Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco coming to Swords R125

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

celticbest wrote: »
    Just to clarify, is the Tesco proposed for the following spot? TescoHolywell_zps0f07abc6.jpg

From the application this is where I read it to be.

Isn't that a floodplain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

A floodplain for what river? Theres no rivers or lakes anywhere nearby

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Meesared wrote: »
    Not sure how you get to clare hall in 10 mins, takes me 15-20 depending on traffic
    HB Dennis on Airside to Clare Hall takes me 15 mins (on a bike ;))

Never got to Clare Hall in less than 15 mins myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

It does be prone to flooding and there is a small river. The agricultural land where Hollywell was built on was also prone to flooding. There are also two lakes for the wildlife that can be entered from the green amenity area, but I think they are man made. There also seems to be flooding from heavy rainfall at the first roundabout going in to Hollywell, and there was series flooding in Hollywell just after the estate opened up....if you look at the walls going from that roundabout up towards the new school you'll stukk see the watermark on some of the walls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Never got to Clare Hall in less than 15 mins myself

I'd be about that from Rathbeale Road, less than it takes to get into Pavillions most Sundays!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Well something is going to be built in that field at some stage, whether it's a Tesco or not. There is no way they will leave it an empty field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Kumsheen wrote: »
    Well something is going to be built in that field at some stage, whether it's a Tesco or not. There is no way they will leave it an empty field.

Why not? Its been empty for the last 20 years?

peteb2 wrote: »
    Why not? Its been empty for the last 20 years?

That's not much of a reason.

The Airside / Holywell area is zoned for development so i'd expect something to go in that field at some stage, once a potential occupier is sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

there was a diverted river down by the M1 called the Gaybrook (i think), its now underground and i believe feeds into the Malahide estaury. it also ran through holywell at one point. Holywell way is now prone to continual flooding something the council have been aware of for years

The plus side is that the employment created both while building and then when the store is opened would be a major boost to the area.
    what about the employment lost in the local store in holywell and kinsealy due to a supermarket gone in? not counting the smaller retail hardware stores that have already been effected by woodies/B&Q. tesco also carries a small hardware section and alos an electrical section. this will impact the existing small suppliers in the greater swords area. its not as simple as new shopping centre = more jobs for area, yes it does but it also means that other businesses face closure due to its existance.

someone mentioned that clarehall isnt on any public transport or that the 43 isnt convenient. not its not but this center wont be on a transport link either unless you count the swords express which is pretty expensive to my knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

The Airside / Holywell area is zoned for development so i'd expect something to go in that field at some stage, once a potential occupier is sought.

i thought that area was zoned Scientific and technology. least it was when i last looked at teh planns :confused::confused: or maybe thats further up

Faolchu wrote: »
    i thought that area was zoned Scientific and technology. least it was when i last looked at teh planns :confused::confused: or maybe thats further up

You are correct. It's zoned for Office and Technology. All i'm saying is that something will go into that field at some stage.

It wont stay a field forever.

Realistically it's probably going to end up with a retail unit(s) of some sort.

The only way I will be happy to see anything go in that land is if the current owner sells it to someone else to build on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I live in the side of Holywell the Tesco will be going up at, and I'm pretty happy about it. At the min I get my shopping delivered, as it's a major time saver. I'll defo be getting stuff there if it opens.

The only issue is traffic; I already have a hard time with the noise of road traffic late at night and early in the morning, so it'll be ten times worse when Tesco opens.

With that in mind, why would you be happy to see it going in so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

With that in mind, why would you be happy to see it going in so?

Because there's a shocking lack of amenities in the immediate area of Holywell if you don't drive. The only thing is spar, and it's a pretty mediocre on to be honest. Never stocked consistently I find. If they perhaps manage the traffic properly, it might be ok (not sure how they'd do that though).

Please!! This goes back to a point made earlier on. If you have no car, are you seriously going to walk back from Tesco's with all your shopping? How are you intending on doing that? Removing a trolley illegally from the premises?

Please!! This goes back to a point made earlier on. If you have no car, are you seriously going to walk back from Tesco's with all your shopping? How are you intending on doing that? Removing a trolley illegally from the premises?

Well, if you only live next door then you can probably drop in more often. You don't need to do a weekly shop in one go.

I normally use the bike to shop as i prefer to avoid the parking/traffic/damage hassles, i do have to use the car sometimes when i need to get some really heavy stuff though.

so if you are on the bike Dunnes is in easy reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

That's me signing off until the 15.01.2013 when a decision is due to be made by An Bord Pleanála. (Hopefully the right one is made and work can begin ASAP in the New Year)

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/241043.htm

D-Day, application not updated yet :(

• Advertisement

Looking good so!

Looking good so!

:confused:

looking good for a NO!

looking good for a NO!

:confused: Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

peteb2 wrote:
    looking good for a NO!

:confused: Why?

Let's not re-hash the old arguments that have already litter this thread.

tHB

Decision delayed until the 12th of March....

TescoSwords_zps1d6604a6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 42 coconutpie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Very disappointed to hear that...without wishing to rehash all the same well-worn arguments in this thread.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well there goes the neighbourhood.

Slow clap for An Bord Pleanalla for putting the final nail in the coffin to the main street in Swords, for allowing David Daly to now commence another development where he has not rectified problems within the estate and ford creating a bigger traffic problem before the ring road goes in. Oh but wait the paid reports say that traffic wouldn't increase. Because sure people would just be passing by anyway and wouldnt go out of their way to go shopping there. I'm always just passing Aldi in Santry as opposed to driving there to get my shopping because its cheaper!!

And you know what will happen? The development will be half completed and then Fingal Co Co will realise that althought permission was granted that Nucleus only owned part of the land and they don't own where the carparking will be. And that'll probably take about another 7 years to sort!!

Don't worry mods I'll get my jacket and close the door behind me on the way out!

• Advertisement

Eh I'd be happy to see it, I live in Holywell, and having a Tesco nearby would be very convenient!

Advertisement