Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to fit a curtain pole??

• 03-04-2012 2:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

What the best way to fit a curtain pole to a wall??

The wall in question is normal/typical cavity wall,with 2 x 1 battons on it and then the plasterboard/skimcoat.

Does the pole need to be drilled and screwed right through into the blockwork,or just into the plasterboard??

And what type of fittings will do the job best??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rungmc

Always best to get into the blockwork, it's not just the weight of the pole it's also the weight of the curtains too! Use hammer fixings (sometimes called frame fixings, 8x80s or 8x100s or so).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

rungmc wrote: »
    Always best to get into the blockwork, it's not just the weight of the pole it's also the weight of the curtains too! Use hammer fixings (sometimes called frame fixings, 8x80s or 8x100s or so).

I had a feeling it would be frame fixers,but was a bit unsure,and with all these fancy new fittings on the market now....I thought it better to ask here on this forum.:)

Arent frame fixer screws very wide/thick though,when compared to a typical brown coloured rawl plug and screw?

So the frame fixer screw wouldnt actually fit through the holes of the curtain brackets??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Frame fixings all the way, unless you can srew it directly into on of the wooden battons.

Frame fixings all the way, unless you can srew it directly into on of the wooden battons.

Thanks,I,ll get out the pipe/stud locator then and see where the nearest battons are in relation to the sides of the window.:)

Can I ask the same question for a curtain pole on a concrete wall with 80mm insulated slab on it??

How does one fix a curtain pole to insulated slab then???

Thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thanks,I,ll get out the pipe/stud locator then and see where the nearest battons are in relation to the sides of the window.:)

You'll normally find that there's a batton running up either side of the window, going floor to ceiling, this is what i always use. Its also very handy when the other half decides she doesn't like the curtains in 2 weeks time and wants you to raise or lower the rail for a different set :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

rungmc wrote: »
    ..., it's not just the weight of the pole it's also the weight of the curtains too!........

....and the child swinging on them.
    ....and the adult pulling them open and closed, especially when they're leaning across a bed or sofa to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

I am in an old house and you almost have to go into the wall about 100mm before you hit the blockwork. The walls have a layer of plaster and then about 80mm of dark grey crumbly stuff which i am assuming is insulation back in the day. Fixing poles is a nightmare. So i am going to cut away plaster and insulation, and fix a thick block to the solid wall then replaster over it. This will be done at the three points of fixing.
    Hope this helps others and please correct me if i am wrong ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

IrlMonk wrote: »
    I am in an old house and you almost have to go into the wall about 100mm before you hit the blockwork. The walls have a layer of plaster and then about 80mm of dark grey crumbly stuff which i am assuming is insulation back in the day. Fixing poles is a nightmare. So i am going to cut away plaster and insulation, and fix a thick block to the solid wall then replaster over it. This will be done at the three points of fixing.
    Hope this helps others and please correct me if i am wrong ;-)

Sounds like a good idea. I have 100mm insulation on the internal walls and I used these to hold up the curtain poles. They are up for 1.5 years now and no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I use these 33eda47180b7eed71b760e0519718bbb.jpgfor mounting most things on plaster so far they've been good for 12 years in insulated board on block and 5 years direct in plaster in a Timber frame house. The tenants in the first house haven't pulled them down yet. I would be wary of using them in a kids room and where I've used them for mirrors I'd be careful when cleaning but otherwise they're great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement