Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish 23 Man Squad - The Run In

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Whoever it is that misses the final I don't think it'll cost us too much as a team.

I remember when Sir Royston of Keane missed WC2002 I thought it was the end of the world and that we were going to lose every upcoming game. Turns out we acquitted ourselves well and got results that were every bit as good as how we'd done in qualification.

This time round the Irish squad doesn't even have a player is as individually important as Keane was so the impact this time round will be felt even less so I reckon.

That said (and it's not the case here) I think if Robbie Keane was out then that could cost us a lot because of the goals he scored. I remember Quinn missing WC1994 due to injury and we had to change our formation and never looked half as threatening after. I guess we're lucky in some regards that it's going to be a midfielder where (despite contrary opinion) I reckon we have our greatest strength in depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Whoever it is that misses the final I don't think it'll cost us too much as a team.

I remember when Sir Royston of Keane missed WC2002 I thought it was the end of the world and that we were going to lose every upcoming game. Turns out we acquitted ourselves well and got results that were every bit as good as how we'd done in qualification.

This time round the Irish squad doesn't even have a player is as individually important as Keane was so the impact this time round will be felt even less so I reckon.

That said (and it's not the case here) I think if Robbie Keane was out then that could cost us a lot because of the goals he scored. I remember Quinn missing WC1994 due to injury and we had to change our formation and never looked half as threatening after. I guess we're lucky in some regards that it's going to be a midfielder where (despite contrary opinion) I reckon we have our greatest strength in depth.

If Richard Dunne was to miss out that would be a far bigger loss to us than Keane was in 02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If Keane had have been there it could have been a hell of a lot different.

SantryRed wrote: »
    If Keane had have been there it could have been a hell of a lot different.

Could have. Don't think it would have been tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't understand the fixation with Paul Green. The only reason he got called up for the squad in the last friendly was because Gibson was injured.

And yet then he was brought on when we were trying to win. He also played in one of the biggest games in the group (home against Russia). Green is probably not going, but Trap has done plenty of mad things so far in his time. So people are right to worry a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Anyone know what's going on there?
    Are we allowed talk about it...? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

If you were picking on club form and impact then Doyle, Hunt, St Ledger, Cox, Green, Forde, Fahey, O'Dea, Foley and maybe mcGeady would all miss out.

People like Hoolahan, Pilkington, Harte, N Hunt, Wilson, McCarthy, MClean, Clark, Paddy McCarthy and Paddy Kenny (if available) would be ahead of them.

In reality we don't have 23 International class players to pick from so Trap reckons that the system and team spirit must come first. There is a lot to be said for that. Greece won the tournament without any really top notch players because they were organised and worked their asses off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I think the FAI haven't really handled this whole issue too well. Why wait till now to announce who the mystery player is? It's been in the news for the last 2 weeks or so and people have been spreading rumour after rumour. They should have come straight out with it so it could be dealt with there and then.

Hopefully they make a better go of the rest of the administrative work surrounding the tournament.

Could have. Don't think it would have been tho.

He was one of the best players in the world at the time and massively influential. Of course the team would have been better off with him in it (assuming none of the Saipan stuff happened).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

People who suggest that a regular missing out would not affect our chances much really do not understand how Traps teams succeed. Mcgeady or Duff would be a huge blow imo.

Pro. F wrote: »
    He was one of the best players in the world at the time and massively influential. Of course the team would have been better off with him in it (assuming none of the Saipan stuff happened).

Why? The results and performances don't seem to bear that analysis out. If anything we played better in the games vs Spain and Germany than we did in the set of games against Holland and Portugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Given, Westwood, Forde

Dunne, St ledger, O'Shea, Kelly, Ward, O'Dea, Foley

Andrews, Whelan, Mcgeady, Hunt, Duff, Mclean, Walters, Gibson, Mcarthy

Keane, Coz, Doyle, Long

thats who id bring!

Why? The results and performances don't seem to bear that analysis out. If anything we played better in the games vs Spain and Germany than we did in the set of games against Holland and Portugal.

No we didn't. Your analysis is spurious. There was nothing like a noticeable improvement in the performances in the WC. And the Dutch were the best team of that four by a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

What time is the squad being announced?

token101 wrote: »
    What time is the squad being announced?

In 2 hours

• Advertisement

No we didn't. Your analysis is spurious. There was nothing like a noticeable improvement in the performances in the WC. And the Dutch were the best team of that four by a good bit.

As opposed to yours which rated a team who did the worst out of that quartet as the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

enda brady ‏ @SkyEnda
    Statement imminent from the Ireland player who has to miss the Euros due to family reasons

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

So Duff's out then is he? Is that the general rumour mill consensus?

opr wrote: »
    enda brady ‏ @SkyEnda
    Statement imminent from the Ireland player who has to miss the Euros due to family reasons

Opr

get an update in here as quick as possible please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

baldbear wrote: »
    Heard who it is. hope everythings ok with him and his family. Massive loss.

If you do know it's disgusting that you'd go bragging about having insider knowledge about such a personal issue.

That post was wholly unnecessary bar to prove that you are in the know. If you are a friend or a neighbor of the family involved you are some piece of work.

• Advertisement

baldbear wrote: »
    Heard who it is. hope everythings ok with him and his family. Massive loss.

If you do know it's disgusting that you'd go bragging about having insider knowledge about such a personal issue.

That post was wholly unnecessary bar to prove that you are in the know. If you are a friend or a neighbor of the family involved you are some piece of work.

LOL this post is waaay ott. Baldbear's post was a tad annoying at worst.

karma_ wrote: »
    Could not agree with you more homer, the FAI should have just announced it when the news came to light instead of allowing it to build itself into a huge drama.

The two of you are so far off the reservation on this. Without any knowledge of the facts (a credit to the FAI and the players club) we can only speculate what has happened. Perhaps the player and his family needed the time to deal with what is on a personal and professional level devastating news. Other wider family members may have needed to be told. To keep it under wraps until was the right thing to do. The only ones disappointed are the ghouls who lap up these tragic personal stories. Regardless of who the player is this is a dark, dark day and if I were in his shoes I'd have been glad of the media blackout.

Trap headed off the story at e pass by referring to it. The media in Ireland got e message through the usual channels and to be fair to them hey have respected the privacy and wishes of all concerned.

As opposed to yours which rated a team who did the worst out of that quartet as the best.

They did the worst because of what we did to them. We did that with Keane, when it was needed so that we qualified and they didn't.

You can't know what would have happened if we'd had Keane happy and in the team in the WC. You can't compare results against different teams and in different circumstances and draw the conclusions that you are drawing. You certainly can't do that when there wasn't any significant improvement in performances. To say that, because our results were good, we probably wouldn't have done any better with one of the best and most influential players in the world is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

They did the worst because of what we did to them. We did that with Keane, when it was needed so that we qualified and they didn't.

You can't know what would have happened if we'd had Keane happy and in the team in the WC. You can't compare results against different teams and in different circumstances and draw the conclusions that you are drawing. You certainly can't do that when there wasn't any significant improvement in performances. To say that, because our results were good, we probably wouldn't have done any better with one of the best and most influential players in the world is stupid.

... and aren't we lucky that Portugal also managed to do to them.

Just so we're clear here, you rated a team that got to the World Cup final as inferior to one that that didn't even qualify and in fact was beaten by two different nations in qualifying and finished 3rd in their qualifying group. You even rated the team that won their qualifying group against them as inferior.

Sorry but that far surpasses the level of stupidity of anything I or anyone else here might have said today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

darkman2 wrote: »

Really?

enda brady ‏ @SkyEnda
    For everyone asking re #Ireland - Damien Duff is absolutely fine. As is Keano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

^^^^^
    That isnt an offical site is it?

Over on twitter....

enda brady ‏ @SkyEnda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

According to Brady its not Duff.

Have get flight in few hours so might have miss who gets in and out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't trust the above site tbh - the whole squad announced??

Anyway, Enda Brady says Duff is fine which is what was said about him last week.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Really?

enda brady ‏ @SkyEnda

It strikes me that Enda Brady is trolling a little here. It's obvious something is up and the journalists close to the squad know what it is but I would imagine the facts will emerge at the press conference.

Balls.ie started the twitter ****e, whether they have the inside track or not. It is being kept very quiet. A source I have who could be regarded as having a decent inside track has heard nothing bar speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

MASSIVE fear about it being Dunne. :eek:

Squelchy wrote: »

I'm quite confident it's not.

duff, keane, given and dunne - theyre the experienced players

who else is in this bracket that it could be?

WilcoOut wrote: »
    duff, keane, given and dunne - theyre the experienced players

who else is in this bracket that it could be?

Is it experienced or established, though?

Squelchy wrote: »

Nah, he's been giving several interviews about the Euros last few weeks.

This wait is unnecessarily nerve-wracking

At this stage I'm just gonna wait until Trap names the team himself. Too much speculation with Twitter contradicting itself left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Duff, Keane, Dunne and Given are the 4 players who I desperately hope aren't out of the tournament. Everybody else I think it is possible to manage without.

Whoever it is, you really have to feel for them. If it's one of the senior guys they will be missing out on their last major championships.

The one player whose name I really want to see in the squad is McCarthy. Best available Irish midfielder by quite a distance at the moment. He's been excellent for Wigan.

I would love Harte to go too purely for his delivery if we need a goal but that's just wishful thinking. Couldn't believe it when I heard that Trappatoni didn't realise he was Irish.

ya got me there......................!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Twitter is a load of ****e for this sort of thing, just ignore it.

That website with the full squad does not look trustworthy.

Think it's best just to wait for 3.30.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

from rte
    We'll have live streaming from just after 3:20pm. There is speculation that the senior player forced to miss the competition due to personal reasons will make issue a statement prior to the announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Richard Dunne ‏ @richydunne
    RT @gscully: RT @SkyEnda: For everyone asking re #Ireland - Damien Duff is absolutely fine. As is Keano.

It would be funny if Trap went on a Delia Smith esque rant. 'The player we are missing is you, the fans, the 12th man! Where are you!! You have bad mentality, bad personality, this is no good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Dunne would be the biggest loss

... and aren't we lucky that Portugal also managed to do to them.

Just so we're clear here, you rated a team that got to the World Cup final as inferior to one that that didn't even qualify and in fact was beaten by two different nations in qualifying and finished 3rd in their qualifying group.

Sorry but that far surpasses the level of stupidity of anything I or anyone else here might have said today.

Knockout competitions are a rubbish way of comparing the quality of teams because the sample size is so small that luck becomes a big factor. Even the league format of qualifying groups is so small that luck plays a large part.
    It was a poor WC in general and Germany had a very easy route to the final.

The Dutch were unfortunate to face us with Keane while the Germans got the benefit of coming up against us without him, qualifying first out of the group and getting the best path to the final.

If you don't agree with my estimation of the Dutch as the best of that four fine, you can ignore it because it's not that important. The point still stands. Your idea that we probably wouldn't have done any better with Keane is still ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so if your man brady is correct, then it looks like its not Duff and the other 2 main rumours have been about Hunt and Mcgeedy, both of them have said they are grand.

so who the f*ck is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Rekop dog wrote: »
    It would be funny if Trap went on a Delia Smith esque rant. 'The player we are missing is you, the fans, the 12th man! Where are you!! You have bad mentality, bad personality, this is no good.

personally hoped it wouldnt be any of duff, keane, dunne, given, hunt or mecgeady. They all offer something good if not vital. Hunt is a game changer and just bloody annoying to defend against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

so if your man brady is correct, then it looks like its not Duff and the other 2 main rumours have been about Hunt and Mcgeedy, both of them have said they are grand.

so who the f*ck is it?

The tweet from Brady could also be interpretted to mean that Duff himself is okay, the reasons rumoured would tie in with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

I reckon the fai are just out to troll the whole country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Why all the secrecy about the mystery player?

Are RTE trying to maximise ratings or what?

Doesn't seem to be something thats important to be kept quiet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement