Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Triton As2000X Power Shower Triping Breaker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Comer1 wrote: »
    Could the problem be that somewhere on the cable going from the pull cord back to the panel, a socket or something has been added.

If the electrician simply connects the supply to the RCBO to the non RCD BUS bar in the panel, that might in itself stop the tripping. '

That was the first thing to do. Connecting it as it has been connected, did nothing to show the problem any clearer for anyone here, and was the incorrect way to connect it anyway.

He could have been lucky and happen to put in an RCBO a bit more sensitive than the RCD, but that would have been luck, rather than the proper independent connecting of the RCBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Comer1

WikiHow wrote: »
    I thought you replaced the cable? :confused:

I replaced the cable from the shower to the pull cord, not from the pull cord to the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I replaced the cable from the shower to the pull cord, not from the pull cord to the panel.

Have you access to inspect the cable from the board to the switch? i.e attic, side crawl attic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Push the test button for your socket rcd, then go try switch the shower on. If the shower doesent work and your rcbo isint tripped then it's clear what the problem is.

Have you access to inspect the cable from the board to the switch? i.e attic, side crawl attic?

No, but if need be, I could run a new cable. Strange that it trips only when the pull cord is on if the problem is from the pull cord to the panel.

• Advertisement

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    Push the test button for your socket rcd, then go try switch the shower on. If the shower doesent work and your rcbo isint tripped then it's clear what the problem is.

Interesting. What is it?

Bruthal wrote: »
    Interesting. What is it?

That the RCBO isn't connected independently of the RCD???

No, but if need be, I could run a new cable. Strange that it trips only when the pull cord is on if the problem is from the pull cord to the panel.

Have you tried the experiment in post #95?

That the RCBO isn't connected independently of the RCD???

So the rcbo is fed from the rcd.

Interesting. What is it?

Dat there's a phase or neutral mixed up in the board.

• Advertisement

Did you run the shower for a minute or 2, or will that instantly trip the Rcd?

So the rcbo is fed from the rcd.

I don't know. I'm a teacher, and everybody knows those who can't do...teach :pac:

I did the test in post 95 and yes, with RCD tripped, and the RCBO not tripped, the power is off to the shower.

I don't know. I'm a teacher, and everybody knows those who can't do...teach :pac:

I did the test in post 95 and yes, with RCD tripped, and the RCBO not tripped, the power is off to the shower.

The electrician you got to put in the RCBO for you is he qualified or is he someone from Mens shed?

Dat there's a phase or neutral mixed up in the board.

Turning off the rcd won't prove that, as both phase and neutral might be through rcd to rcbo. But running the shower causing instant trip would strongly suggest it alright if the shower had previously been running at least for a few minutes at a time.

Turn on pull chord, then run shower.

Does it run?

Turning off the rcd won't prove that, as both phase and neutral might be through rcd to rcbo. But running the shower causing instant trip would strongly suggest it alright if the shower had previously been running at least for a few minutes at a time.

Y would you connect an rcbo downstream of an rcd?

Turn on pull chord, then run shower.

Does it run?

No, the RCD tripped immediately, not the RCBO.

Y would you connect an rcbo downstream of an rcd?

You wouldnt, but it appears that is how it was connected today.

A few earlier posts

Did shower stay on when rcd tripped? If not then your sparks made a mess of adding dedicated rcbo.

As I and others have said, the RCBO should have been connected independently of the RCD, so only the RCBO would trip with residual current problems.

Adding in an RCBO onto the RCD was a pointless exercise if that is what has been done, in terms of stopping the RCD tripping if the shower was the cause.

[

And did the shower stop running then?

Looks like the electrician intended connecting the rcbo up independently alright, but connected into wrong neutral bar probably.

The rcd tripping instantly bwhen you try to run it is a sign of that.

• Advertisement

You wouldnt, but it appears that is how it was connected today.

A few earlier posts

[

Sorry should have read the whole thread first' my bad.

Looks like the electrician intended connecting the rcbo up independently alright, but connected into wrong neutral bar probably.

But he said earlier it was running for a minute or two after the installation of the RCBO.

That grey capacitor is not in place ATM, would that make a difference?

But he said earlier it was running for a minute or two after the installation of the RCBO.

I think he may have said it tripped a minute or two after switching on the pullchord. I'm not sure though.

But you said in post #80 that it was running perfect without it connected :confused:

Running the test that Bruthal suggested was the first time I tried running the shower since last week.

Probably not.

So to clarify. If you put pull chord on, the rcd will stay on for a time. But if you try to run shower, it will trip instantly?

Running the test that Bruthal suggested was the first time I tried running the shower since last week.

How many different ways are there in pressing the on button?

But you said in post #80 that it was running perfect without it connected :confused:

My bad, I should have posted that there was no current through the earth when the capacitor was disconnected. I didn't actually try running the shower. Just turning on the pull cord after post 80 made me realize that I had been a bit premature with my optomism:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Probably not.

So to clarify. If you put pull chord on, the rcd will stay on for a time. But if you try to run shower, it will trip instantly?

Yes

Advertisement