Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco coming to Swords R125

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'm all for filling the vacant units in Swords village, but there's a huge difference between a 150m2 convenience store in Main Street and a 5000m2 regional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I'm all for filling the vacant units in Swords village, but there's a huge difference between a 150m2 convenience store in Main Street and a 5000m2 regional.

I get your point, but that whole block from Taylor's Hardware down to Savages comprises a decent sized lot surely? There are also other units along there that could be absorbed. They wouldn't get one of those enormous stores but it would still be a sizeable premises surely. Obviously Tesco's preference is going to be for a huge out-of-town premises though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I get your point, but that whole block from Taylor's Hardware down to Savages comprises a decent sized lot surely? There are also other units along there that could be absorbed. They wouldn't get one of those enormous stores but it would still be a sizeable premises surely. Obviously Tesco's preference is going to be for a huge out-of-town premises though.

I get what you are saying, but traffic on the main street is ridiculous. Its not really viable for a supermarket to open there really. (jeez I'm always going on about traffic me. :rolleyes: :pac:)

afterhours wrote: »
    it's just like how generations change, well our shopping has changed. This is the way of the future, small shops are out, large and mass produced is in. Couldn't you tell it was going that way already?

It's like music, out with the old and in with the new.. Though of course some classics will live forever, same goes for shops.:)

While I of course agree with you that change is going to occur no matter what, when a town is planned properly it adapts and thrives in new conditions, when planning and consultation is lacking you wind up with the abomination that Swords is becoming. Some English towns have planned against out-of-town sprawl and funnelled development into already established thoroughfares, and these towns typically are more pleasant than ones where planning is more willy-nilly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

afterhours wrote: »
    it's just like how generations change, well our shopping has changed. This is the way of the future, small shops are out, large and mass produced is in. Couldn't you tell it was going that way already?

It's like music, out with the old and in with the new.. Though of course some classics will live forever, same goes for shops.:)

I'm all for change and I wasn't suggesting for a minute that Tesco should open on Main Street, but the council really should put more effort into stopping the main street dying on its feet. It's not going to disappear just because we have shopping centres so they should be trying to keep it alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Where does it say that it'll be a Tesco store? I couldn't see it mentioned in the on line application.

It was in the local swords paper. One of the councellors confirmed it was going to be a 2 storey Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

You can't really have a large store on the Main Street, because large store implies you need a car to get stuff out of it - weekly shop, furniture, electronics etc. Swords, and Final Co. Co. need to get their fingers out and give basically give rate-free offers to people who'll open up small interesting boutiques where you can make impulse buys - vintage clothing, little niche bookshops, delis, etc. They need to make Swords main street a street you could take two hours getting down - forget the mobile shops, the bookies, the cash for golds, the centras and the bloody chippers. It drives me bloody mad, Swords main street is a fantastic resource waiting to be developed by a council with a bit of balls about them, but instead it'll be left to wither and die.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tbh wrote: »
    You can't really have a large store on the Main Street, because large store implies you need a car to get stuff out of it - weekly shop, furniture, electronics etc. Swords, and Final Co. Co. need to get their fingers out and give basically give rate-free offers to people who'll open up small interesting boutiques where you can make impulse buys - vintage clothing, little niche bookshops, delis, etc. They need to make Swords main street a street you could take two hours getting down - forget the mobile shops, the bookies, the cash for golds, the centras and the bloody chippers. It drives me bloody mad, Swords main street is a fantastic resource waiting to be developed by a council with a bit of balls about them, but instead it'll be left to wither and die.

There is a pop up shop now in the Plaza and it changes every few weeks.

Niche bookshops would need more than rates free to become a going concern but I get your wider point. I wouldn't dis the chipper though, the main one's been there since at least 1960. I think they've earned their spot by now. :) There's also the issue that why should new stores get rate free holdings when established, long suffering ones don't. With regard to cars, that's the other issue, there's not enough and never has been enough provision for parking around Main St. Instead of building that county council office they should have built an underground car park or summick. And don't get me started on the castle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Chinatown? FCC thinks there a great bunch of lads and raised the idea of a Chinese area before. Eastern style bars, restaurants, asian food shops, street food, laundries etc You have to offer something different that you can't get anywhere else in Dublin and Swords Main St has more potential than the Gardner street end of Parnell Street.As you said its going to die so they might as well take a high risk option.

chinatown-widman.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I do go on about this a bit but it will seriously affect smaller shops in the swords area. They will eventually close down, resulting in increased unemployment and empty units.

which is why there's about 10 objections from local residents and local business stating just that. there's something like 18 submissions, 2 are in favour of the planning the rest object for various reasons from job losses, business closures, traffic, noise etc

also planning hasn't been granted so Tesco isn't "Coming" its proposed

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    The Tescos in Clarehall can be very intimidating with all the loitering from kids in the surrounding areas.

and you think that wont happen here? kids already loiter at the spar in holywell and in kinsealy,

peteb2 wrote: »
    Either way, don't need it or want it. There's a Dunnes 15 mins walk away and Clarehall is 10 mins drive away. It'll never go ahead because they can't grant permission ahead of the ring road being in place. Which, whilst they have approved funds for it allegedly, have done nothing so far about.

yes they can you're deluded to think otherwise. apparently the ring road has been given the green light and i doubt FCC will put a proviso on it that the road needs to be completed by albany before they build this coz albany have already completed their sections of the ringroad and have done years ago. (if you ask what have albany got to do with it look at the business names and registered addresses of neculeus developments)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

where would you suggest i would park when using it,swords is bad enough for parking as it is.but i would rather if tescos were to rent/build down in airside and keep all the shops together instead of bits popping up everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Faolchu wrote: »
    yes they can you're deluded to think otherwise. apparently the ring road has been given the green light and i doubt FCC will put a proviso on it that the road needs to be completed by albany before they build this coz albany have already completed their sections of the ringroad and have done years ago. (if you ask what have albany got to do with it look at the business names and registered addresses of neculeus developments)

I've lived her since the estate went up so I know exactly what Albany's involvement is in the site.

And the proviso is already in place that no development can occur until the ring road happends.

FCC dropped the ball once by not ensuring that Albany actually owned the land in question for the road they granted permission for. Won't be happenning again.

And the proviso is already in place that no development can occur until the ring road happends.

you want to provide a link to that because last i checked F12A/0046 hasn't been given permission so it wouldn't have any provisos attached to it. (fcc planning site is down today so i cant double check).

does this alleged proviso also apply to the permission Albany allegedly received for further development in Drynam hall?

The plans for Holywell included a Proposed ring road and you like most residents in Holywell cant seem to grasp the concept of the word proposed. time and again there's complaints and news paper articles bitching about the road not being complete yet they all fail to grasp the simple fact that There never was a road to be completed. it was all in the imaginations and wishful thinking of the residents of holywell until recently. so when did FCC grant permission for this alleged road? only last last year not 7-9 years ago when the estate was begun

What there was instead was a Suggestion by the developer that a road be put in place, Not so the lovely people of Holywell wouldn't be bothered with traffic, no it was so they could extend off it into Swords Business Park, which i might add the plan on further developing as its earmarked as science and technology and again the plans for Holywell clearly show this on the maps. if you look at the plans for Holywell its abundantly clear that this was Albany's plan all along cos there's nice dotted lines on the proposed roundabout and a further bunch of dotted lines going all the way into the business park.

Albany complete their section of the proposed ring road according to the plans granted by FCC so in this instance they have done nothing wrong. the person that owned the remainder of the land was within his rights not to sell the land for what ever reason, I'm gonna guess he didnt like the offer. but hows that dropping the ball on the part of FCC? they cant force him to sell unless they put in a CPO but I'd make a guess that the owner of lands can fight a CPO unless its in the "national interest" what they should have done was issued a revision to the plans and made sure the ring road ran on lands wholly owned by Albany thus insuring that the proposal became a reality. but then they never forced the % occupancy of the estate either or the other stipulations attached to the holywell planing application

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

It wasn't a proposed road that was mentioned. Lets be 100% clear here. The reason why you hear residents in Holywell "bitching about the raod not being completed" is not because they think there should be a road there. Its because the estate was marketed including that road as a given. And not as a "wouldnt it be nice".

The same way that as there was to be a school (now arriving 7 years later), local shop and health centre (units only built 3 years ago).

Sure we could all take a class action againt Hamilton Osbourne King (now Savills) and David Daly or Albany Homes or Trident Construction or Nucleus Developments or whatever he likes to go by these, as having being COMPLETELY misled. But what is the point.

And seeing as you like to be fussy about your details, Swords Business Park is nowhere near this site.

It wasn't a proposed road that was mentioned. Lets be 100% clear here.
    yes it was proposed. thats why in the planning application and maps two sections of the road are in full black lines and the roundabout and the road leading up to the business park are in dotted lines. oh and I'm pretty much certain the planning drawing actually says proposed on it, its been a while since i looked at the drawing so I'd have to check. so sorry to rain on your parade pete

Its because the estate was marketed including that road as a given.
    no it wasnt, the estate was marketed as a bunch of houses and that's it, there was no mention of shops, creche or school at any open house during the sale pf phases 1&2 not certain about phase 3 coz i never bothered going back coz i didn't like the build. if the estate agent said "yes sure there's a road" there then they lied to you

The same way that as there was to be a school (now arriving 7 years later), local shop and health centre (units only built 3 years ago)...... But what is the point.

how were you misled? and what do you mean the school is only arriving, its been there 2 years. they sold you a house and all that involved nothing else, if you decided to not review the planning application for that estate and in the surrounding areas that's your fault not theirs.

And seeing as you like to be fussy about your details, Swords Business Park is nowhere near this site.

my bad i meant airside business park, the one with the lake at the roundabout beside B&Q. there is a proposed road running from the roundabout inside that business park right down to the proposed ring road

EDIT: i might also point out you never actually answered my question. so I'll ask it again.

can you provide proof that there IS a provision in place stopping any further development in the area until this road is completed?

the bolt wrote: »
    where would you suggest i would park when using it,swords is bad enough for parking as it is.but i would rather if tescos were to rent/build down in airside and keep all the shops together instead of bits popping up everywhere.

In the multistorey car park the council was meant to build years ago. :mad:

a decision was made by fingal to request more information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

a decision was made by fingal to request more information.

Faolchu, have you heard anymore on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭teR_

I take its going in here so?

29959ca835c482289ccc8c9382cd3eff.png

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

No I think it will be at the next roundabout, the one next to The Holywell estate.

celticbest wrote: »
    Faolchu, have you heard anymore on this?

application was sent back for clarification and revision as far as i know, but the revisions are minor like reduce the number of parking spaces which will be music to the ears of people living in holywell :rolleyes:, some clarification on water run off into malahide estuary. they have 6 months to provide the clarifications as far as i know. but from reading the councils decision to me anyway they dont seem to give a rats ass that a number of local shops will now most probably be forced with closure because they cant compete with what Tesco can bring to the table. they probably have the opinion that sure if they work in a spar they can work in a tesco. so unless someone makes a huge snafu i think its probably goning to go in. the Fingal Councilers have probably already spent the security bond Albany will place during construction

the only benift this brings to the area is a possible increase in resale value but as the estate is already provided for with a shop it wont do much

@teR_ wrong roundabout, next one down at the edge of Holywell as you head to the M1 it will be the waste ground to your left just before the estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

They put up planning permission at the ring road now to complete it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

In the 70s and 80s you couldn't get down the main st even outside rush hour. Problem now is that the parking available is used up, much of it by residents and workers and you canno really run a viable retail business without short term parking. They need to sort this problem out somehow.

Surprised they didn't try to get their paws on what used to be Charlie treacys shop in river valley, there has to be huge potential business there, given the distance from the main shopping areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

shoegirl wrote: »

In the 70s and 80s you couldn't get down the main st even outside rush hour. Problem now is that the parking available is used up, much of it by residents and workers and you canno really run a viable retail business without short term parking. They need to sort this problem out somehow.

Surprised they didn't try to get their paws on what used to be Charlie treacys shop in river valley, there has to be huge potential business there, given the distance from the main shopping areas.

Apparently one of the big supermarkets wanted that unit but Tony wouldn't sell!

Kiera wrote: »

thats been there a while and was announced a few months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

thats been there a while and was announced a few months ago
    No it hasn't. The shop planning permission was in a different spot. The road one only went up 3 weeks ago. I walk past it every evening.

• Advertisement

No it hasn't. The shop planning permission was in a different spot. The road one only went up 3 weeks ago. I walk past it every evening.

think we misunderstand each other. my point was that the fingal independent had an article stating approval and funding was given for the road months ago.

Advertisement