazes did you pick that one???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

The money was just resting in my account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

When someone starts a question with a negative, e.g. don't you want to come with us?, they don't want you to come with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

"I won the money on horse racing".

Translation: "I took bribes as Minister for Finance to allow redevelopment of vast quantities of land".

"We're in this together".

Translation: "Everybody else but politicians and bankers are fucked".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He took a knock = he's terminally ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Died in tragic circumstances = suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

He's a rogue = he's a lying, coniving cheater with a good personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

"Ah it'll be grand" = "I haven't a ****in notion of what's going to happen but fingers crossed, wha?!"

The only time you know someone is being honest is when they actually say 'to be honest'

Or when they say "No offense like" :D My all time favourite... And anything can follow that sentence, normally not just honest stuff but also quite offensive. Which is ironic if you think about it.

For example "No offense, like, but you're a toolbag!" = really offensive... but you know, it's ok cos I said no offense! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm fine (in woman) = i'm sooooooo not fine, and you're a toolbag for having to ask that. you should know what's wrong! :mad:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

David McSavage is a bollocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

"He's a great one for the ladies!" = he'd ride anything that moves

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

'I'll call you' :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

''You're such a good friend''. = ''Dream on, sunshine''.

St.Spodo wrote: »
    ''You're such a good friend''. = ''Dream on, sunshine''.

I hate when girls say that too each other...

The real meaning of this sentence is

= I don't like you because you're a cooler, prettier me and I'd really like to claw your eyes out. But I'll stay friends with you because I want to be cool and pretty too!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

It's a common charateristic of Western European's to be indirect, too formal and less sincere

It's a common charateristic of Western European's to be indirect, too formal and less sincere

Interesting claim... I'm not sure I agree 100%. I reckon it is a thing of English-speaking countries or Anglo-Saxon culture if you like.

It depends who you define as Western European as well. The French or Spanish can be incredibly direct or at least come across that way - I consider them Western European, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Will you drop me to the airport, my flight is at half 6 in the morning?

I will ya

(No)

"Leave it with me" = I didnt hear a word of what you just asked me to do so I'm planning to do nothing about it! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

How's she cuttin

thick slices

• Advertisement
Advertisement