Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Triton As2000X Power Shower Triping Breaker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

A junction box between the pull cord and shower? God knows why, make sure all connections are sound? If the shower is on a stud wall it might not be so bad to re-run. If its a block wall keep the holy water handy... maybe put the shower on an rcbo for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Comer1

The purpose of the junction box seems to be to take an earth off the cable??? No idea where its going. Its just disappearing off into the joists.

Anyway, I tried to see if the cable going down to the shower would come up out of the conduit to check the viability of easily changing the cable but it wouldn't budge, despite only having a run of about 3 to 4 feet run. There maybe something that has damaged it and has it jammed in place. I changed the junction box for a more robust one but not very optimistic that will make any difference. Its been on now for about an hour (which included a long shower.) If it goes again and the electrician tells me it's the cable, I'll just have to chase the wall and run a new cable.

Thanks again to all who contributed, really appreciated!

That's odd if he wanted an earth he could have got it from the pull cord without having to break the cable again? Anyway wait for your electrician a few tests he should have it all sorted and have a few ideas.

Best of luck.

Well there is no more I can do now except wait for the electrician :( I have changed the entire cable (removed the junction box too) between the shower and the pull cord, I've changed the pull cord and even tried a different shower and still, when the pull cord is on (even without the shower being on), after an hour or so, the RCD trips. Surely that suggest that the problem is from the pull cord to the panel:confused:

When I was changing the pull cord, I had the circuit breaker for the shower turned off but when the neutral touched the earth the RCD tripped again, is that significant or normal?

Really disappointed, I was sure that changing that entire cable would sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Comer1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Electrician neighbour also thought it must be the shower. However, he put in a new RCD for me last Friday and it hasn't tripped since. So...fingers crossed. Sending back the shower would be a real pain.

Has the shower been running without a problem for nearly 2 years up until last Sunday when you said,
    This is still happening

• Advertisement

I had a shower in place that ran without problem for 15 years. Two years ago, I put in a new shower and the problem started. At that time the electrician put in a new RCD and I thought that had it sorted but it had not. It still tripped when the pull cord is left on or for a really long shower. I just kept the pull cord off and encouraged everyone not to spend all day in shower (doesn't work with kids :) ).

Since last Monday, I tried a different shower, ran a new cable from pull cord to shower and changed the pull cord with no improvement.

I had a shower in place that ran without problem for 15 years. Two years ago, I put in a new shower and the problem started. At that time the electrician put in a new RCD and I thought that had it sorted but it had not.

Had you nearly two years trouble free with the shower until now?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Get an electrician to look at it sooner rather than later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

When I was changing the pull cord, I had the circuit breaker for the shower turned off but when the neutral touched the earth the RCD tripped again, is that significant or normal?

That is normal.

RCD replacement might sort the tripping problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Is it me, or is this thread becoming somewhat circular?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Not to me, for me its been a real trip.

It was about getting an idea of a few things I could try myself while waiting for the electrician. I would never have changed the cable between shower and power cord without this thread and although it didn't work it was still definitely worth the try and I'm very grateful for the contributions by all.

Surely I must be the first person ever to make a "trip" joke on this forum.

New evidence presented. Circular to some, or one. Narrowing the problem down, to others.

Surely I must be the first person ever to make a "trip" joke on this forum.

Possibly, and dont call me surely.

I dont know why the OP cant answer the question about the whether the shower ran trouble free for the last two years or not.

WikiHow wrote: »
    I dont know why the OP cant answer the question about the whether the shower ran trouble free for the last two years or not.

Sorry, I thought I had a few posts back. The problem started a couple of years agoI when I installed the new shower. It has continued ever since for the past two years, but it seldom tripped as I always leave the power cord off and "encourage" short showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Is it possible that your cable feeding the shower is too light , heating up and causing the rcbo s thermal trip too kick in?

kramer1 wrote: »
    Is it possible that your cable feeding the shower is too light , heating up and causing the rcbo s thermal trip too kick in?

That would be a negative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Bruthal wrote: »
    That would be a negative

lol.. best thread ever this

have they tried swapping bathrooms with the neighbours

see if anything trips

Around the world keeps playing in my head... you might be better off to get a plumber in too ha.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    That would be a negative

Why? Just curious. Think he said it only happens after the shower has been on for a while , new showers draw alot more than the older ones and if he has an rcbo rather than an rcd surely there's a thermal as well as an electro magnetic trip

Its on an rcd, he said it takes out sockets too so no overload.

kramer1 wrote: »
    Why? Just curious. Think he said it only happens after the shower has been on for a while , new showers draw alot more than the older ones and if he has an rcbo rather than an rcd surely there's a thermal as well as an electro magnetic trip

Shower is a mixer shower, so very small load. The trip also seems to have happened without shower even running.

Too small and supply cable will possibly get too hot to be good for the cable. But unlikely to get got enough to upset about breaker unless the connection at the breaker was bad, but as said, it's happening on at mixer shower, without it even running.

My mistake, thought he was talkin about a t80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

great thread, looks like this cant be sorted, any of you guys who do this work on a regular basis ever find a neon tracking?

great thread, looks like this cant be sorted, any of you guys who do this work on a regular basis ever find a neon tracking?

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

the neon indicator light or led shorting between l and n or to earth

the neon indicator light or led shorting between l and n or to earth

not that i recall anyhow

2011 wrote: »
    It may be that the combined earth leakage of all of your socket circuits and the shower pushes the RCD over the 30mA limit.
    All showers would have a certain (safe) amount of earth leakage.

I agree with this and believe this is the problem.
    If it were my home I would have the shower on a dedicated RCBO

Definitively a dedicated RCBO should be installed and tests carried out and have assurance that the installation is safe, having a shower occasionally tripping for two years is unacceptable and dangerous.

• Advertisement

WikiHow wrote: »
    I agree with this and believe this is the problem.

It might be, its a simple enough concept mentioned on this forum many times.

If the shower is not actually in use however, the problem may lie elsewhere on another circuit. Its all guess work from here.
    having a shower occasionally tripping for two years is unacceptable and dangerous.

How is it dangerous?

Advertisement