Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco coming to Swords R125

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I wonder will all the other supermarkets change their hours in line?

Supervalu in Boroimhe are already open until 11 every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

pinkypinky wrote:
    I wonder will all the other supermarkets change their hours in line?

I wonder will all the other supermarkets last?? You'd have to wonder about JC's in particular. I reckon that's 9 now in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

rushfan wrote: »
    I wonder will all the other supermarkets last?? You'd have to wonder about JC's in particular. I reckon that's 9 now in Swords.

I can't see the Spar in Holywell in particular holding up well against Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

ethernet wrote: »
    I can't see the Spar in Holywell in particular holding up well against Tesco.

Yeah. This doesn't impact Jc. If they survive Lidl they'll survive anything.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Jcs don't have anything to worry about, for a big enough store it's pretty small on the inside. The stock seems to be hit and miss too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Shop feels bright and smaller than I personally expected :)

They're handing out €5 off €25:

59ahnYLl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Don't think any Tesco stores are 24/7 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Could do with a petrol station at that tesco to shake up the prices a bit. Don't see any signs of one going in.

Not going in , not in the plans in original application submitted to FCC, Applegreen in just down the road in Montgorry so there is sufficient supply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

was tere opening day, grand, huge building outside, small enough shop inside.
    errr, where the clothes section... the only thing we were looking forward to was the childrens clothes, as theyre own brand of kids clothes are very good.

swords is a major, up and coming young family area.

whichever idiot thought it would be a good idea to not put a clothes section in should be sacked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

copeyhagen wrote: »
    was tere opening day, grand, huge building outside, small enough shop inside.
    errr, where the clothes section... the only thing we were looking forward to was the childrens clothes, as theyre own brand of kids clothes are very good.

swords is a major, up and coming young family area.

whichever idiot thought it would be a good idea to not put a clothes section in should be sacked!!

I'm amazed this wasn't a Tesco Extra. Perhaps they felt Finglas, Clare Hall and Balbriggan was enough saturation.

I've no doubt though that Swords will probably get a larger Tesco or similar eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It is spacious I'll give it that. Parking is handy to get in and out. But no electronics etc like in a tesco extra.

Between all the shops around now, what is missing that would make you go to town or up to newry? Not much. Pity M&S didn't follow up and get into the pavillions. But oddly they decided to squeeze into the Omni in santry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Tesco picked an excellent location for their new supermarket; the car park was nearly full today.

Dunnes in Pavillons could lose sales to Tesco as the car parking arrangements are far better. Also, Supervalu in Boroimhe could see their sales being hit again; Lidl Dublin Road and Aldi have already taken customers. Furthermore, the food retailers in Malahide could see a decline in sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Went in yesterday to do my shopping and it's not that cheap at all.

Lead wrote: »
    Went in yesterday to do my shopping and it's not that cheap at all.

It's a tesco... :pac:

yannakis wrote: »
    It's a tesco... :pac:

I havent shopped in a Tesco in about 10 yrs :o Think i may stick to Supervalu.

I havent shopped in a Tesco in about 10 yrs :o Think i may stick to Supervalu.

To be fair, every supermarket has good offers from time to time. I personally mainly use Lidl, but will drop by Supervalue, Tesco, and Dunnes once a month or so to stock up on some particulars. Sometimes also Iceland/Deals/MrPrice.

Best practice for non perishable items going on offer often enough, stock up. I'm doing this with washing liquids, clothes softener, shower gel, shampoo, toothpaste etc. Put the item on your shopping list once you open the last bottle/pack, and you'll have 1-2 months to keep an eye out for the offer.

yannakis wrote: »
    To be fair, every supermarket has good offers from time to time. I personally mainly use Lidl, but will drop by Supervalue, Tesco, and Dunnes once a month or so to stock up on some particulars. Sometimes also Iceland/Deals/MrPrice.

Best practice for non perishable items going on offer often enough, stock up. I'm doing this with washing liquids, clothes softener, shower gel, shampoo, toothpaste etc. Put the item on your shopping list once you open the last bottle/pack, and you'll have 1-2 months to keep an eye out for the offer.

I already do this. Use this site http://www.valueireland.com/2014/11/grocery-special-offers-ireland/ to see all the deals for toiletries and cleaning products :)

I already do this. Use this site http://www.valueireland.com/2014/11/grocery-special-offers-ireland/ to see all the deals for toiletries and cleaning products :)

Looks like a very good source, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

sdanseo wrote: »
    I'm amazed this wasn't a Tesco Extra. Perhaps they felt Finglas, Clare Hall and Balbriggan was enough saturation.

I've no doubt though that Swords will probably get a larger Tesco or similar eventually.

In my opinion, Tesco got this one wrong. The store is too small and doesn't compete with Dunne's and Supervalu in the Pavilions. It's over a month since it opened and you rarely see anyone doing a weekly family shop in the place. It's used more as a late opening convenience store.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

greenflash wrote: »
    In my opinion, Tesco got this one wrong. The store is too small and doesn't compete with Dunne's and Supervalu in the Pavilions. It's over a month since it opened and you rarely see anyone doing a weekly family shop in the place. It's used more as a late opening convenience store.

I don't know anyone who does the weekly shop in the Pavs myself, it's far too much hassle getting in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Agreed. If I'm in the Pavilions for other reasons, I might pick up some milk, etc, but the parking hassle led me to JCs many years ago, and I never looked back.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Me too - I've rarely done a weekly shop in the Pavilions.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Agreed. If I'm in the Pavilions for other reasons, I might pick up some milk, etc, but the parking hassle led me to JCs many years ago, and I never looked back.

and Just think how bad it's going to get when Phase 3 starts. I can swing into JC's and out in 5 Minutes (Hand Made Pizza Check, Beer Check).

Haven't tried the new Tesco, but If I want to go to one there's always millfield in Balbriggan which is also quick in and out and loads of parking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Is Phase 3 ever likely to happen though? At this stage, their planning permission must have expired. (Sorry for the brief off-topic).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Is Phase 3 ever likely to happen though? At this stage, their planning permission must have expired. (Sorry for the brief off-topic).
    Permission was extended to 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Secret is to get into dunnes or supervalue any week night 7-9. SV may even open until 10pm some nights.Avoid daytimes and especially weekends like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Or go before 1100 on Sunday, nearly all stores are closed and only SV / Dunnes open with the place really empty, enjoyable to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Think Tesco is great. Not the monstrosity the size of clare hall,plenty choice and options and you can well do your weekly shop in there and I've seen loads of ppl do weekly shop when I pop in and that's every second day.
    Costa open now too and Camille Thai coming next door. And it's not an eyesore and plenty parking... Big plus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Camille Thai, now that is a good addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

BKWDR wrote: »
    Think Tesco is great. Not the monstrosity the size of clare hall,plenty choice and options and you can well do your weekly shop in there and I've seen loads of ppl do weekly shop when I pop in and that's every second day.
    Costa open now too and Camille Thai coming next door. And it's not an eyesore and plenty parking... Big plus
    +1. Breezed in and out of there today with no hassle. Only problem is the trolleys wouldn't take my euro coin ... and getting stuck in the Airside traffic melee on my way home..

Advertisement